Which portrait lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

limetouch

Oct 8, 2008
Boon Keng
flickr.com
Hi all,

I am in some sort of a dilemma. I am not sure which portrait lens I should get. Currently torn between the 35mm f/1.8g, 35mm f2 and the 50mm f/1.4d for my D90. Any advice?

Thanks.

Do a search on the forum - not all lenses are suitable for portrait shots. Each has its distinctive distortion and characteristic. Understand what you need and the more experienced ones around here can help you narrow down your search.

I like my 105mm f/2.5 AiS for portraits.

Portrait lenses are ones that typically give very a slightly more compressed perspective typically ard 85mm to under 200mm ( although you can probably use even a more telephoto one like some professional photogs use )

The issue of wider lenses being they can potentially exaggerate some of the features such as the nose for instance when you get too near them.

If I have to choose amongst the three lenses, the 50mm f1.4 on a cropped sensor would be my choice.

Here is a nice read on portrait lenses.

Ryan

These are Portrait len which I use over the years.
AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8D IF-ED
AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 SLII
Nikkor Ai-S 105mm f/2.5
Nikkor Ai-S 135mm f/2.8

I think for a lens to qualify as a portrait lens, it must have the 'telephoto' characteristic in it. 35mm glass on a cropped sensor only makes it a normal lens. The obvious choice here will be the 50mm glass, which will operate like a 75mm on a cropped senosr (in my opinion, still not suitable to be a portrait lens).

This is mainly the reason why 50mm still not suitable..
"...Lenses with a focal length less than 80mm are no good. They make noses look too big because the photographer has to get in too close. The ideal portrait lens has a focal length in the range 90mm to 135mm. These keep the natural proportions of the face as you see with the naked eye..."

Pls read this thread.

EXACTLY the same question.

need some tips

Firstly, perspective does not depend on focal length. It depends on subject distance. So first decide how far you want to stand. I usually stand about 2-3m away for indoor portraits because that is the limit of a hdb flat. At that distance, on a crop sensor:

full length portrait: 24-35mm
3/4 to half body: 35-50mm
head and shoulders/head: 85 (I am still missing this focal length)-105mm

This is just a rough guideline and things will change according to how much space you have.

I'm using a 50mm F1.8 Manual focus lens on my D90. Good for a portrait lens but I'm also intending to get the 35mm F1.8 too. Depends on your preference i guesst... I just need one that Auto Focuses kekekeke

If manual focusing is not an issue, I really like my Tokina 90mm f/2.5 ATX macro for portrait work. It's sharp at close distance and at infinity too.

You should also take a look at the DC lens test thread that I put up about 4 days back.

That is the portrait lens that I would recommend on any given day.

Last edited:
If manual focusing is not an issue, I really like my Tokina 90mm f/2.5 ATX macro for portrait work. It's sharp at close distance and at infinity too.

I also like my Nikkor MF Lens 55mmF2.8 Macro.
this is my multi-purpose lens.(portrait and Macro)

I'm on the 85mm f/1.8 for portraits

Hi all,

I was reading this book: "The Digital Photography Book volume 2" by Scott Kelby,
in this book there was a a page that he was talking about using wide angle lens to take protraits. I found it made quite alot of sense as the key phrase was "Shoot Wide and push it tight".

When you push in tight on the subject,the subject would not look distorted but the back ground do looks abit distorted. But this technique is quite widely practiced in the US magazines,most photographers are breaking the rule of using tele photo to shoot portraits.

One well know photographer other than Scott Kelby who is using this technique is Joe McNally who taught him this trick of "Shoot wide and push it tight".

But if you guys want to shoot tele photo for portraits for more flattering images its totally fine:D

I hope this information help you guys on looking at another perspective of using wide angle lens to take portrait rather than just the old school telephoto for portrait. :)

Rgds,
Chongk.

Status
Not open for further replies.