Which Lens is good for taking Portraits and Wedding shoots?

makamaka

Aug 3, 2012
Singapore
Hi, Like to hear from all bros and sis here on what is the best lenses to use for taking Portraits and wedding photos?

Thanks.

Most lenses are good.

You gotta know what result you'd like to achieve, what shooting environment, etc.. and from there you choose the gears you need.

Generally speaking, for wedding (actual day), usually a fast (f2.8) zoom + flash is good enough. Or can go with two bodies n primes setup (for focal length flexibility), if one prefers prime.

For portrait.. Well you practically can use any lens.. Some people produce great results using fast prime, some do it using wide angle.. Can use macro lens and kit lens as well :)

My 2 cents.

Some swears by primes, some prefer zoom, some love pasta, some prefer kfc, beats me... I'd say any lens that's not defective is a good one, THAT and perhaps a 200mm or 300mm prime is NO good for wedding, especially when shooting in bride's room.

Hi, Like to hear from all bros and sis here on what is the best lenses to use for taking Portraits and wedding photos?

Thanks.

Depends on your style. I mean, this is probably the 500th thread asking this question. Next time, please search before you post.

Thanks.
if you are first time shoot a wedding, use the lens you have now, even it is kit lens is also fine.
the key thing is use lens that you are familiar with.

because the best lens is the lens you are MOST familiar with.

DO NOT TRY SOMETHING NEW at a wedding, a wedding is a wedding, not an occasion for you to do experiment.

It is best for you and the wedding families that you make yourself familiar with lenses in general and the results they can give you. No point that we list down everything that has been used by many people in much more occasions - it may not fit your actual situation. You have to think, try for yourself and see whether the result is what you want and (that's actually the more important reason) what the people expect from you.
If you think that just because of your new camera you suddenly hear a calling for being a wedding photographer then please read the many threads about these wannabe wedding snappers and the comments from professionals.

Thanks all for your comments!

Actually just seeking opinions on what lenses i should buy as iam intending to learn and shoot more on portraits.

Lenses i have in mind is actually Canon 50mm f1.4 , 85mm f1.8 and also macro len - tamron 90mm f2.8

Actually just seeking opinions on what lenses i should buy as iam intending to learn and shoot more on portraits.

Lenses i have in mind is actually Canon 50mm f1.4 , 85mm f1.8 and also macro len - tamron 90mm f2.8

Shooting portraits doesn't mean that you have to buy all the listed lens. Shoot with your current setup (I'm assuming you are using 18-55 or (at least) something along the kit lens line), find out what you lack then upgrade from that point onwards. Whatever mentioned here is usually what suits them the most in that kind of situation, It may not apply to you.

For portraits, you are going for head shots, head and shoulder, 1/2 body or full body? Depending on what you want to shoot, the focal length may differ also. Environmental portrait (subject + scenery kinda) or Studio portrait?
For wedding, (no suggestions, since I don't shoot these) But, I would be using 70-200 which is not what official photog usually use for AD. (trying to stay out of the way of the main photog)

*If you don't know what to shoot, how to shoot, how to upgrade?*

Still, if you are really looking at buying something, try out the 50 f1.8 first. The price for what you pay for this lens is pretty impressive for what it can deliver.

*btw, getting the gear is the easy part.... how to shoot, when to shoot, what to shoot is usually what takes the photog many years to master*

Last edited:

you don't need to BUY those lenses to learn and shoot wedding and portrait,

wedding and portrait is not just about what lenses you should use,

if you still think you need to acquire some lenses to learn shooting wedding and portrait, you heading the wrong direction.

Hi Skystrike,

Thanks for your views. Iam intending to go for full body portraits shots. Will use my current lenses to shoot then.

Rgds,
Marcus

Hi Catchlights,

Thanks for your advice. Understand now, its the skills that matter.

Rgds,
Marcus