Which lens to use for wedding?

Which lens would you use?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
wormz777 said:
Why only 1 lens? --> Cos the photographer will be wearing formal wear and would not be able to carry a cam bag

I am undecided btw these 2 lenses mainly becos

1) the 28-135 is slow but has gd range
2) the 20-35 is relatively fast but limited range.

I will try to avoid using flash as much as possible and will be shooting mainly, if not pure b&w.

Candids will be part of the aim, but will also attempt to document the whole process so as to put together in a album.

Thanks all who replied. More opinions and ideas please!!
;)

the 20-35 maybe a f2.8, but images are very soft when shoot wide open.

If you're using a DSLR, 20-35 maybe give u a slightly better coverage than the 28-135. But on film or ff DSLR, 28-135 works better for me.

Hi,
If I am the only photography for the wedding day. What Lens should I use? I have

EOS 3 & EOS 50
20mm f2.8
28-135mm USM
420 EX Flash

Should I bring 2 camera for the wedding day ceremory? Pls advise. I am nervous because this is my 1st time.:cry:

newbie here..

only shot one wedding years ago for my dad's friend..
anyway...since you have a spare camera...its always good to bring it along..

cos i have heard of cases, where the ONE camera just screwed up on the photographer...
shutter jammed...
and of cos...i have also heard of a case where the spare camera was stolen.
so be careful too..

Cheers..

chickentang said:
Hi,
If I am the only photography for the wedding day. What Lens should I use? I have

EOS 3 & EOS 50
20mm f2.8
28-135mm USM
420 EX Flash

Should I bring 2 camera for the wedding day ceremory? Pls advise. I am nervous because this is my 1st time.:cry:
You are the Only One photographer? and this is your 1st time? Hope you didn't voluntee for this, you should get someone more exprience than you as main...
Anyway, not gonna repeat why should or why should not again...

Bring all the above, bring extra film, not one or two more, is bring double of the rolls, same as batteries, bring double.

Just use 28~135 mounted EOS 3, plus flash,
slow down,
think ahead,
act fast

Hope this help.

:) :)
catchlights said:
You are the Only One photographer? and this is your 1st time? Hope you didn't voluntee for this, you should get someone more exprience than you as main...
Anyway, not gonna repeat why should or why should not again...

Bring all the above, bring extra film, not one or two more, is bring double of the rolls, same as batteries, bring double.

Just use 28~135 mounted EOS 3, plus flash,
slow down,
think ahead,
act fast

Hope this help.

Thanks a lot Catchlight....

So far I did two wedding shoot for my cousins ... all with my D50 and kit lens, SB800 speedlight included.

but my kit lens go bust at the very end of the second wedding and I don't have a spare lens then... :angry:

Luckily my other cousins have a D70s and Panasonic FZ20 ready ... :sweatsm: :sweatsm:

I choosed 20-35 f2.8L

Fix aperture is the best...

No pro here, but I've taken wedding photos for quite a few friends/family members

I'd chose 28-135mm on the condition that I would use a flash (mainly bounced for the day photos).

Though 20-35mm, f2.8 is good for limited depth of field effects, natural light photos and wider angle (esp. if gathering is huge and you got limited space to move back), for a wedding I'd be looking for dependability. Don't want to screw up fiddling with lenses, odd lighting, etc.

Personal weapon of choice would be a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. Good price, Fast, Sharp.
However, Camera+2 lens+flash is not too heavy, so why not take all.

Mostly I use either 18-70mm or 17-50 f2.8 zoom lens for Malay weddings I shoot.

So far I did two wedding shoot for my cousins ... all with my D50 and kit lens, SB800 speedlight included.

but my kit lens go bust at the very end of the second wedding and I don't have a spare lens then... :angry:

Curious.. what exactly happened to your lens?

If i were backup photographer and situation is only allow to carry one lens and can't use flash,in that case ,i need to discuss with main photographer first.
Which lens he mostly use,if he is using 17-55 f2.8 or 24-70 f2.8,then i only try to help him to save for ANGLE concern shots and also try to capture the best smile and happy moments of the couple,
i mean if he shoots from left side while couple toss the champagne,then i shoot from right side.
So,obviously i dunt need f2.8 with limited focal length,i will choose 28-135 to cover up all distances for my main photographer,yes i need to boost high ISO.
So my conclusion here is-
1- discuss with main photographer first
2- then if he use 17-55 f2.8 or 24-70 f2.8,i will choose 28-135.
Bcoz i believe he won't use only 70-300 or 55-200 as he is main and PRO photographer.

Status
Not open for further replies.