Which LCD Monitor to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Samsung 245T is a S-PVA panel. The brochure is wrong apparently. I would get the 245T in a blink of an eye if I had the budget.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_245t.htm
Thank bro for the confirmation

According to Anandtech it uses a S-PVA panel, but manufacturers sometimes switch panels without switching model name.

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3221
Wow they switched panel without informing??? Guess I need to open up the box to test if it's PVA or TN panel at the shop before I run off home. :sweat:

some comments:-

- a 22" monitor has 1680X1050 pixels while a 24" has 1920X1200. other than photo editing, the higher resolution will allow you to run full HD DVDs/Blu-ray Discs through a HDMI cable (HDMI is rare on 22" monitors).

- for photo editing S-PVA would be better than TN. IPS is the best but even more expensive than S-PVA.

- check for 1:1 pixel mapping. the Dell 2406, LG246 and BenQ G2400W all have it but not the 24" Samsungs or the Phillips.

- another comment on the Samsungs - make sure you try out the monitor controls and see if you like them. I hated them - difficult to differentiate by touch and way too sensitive

- overall, unless you can afford the Dell 2408, I would recommend the BenQ if you can get it at the PC show price of $629; 2nd choice is LG at $599

Err ...what's 1:1 mapping means? I read abt Dell's 2408 and some seems to like it, the same goes to Samsung 245T. I am deliberating between the two at the moment.

Wow they switched panel without informing??? Guess I need to open up the box to test if it's PVA or TN panel at the shop before I run off home. :sweat:

No no, I'm not saying they did it with this one. There was another monitor where they did that, can't remember if it is an Acer or something.

The Samsung 245T is a S-PVA panel. I have 1 sitting on my table at home.

Those LG or BenQ which surefire mentioned are TN panels.

I read somewhere in the internet that Dell the switched panel. Seems like they send a IPS panel for review but then sold some displays with the PVA/MVA panels.

Just called up Cybermind minutes ago to check on the stocks for 245T. Manger there was nice to allow me to hook up my lappy to their monitors some time back. But they do not have the stocks for 245T , said till end of the month. Not even samsung SG have the stock.

Wow ...didn't realsied that it's such a hot item despite the price.

I have walked SLS but many do not carried them. Maybe I missed out some shops. Any CSer here can recommend any good places to check out the avalibility?

The Samsung 245T is a S-PVA panel. I have 1 sitting on my table at home.

Those LG or BenQ which surefire mentioned are TN panels.

I read somewhere in the internet that Dell the switched panel. Seems like they send a IPS panel for review but then sold some displays with the PVA/MVA panels.

yes, the LG and BenQ are TN. given the price ($1,035), i am sure the Samsung 245T must be an S-PVA panel (same as the Dell 2408).

Err ...what's 1:1 mapping means? I read abt Dell's 2408 and some seems to like it, the same goes to Samsung 245T. I am deliberating between the two at the moment.

1:1 pixel mapping means exactly what it says; a 640 X 480 video image will occupy 640 X 480 pixels of the monitor screen - the rest will be black. You can also do a proportionate upscaling so that the image becomes 1600 X 1200 with black vertical bars on both sides.

The problem with monitors without 1:1 mapping is that it will stretch (and distort) all images to the full size of the screen so that a 640 X 480 image becomes 1920 X 1200.

I am not sure if the 245T has 1:1 mapping - someone else may be able to chip in here. Make sure you at least try out the controls on the 245T as I suggested above - I couldn't get used to them.

Another 24" candidate which has 1:1 is the HP2408 - for those who like glossy screens. It is selling for $799 - most likely TN panel too.

You can read a review of the newer BenQ V2400W (will soon be available in Spore) here to understand 1:1 mapping:-

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1315565

If you have time, there are tons of other reviews and helpful info on the hardforum site on every monitor you can think of (just click on "Displays").

Edit: Just remember from this review of the 245T at Anandtech that the main weakness of the monitor is that it does not have 1:1 mapping. Otherwise, it's a good monitor:-

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3221

LG seems to have just introduced a 'newer' version of their L2000C, which is now called L2000CP. LG Funan shop is selling it at $599. This is a S-IPS panel, read here: http://www.lge.com/products/model/detail/l2000cp.jhtml

I was told that it is NOT height adjustable, so only can tilt and swivel. So far, no complete reviews available yet.

$599 + $400 for a colorimeter (Eye One 2 for example) = around $1000. Quite a good package it seems ;p

LG seems to have just introduced a 'newer' version of their L2000C, which is now called L2000CP. LG Funan shop is selling it at $599. This is a S-IPS panel, read here: http://www.lge.com/products/model/detail/l2000cp.jhtml

I was told that it is NOT height adjustable, so only can tilt and swivel. So far, no complete reviews available yet.

$599 + $400 for a colorimeter (Eye One 2 for example) = around $1000. Quite a good package it seems ;p

IPS panel for less then 600 bucks!
Thanks bro... luckily there's no stock at samsung currently for the 245T in singapore. have to wait for next month. There're some old stock though. Now I can check this LG out.

599 for a IPS panel is quite amazing .. :bigeyes:

I think I can guess why it's 599 .... it's 20'' only :sweat:

hmmmm, the LG does looks interesting. Last time i was hunting high & low for the L2000 but was not successful.

I even wrote to LG Singapore that time but was told they didnt bring it in. There was some difference between the L2000C & L2000 bcos 1 was a TN panel.

But now looks like they have up the stakes with a new version L2000C with IPS.

Price and all those additional programs aside. I would choose Dell monitors.

They are really sharp, text appears clean, satisfying colors.

Samsung programs use to "enchance" display, ironically, cant display gradients well. They appearred smudged. Maybe it's my model.

Dell is still selling the their UltraSharp 20" at $459..... Not sure which panel :think:

Dell UltraSharp 2009W 20" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

But I don't see them selling the 22" UltraSharp.... only the super $$$ 24" version. :eek:

Btw..... Another PC SHOW is coming this Aug or Sept..... why not wait till then before you buy......

Status
Not open for further replies.