which photo editing software is FREE or cheap to purchase?

chindaryl

Jun 6, 2012

Gimp is free

There is SageLight which is a good deal now at US$39.95 which buys into all later versions of the program.
Sagelight Image Editor
I downloaded a copy and it does have quite a lot of nice features.
However, I'm not buying since I can't get my rusty old head around the way it works w/o layers (it uses masking and a selective Undo brush instead).

Free programs, there is GIMP and Paint.net

For others, there is the sticky on this sub-forum with plenty of good recommendations.

Have been using Irfranview as my "first to go " photo editing/viewing program since 1996. It's completely free, loads blazingly fast, can read exif etc and even supports RAW files. Best of all it is extremely ez to use. I use it when I don't need to do extensive retouch w Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop. I highly recommend it ! :thumbsup:

IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

Faststone is a popular free photo editor to make adjustments.

If you're using a Mac I recommend Snapseed. Very easy and intuitive to use with great results. But not if you want layer masking, cloning, etc.

Hi all,
Any of the free software listed here offer batch processing? Does it also include curve, add borders & add signature water mark?
Thanks!

I down loaded & installed the GIMP 2.8 & also installed the BIMP plug-in. I tried but unable to do batch processing. There's error.

i haven been using windows live viewer to do the editing! very easy to use :)

Hi all,
Any of the free software listed here offer batch processing? Does it also include curve, add borders & add signature water mark?
What stops you from checking the links and homepages? Features get updated over the time.

i haven been using windows live viewer to do the editing! very easy to use :)
Do yourself a favor and start using the software that came with your camera. Windows Photo Viewer is the last thing you want to use for editing.

Do yourself a favor and start using the software that came with your camera. Windows Photo Viewer is the last thing you want to use for editing.

its really easy to use an im an idiot when it comes to photoshop! but i just trialed lightroom 4 and i think im buying it :p

its really easy to use an im an idiot when it comes to photoshop! but i just trialed lightroom 4 and i think im buying it :p

Then quickly buy from Pic N Pixel at Funan. They have 20% discount on all Adobe products. So the LR4 is at $198. Cheaper than Adobe SEA direct download ($217).

Then quickly buy from Pic N Pixel at Funan. They have 20% discount on all Adobe products. So the LR4 is at $198. Cheaper than Adobe SEA direct download ($217).

Thanks! i have not tried but looking at the us website to purchase, its $149 usd which is technically still cheaper after conversion and i dont have to travel :p

The fastest way is a download form Adobe using a credit card. The box is just decoration. Next, read up about display calibration, get at least a basic one (e.g. Spyder 3 or the recent Spyder 4), otherwise all editing work is in vain if your display does not show the colours as encoded in the image. Another topic is 'embedded ICC profiles' .. and you will understand why Windows Photo Viewer is nothing you want to use for your images.
Lightroom has a large user base with a dedicated Lightroom Forum, but even the standard online help gives plenty of support.