Which lens to bring for event coverage at MBS Convention Hall?

prec85

Aug 21, 2008
Anyone has experience of covering an event in MBS Grand Ballroom? Estimated to be about 1000 pax in attendance.

Which lens should I bring? Am looking to only bring my Canon 7D and not another body.

Last edited:
Anyone has experience of covering an event in MBS Convention Hall? Estimated to be about 1000 pax in attendance.

Which lens should I bring? Am looking to only bring my Canon 7D and not another body.

Most important question is,

What is the lighting like?

I will be bringing external flash so not an issue. I guess i am more worried about being either too short or too long a lens to adequately cover most of the parts.

I will be bringing external flash so not an issue. I guess i am more worried about being either too short or too long a lens to adequately cover most of the parts.

If all the lens in your arsenal is in your sig, I would pick the Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 XR Di Aspherical since you have an external flash.

oops.. forgot to update my sig.

for event coverage, i use a tammy 18-270. can cover wide angle and tele and don't need to keep changing lenses or carry and extra body.
i like it light and effective
flash is most important in such events, which you already have.

Most professionals like to either use f/2.8 zooms or mount 2 fast primes.

for event coverage, i use a tammy 18-270. can cover wide angle and tele and don't need to keep changing lenses or carry and extra body.
i like it light and effective
flash is most important in such events, which you already have.
i dont think a long range zoom like that is a good choice for events in terms of speed and sharpness... pardon me if im wrong but i would agree with Blur Shadow and have a 2.8 zoom if im covering an event. especially an indoor one like TS mentioned.

so should i bring a 70-200 F2.8L IS as i do not want to spend my time walking to the front of the stage to cover the performances and speech segments and having to walk back again to cover other stuffs?

so should i bring a 70-200 F2.8L IS as i do not want to spend my time walking to the front of the stage to cover the performances and speech segments and having to walk back again to cover other stuffs?

You're the first to be asking such questions... Most of them are 16-35 or 24-70 depending on the cam body... No one I have seen uses 70-200 for the sake of not wanting to walk back and forth...

Up to you man... If you're the photographer, you make the call.

Anyone has experience of covering an event in MBS Grand Ballroom? Estimated to be about 1000 pax in attendance.

I would suggest you to bring along all your lens and try to keep them near so that you may change easily if needed. Every event is different, just bring what you have in anticipation of the unexpected. :)

I would suggest you to bring along all your lens and try to keep them near so that you may change easily if needed. Every event is different, just bring what you have in anticipation of the unexpected. :)

Bring all the lens and you can be the official photographer...Remember to get a official tag from MBS.....HAHA ...enjoy photo taking ....

Recently my gf shot in mbs convention hall. Seems that the colour shift is very bad. if you intend to use your flash you'll need to balance it. Getting a gel to help out works here.