Which is better? G10 vs SX10 IS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerald Lam CK

Jul 2, 2009
Admiralty
glamphotography-ck.blogspot.com
My aim is to take close up pics of food (not for professional purpose, just the food that i cook) and also portraits of focused face of the person with a blurred background. A G10 can do these right? Is that so? What about SX10 IS?

I'm a sucker for optical zoom..SX10 is 20x optical zoom while G10 is only 5x. The more optical zoom, the better?

What's an emolux tube adapter any idea? What's use is it for G10?

LX3!! muahahaha... i tink you should go and try the cameras out. i don't think you would need 20x zoom for portraits and food shots but thats me. yup so try them out and see which one you prefer.

sounds like you would find the LX3 more useful for your needs... good for close ups and portraits. it has a pathetic zoom though. 20x zoom is overkill, you'll probably use it 1% of the time, and you'd need stable hands to capture something that won't turn out blur.

My aim is to take close up pics of food (not for professional purpose, just the food that i cook) and also portraits of focused face of the person with a blurred background. A G10 can do these right? Is that so? What about SX10 IS?

I'm a sucker for optical zoom..SX10 is 20x optical zoom while G10 is only 5x. The more optical zoom, the better?

What's an emolux tube adapter any idea? What's use is it for G10?

Try photographing something at 20x optical zoom handheld.... c'mon... I dare you!
You want portraits with short depth of field...? You have to go REALLY close and have the background REALLY far away.
It's kinda tough to get significant blurring with a DSLR and kit lens, let alone a prosumer.

guys, guys

can we use FOCAL LENGTHS in 35mm film terms, not OPTICAL ZOOM

20x optical zoom can mean

10-200 mm
20-400mm
100-20000mm

it doesn't communicate an accurate picture of what is going on.

anyways, these 2 cameras so different, how to advise? it depends on what you want lor. but megazoom lenses, whether on dslr or prosumer, sure will suffer from more flaws than normal zoom lens.

guys, guys

can we use FOCAL LENGTHS in 35mm film terms, not OPTICAL ZOOM

20x optical zoom can mean

10-200 mm
20-400mm
100-20000mm

it doesn't communicate an accurate picture of what is going on.

anyways, these 2 cameras so different, how to advise? it depends on what you want lor. but megazoom lenses, whether on dslr or prosumer, sure will suffer from more flaws than normal zoom lens.

hahaha ok.
But generally the prosumer/superzooms have sensors of approximately 1/2" diagonal or thereabouts.
So their 20x lenses would be in the region of 3mm-60mm (or 4-80mm) kinda focal range.
That's considered extreme-wide to normal focal length in 35mm terms, thus the ability to have thin DOF (and consequently nice bokeh) is severely hampered, regardless of G10 or SX10 IS...

Some "cheem" terms here...i have not tried LX3 yet though. But i tried G10 and it was good. And i have heard alot positive reviews abt this cam.

The G10 is solid and feels very well built.
I'm really used to my nikon D80's control layout, so was struggling with the buttons on the G10 (@ the canon showroom).

my thought on this..have you wondered why most of the L series lenses are not superzooms? even the longest range L lens is the 28-300mm (around 10x), and it's quality is not that great.

yeah i was once a sucker too when new to photography. Was impressed with my Lumix FZ10's "12x optical zoom and constant f/2.8 aperture"... but couldn't hold the blaardy thing steady at anything more than 8x.
Now I generally only shoot at between 12 and 35mm :)

Status
Not open for further replies.