Which lens i should buy for my travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i would recommend the 24-105 F4L IS. Very good all-rounder.
and combo with EFS 10-22mm if u need ultra wide angle.
and combo with 100-400L if u need ultra zoom.

:sweatsm:

Canon 24-85mm - If on low budget

Canon 17-85 IS - If can spend a little more

canon 24-105 - If you have $1600 to spend

Again it depends where you are going. Shooting streets and landscape with 24mm is definitely NOT wide enough very often. Just put on your kit lens and turn it to 24mm ..go try.

if you can really afford ... 24-105 L F4 IS lens plus 70-200 L F4 IS lens.
if not ... Canon 17-85 IS lens. :)

Anyone care to PM me the price of 18-200 or 18-250 be it sigma or tamron?I'm heading to Aussie in two weeks' time and am not too sure if i should carry my kit lens on the 400D or to buy a new one.Weather there would be winter,-2.:confused:

For me I am using a Tamron 18-200 F3.5-6.3 on my EOS 30D for walk around and travel oversea. It give me good result. It cost about S$600+. Remember to use this lens at F/8 for better result...Happy buying...;)

Wah..so many replies. Thanks everyone.
I think money still quite tight for me now, that why i only look for the lens which cost around 600~800.

I have the standard kit lens (18-55mm) with me now. As you all suggested, i glanced through quite a few photography websites, i think i would prefer to have the wide angle lens rather than the telephoto zoom lens.

EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
I do research on this lens, it has a very gd reviews and it is within my budget. However, i think it is not wide enough.

AF 17-50mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF)
17mm wide enough? I look at other people landscape picture, normally the focus range is around 10-12mm in order to capture the whole scenery or building. Is fix aparture size very important? i know it is useful for low light condition and bokeh effect, but it is really worth it since the fix aparture size lens will be much more expensive? Or i should look for the lens below? If i buy this lens, that means i can sell out my kit lens, since it cover almost the same range.

EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM (Canon)
10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM (Sigma)
AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di-II (Tamron)

Once again, thanks for all the comments here. By the way, what is "TS" means huh?

Wah..so many replies. Thanks everyone.
I think money still quite tight for me now, that why i only look for the lens which cost around 600~800.

I have the standard kit lens (18-55mm) with me now. As you all suggested, i glanced through quite a few photography websites, i think i would prefer to have the wide angle lens rather than the telephoto zoom lens.

EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
I do research on this lens, it has a very gd reviews and it is within my budget. However, i think it is not wide enough.

AF 17-50mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF)
17mm wide enough? I look at other people landscape picture, normally the focus range is around 10-12mm in order to capture the whole scenery or building. Is fix aparture size very important? i know it is useful for low light condition and bokeh effect, but it is really worth it since the fix aparture size lens will be much more expensive? Or i should look for the lens below? If i buy this lens, that means i can sell out my kit lens, since it cover almost the same range.

EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM (Canon)
10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM (Sigma)
AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di-II (Tamron)

Once again, thanks for all the comments here.

You are right to say that 28mm will probably not be wide enough for you. I'd say stick to your kit lens for wide angles shooting. Its 18mm end is pretty decent, as long as you stop down to about f/8.

Another thing to note is focus range and focal length should not be confused. Focus range is the distance that you are focusing at, while focal length refers to focal length of a lens (eg 50mm, 70-200mm etc.)

Actually, the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 is a lens within your budget, and yes, fixed aperture (not aparture, appature or whatever) does make a difference. Take your kit lens as comparison; your kit lens has a maximum aperture size of f/5.6 at 50mm. In contrast, the Tamron has a max aperture size of f/2.8 at 50mm (because it's fixed throughout the zoom range), which gives it a two-stop advantage - that translates to a shutter speed four times faster, which is a world of difference when you're shooting low light.

I'd say go for the Tamron, then save for a dedicated wide angle if you want. Of the three choices you placed above, I'd go for the Canon one if I could, then the Sigma. Do consider the Tokina 12-24 also, as it is a very sharp lens that has a fixed f/4 max aperture throughout its zoom range. The Tamron is reported to be soft, and it is more expensive than the other third party ultra-wides, so I wouldn't consider it.

TS means Thread Starter, YOU!

You are right to say that 28mm will probably not be wide enough for you. I'd say stick to your kit lens for wide angles shooting. Its 18mm end is pretty decent, as long as you stop down to about f/8.

Another thing to note is focus range and focal length should not be confused. Focus range is the distance that you are focusing at, while focal length refers to focal length of a lens (eg 50mm, 70-200mm etc.)

Actually, the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 is a lens within your budget, and yes, fixed aperture (not aparture, appature or whatever) does make a difference. Take your kit lens as comparison; your kit lens has a maximum aperture size of f/5.6 at 50mm. In contrast, the Tamron has a max aperture size of f/2.8 at 50mm (because it's fixed throughout the zoom range), which gives it a two-stop advantage - that translates to a shutter speed four times faster, which is a world of difference when you're shooting low light.

I'd say go for the Tamron, then save for a dedicated wide angle if you want. Of the three choices you placed above, I'd go for the Canon one if I could, then the Sigma. Do consider the Tokina 12-24 also, as it is a very sharp lens that has a fixed f/4 max aperture throughout its zoom range. The Tamron is reported to be soft, and it is more expensive than the other third party ultra-wides, so I wouldn't consider it.

i concur wif wad u said. Good eplanation~~ :)

Sigma 17-70mm f2.8

It covers a wide range and it is a fast lens.

Sigma 17-70mm f2.8

It covers a wide range and it is a fast lens.

It's not a fixed f/2.8 zoom. It goes from f/2.8-4.5, as roadrunner pointed out. Please check the specs before posting, in order to avoid possible confusion.

That said, this is quite a good lens, though it's soft wide open. Very versatile, and it does pretty decent close-up, but don't expect corner to corner sharpness wide open, as it doesn't have a floating element group like macro lenses do.

10-22 is my favourite lens. i only brought this lens when i went to greece in february. it is so sharp that i can crop the centre one third of the picture n still looks good on my laptop as my desktop picture.

efs 17-85 is a good wide angle lens for travelling and packing light..

or if you want primes, the ubiquitous 50mm f1.4 or 1.8 would be good too...

A newbie to DSLR camera (Canon EOS 350D).
Should i buy a long range telephoto zoom lens (75-300mm) or (17-50mm) f2.8 for my travel photography?

Would u mind share which part of the world u are travelling to? It might help.

10-22 is my favourite lens. i only brought this lens when i went to greece in february. it is so sharp that i can crop the centre one third of the picture n still looks good on my laptop as my desktop picture.

That's dependent more on resolution than on sharpness. In general, most lenses are sharper in the center than at the borders any way.

Would u mind share which part of the world u are travelling to? It might help.

Taiwan is my target at the end of this year.:)

Thinking maybe buy tamron 17-50mm f2.8, sell my kit lens to buy 50mm f1.8. Is it a choice? i think temporary i will give up long telephoto zoom lens first.

Taiwan is my target at the end of this year.:)

u might need 10-22, 24-70, and 70-200 for taiwan trip...
end of the year is raining season, so most of the time will be using 24-70 as is difficult to change lens.when go to moutain area and taipei 101, u need 10-22 and 70-200.when u watch performance, 70-200 or 24-70 will be nice from ur seat. I was there last yr, with all the lens mention, didnt regret at all.plus a marco lens will be gd too....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.