Which is an honest, reliable shop in Funan/Peninsula?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gt to comment on "reliable" shops in Peninsula...

I was walking by CP 2 nites ago and i went in to ask hw much a tokina 80-400 cost... I was quoted 11xx SGD...

then i went to my usual John 3:16... he said its only 699...

For people who are not old birds, must do lotsa research ar...

After tt incident, I will go to CP and ask pricing with a pinch of salt man!

I was walking by CP 2 nites ago and i went in to ask hw much a tokina 80-400 cost... I was quoted 11xx SGD...

CP is known for that nonsense. A few people mentioned this practice already. Wondering why people call this 'reputable'...

I go to Camera Workshop quite often. Nelson is quite a good guy, I talk to him most often. Their prices are sometimes the lowest, though not always.

I do agree about John 3:16 though, very friendly guys. Once or twice they quote a marginally higher price than the lowest I got but they never grossly over quote. I think you are quote safe with them.

I think there are two kinds of customers, the shopper and the buyer.

If you are the shopper kind, you are rather undecided. You want to ask around, chit chat, try and deliberate. Then you would want to buy from shops like John 3:16 or Camera Workshop. Many of the other shops are run by Ah Bengs. They treat you like you are from a rival gang. When you look undecided, they get frustrated and grouchy. When you run into problems with your purchases, they treat you like you are one of those bad guys in the Bruce Lee movies who goes around challenging and tearing down martial art schools. They will fight you in order to defend the "honor" of their institution.

If you are the buyer, you've probably done all your home work and very familiar with pricing. This kind of people don't care about service, they pop in, check price, find lowest and buy. If the price is high or service is unreasonable, they just move on. The Ah Beng establishments survive on this kind of customers. Ofcourse, pray hard you don't run into issues with your purchase. Otherwise you will find yourself in the the martial art school challenger scenario once again.

Ofcourse there are the in-betweens :)

I think those blur young buyers who asks a lot of stupid questions are a boon to shop owners. This is their chance to educate, build good relationships and grow their customer base. If they treat these people well, they will write good reviews in forums like this...

Yes, CP (Peninsula) is crap... On the contary, I encountered nice service at their marina outlet. hahaa

Anyway I more or less has banned CP Peninsula in my list liao.... Pissed me off. They spoil their image badly by overcharging products! so angry when i type this... smoke's gushing outta my head!!

frankly speaking... almost everyshop over charge... its like at sometime they will give u good service and right price, but once u trusted them, they will make use of ur trust and cheat ur money... alan photo is the most crap one, I ask for original FZ18 adapter, and i specifically said i want the original one, then once i reach there, they show me the 3rd party, wats the point of calling and check man, at least let me know its a 3rd party before i go to the shop still ok...

so i think, u have to do the homework urself and dun straight away buy

Don't know if this helps but John 3:16 sales personals sure do have a great sense of HUMOUR!

Hmm Overcharging is okay if its a real small amount as not all shops must sell u at the same price. BUT to quote close to double the price others are selling, thats too much bah???:angry::thumbsd:

Still so mad about it. haha

frankly speaking... almost everyshop over charge... its like at sometime they will give u good service and right price, but once u trusted them, they will make use of ur trust and cheat ur money... alan photo is the most crap one, I ask for original FZ18 adapter, and i specifically said i want the original one, then once i reach there, they show me the 3rd party, wats the point of calling and check man, at least let me know its a 3rd party before i go to the shop still ok...

so i think, u have to do the homework urself and dun straight away buy

What the ???! Really ? Gosh. I am going to be on my guards now.

Yeah, research is the best before you commit to a purchase. John3:16 is still one of the best places to get stuff. Mebbe not the best prices, but honest and reliable. This is the kind of service you don't mind paying an extra $10 or $20 for on a lens or camera.....

Better do your homework soon..... exams are coming (year end bonuses). ;)

Eh, anyone knows if John 3:16 provide credit installment?

Eh, anyone knows if John 3:16 provide credit installment?

Credit card is with an additional 2%. If I am not mistaken, installment plans comes from the bank side. Shouldnt be a problem at John 3:16.

Have check with John 3:16 that S$699 len they offer are for the older model not the S$11XX D Version that Cathay Photo are selling.

From Tokina website claim D Version which is good for new multi-coatings applied to the elements that are formulated to compensate of the highly reflective CCD and CMOS sensors in today’s Digital SLR cameras. The new multi-coating greatly reduces the chance of internal flare or ghost reflections.A built-in low-profile tripod collar makes for a well-balanced camera/lens combination when using a tripod or monopod

Now I have to consider which version I have to get.

Have check with John 3:16 that S$699 len they offer are for the older model not the S$11XX D Version that Cathay Photo are selling.

From Tokina website claim D Version which is good for new multi-coatings applied to the elements that are formulated to compensate of the highly reflective CCD and CMOS sensors in today’s Digital SLR cameras. The new multi-coating greatly reduces the chance of internal flare or ghost reflections.A built-in low-profile tripod collar makes for a well-balanced camera/lens combination when using a tripod or monopod

Now I have to consider which version I have to get.

well, duno if CP is quoting me for which model also... never mind also... Just want to let people be aware of prices from shops... 8 (

guys, do more research k!

Credit card is with an additional 2%. If I am not mistaken, installment plans comes from the bank side. Shouldnt be a problem at John 3:16.

M/S told me that an additional 5% for credit card installment plan when I try to get a Nikon 17-35 f2.8.

M/S told me that an additional 5% for credit card installment plan when I try to get a Nikon 17-35 f2.8.

Woah. That's a lot. Wonder why.... but cash is still best.

i totally agree with you... today went in and check out M8.. ask a guy nicely and he he reply me like i freaking owe him a few millions like that. Ask him for the price of M8 given me the price of M8.2.. Then i ask him do he know what i talking about.. M8 above 8K... can close shop already... I have not step into their shop for donkey years already... make a very bad mistake in stepping in today... Super duper unhappy...

i would recommend TK, but that is obviously not in the funan / pen area.

if you need something in the area, visit 316 if want some service, although you might have to wait a while, try to hit nonpeak hours e.g. 3pm-5pm. if you already know what you want, AP may save you a few dollars, but don't expect rocket scientist to be explaining the products to you.

my $0.02...

Rule #1 of camera shopping:

- Never let the salesperson do your research for you. Any salesperson. I don't care if he's from Cathay or TK or John 3:16. At the end of the day YOU are the one using the camera.

Rule #2 of camera shopping:

- Never change horses mid-stream (ie, never change your mind over a camera, especially a DSLR, while in a shop).

Rule #3 of camera shopping:

- Be polite no matter what. I'm amazed at how some people behave towards sales people.

Ya, gotta give a vote to john 3:16 too. Wicked sense of humour and good price and excellent service. Can be very flexible too. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.