which macro lens for canon s1is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delek

Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
hi guys

i am a noob who just got hold of the canon s1is

i am very interested in macro shots but i can't get a good DOF with my default setup

what are the lens i need to buy ??

of cos the cheaper the better :D

thanks in advance!

Delek said:
hi guys

i am a noob who just got hold of the canon s1is

i am very interested in macro shots but i can't get a good DOF with my default setup
Digital camera has the best DOF ( everything sharp ). Maybe you have problem to get the magnification like 1:1.

Delek said:
what are the lens i need to buy ??

of cos the cheaper the better :D

thanks in advance!
You can try Closeup filter like 58mm HOYA Closeup +4 cost abt $30+- . Set your focal length to max, turn off the macro mode and focus at 1 feet to 1.5 feet.

thanks for your advise

but what about shutter speed

for eg : if the insect is moving , if i set shutter speed low the focus insect will be blur right?

so should i set hi shutter speed ? for moving objects?

Delek said:
but what about shutter speed

for eg : if the insect is moving , if i set shutter speed low the focus insect will be blur right?

so should i set hi shutter speed ? for moving objects?

shutter speed is depend on your focal length. Usually for me like 370mm (10x zoom) , try not to take slower than 1/160 sec with IS on

as for moving object :sweat: , try speed like 1/500sec or faster OR above speed if the object is hovering ..

Thanks for your tips man!

will try it out and post my results here~!!!

I have a S1 IS and have been trying to shoot good macros with it (so far with very moderate success ;) ). I experimented with a +4 Hoya filter for the first time. here are two samples. Both sub-centimeter subjects, AV mode, F8, no flash, full 10x zoom. First one with tripod, second handheld
Grass.jpg

----
ant%20queen.jpg

wow

from ur results i can really see the diff between with and without the close up lens

alan photo quote me 50 dollars for the adapter and 35 dollars for +4 lens

is that a good deal?

megaweb said:
the shot suffers from shallow DOF and distortion

try to use smaller aperture like f8 or smaller

thx megaweb. point noted. anyways, f8 is smallest i could go with S1 IS. shot was handheld (i'm not too good at it :embrass: ) and the subject was scurrying like crazy (you know ants).
distortion due to +4 filter?

can i use a 52mm hoya +4 close up lens on this s1is ?

damithc said:
thx megaweb. point noted. anyways, f8 is smallest i could go with S1 IS. shot was handheld (i'm not too good at it :embrass: ) and the subject was scurrying like crazy (you know ants).
distortion due to +4 filter?
the softness could be due to the slowness of the shutter speed and the distortion is caused by poor built filter. Even you use the expensive closeup filter like 250D or 5/6T , you will see lesser distortion ...

hey there.. i read somewhere in dpforum it says tat for macro wif the S1 u shd zoom out (without 10x) magnification.. somehow when u use e +4 filter u zoom in instead? tats wat i gather from here... :dunno:

Slik said:
hey there.. i read somewhere in dpforum it says tat for macro wif the S1 u shd zoom out (without 10x) magnification.. somehow when u use e +4 filter u zoom in instead? tats wat i gather from here... :dunno:
I don't claim any expertise in this area either, but may be it's a different story when you use the closeup lense. Anyhow, you DO have to zoom to achieve the highest magnification. Not sure whether this degrades the quality... :dunno:

silk, could you give a pointer to the dpforum thread you are referring to?

heh peeps

i am in thailand now

saw this kenko 52mm uv filter going for 10 sing dollars

does uv filter help with day shots alot?

cos i heard that the filter can remove the bluish tinge cause by uv rays right/

Status
Not open for further replies.