Which Hassy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kernel

Sep 23, 2004
Singapore
I am thinking of getting a second hand hassy but I am new to it. I need plenty of advice from experts here.

I am attracted to hassy because of the available lens out there and also hassy's built quality. But is it suitable for field work? I heard that the mirror slapping is quite bad and may be difficult to use, esp. in low light situation.

I am considering 501C or 501CM. What's the diff between them? And can they take the same lens?

Many thanks!

501C and 501CM uses the same mount so can share lens... 501C screen is pretty bright and easily interchange with just a clip.

i got one for sale at a superb price

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=202342

can meet to test till you 100% satisfied... :)

if i'm not mistaken the c/m has the accu-matte screen which is really bright and contrasty and makes focussing a lot easier. Do consider the older 500 series as well if u are on a budget. The best for me so far would be the 503cw or cxi. But they cost a bomb.

Don't expect to use the hassy too much in low light. i think the max aperture they offer is f2.8. The mirror slap is also harder than any slr and u'll probably want to use a tripod or monopod for under 1/60s exposures. Mirror lockup helps but not for critical framing.

Thanks for the info so far. They do offer some help. I am doing my research on the net now...

u may like to know that buy the best Hassy set that your budget can allow u.

The reasons being the following:

1. The older bodies have more or less have no part or parts are getting more difficult to find if anything goes wrong and need some fix up. I wouldn't advise u to buy the 500 bodies or the C series lenses. Even some of the CF lenses have ran out of parts at Hasselblad which I was made known by Hassy themselves some time back.
2. The 503 onwards bodies has lenses that have the gliding set up. So, the newer lenses whish has a longer protrusion can be mounted with ease.
3. The 501 series of camera bodies are the "budget"series that Hasselblad came up many years ago to try to stimulate more market acceptance by people who wants to try out Hassy. This is becos the 501 set came with the CB series of lenses instead of the CF or Cfi or CFe lenses. CB lenses are what they cinsidered the budget, entry level lenses. The lens systems and technology is the same but what I hear is more plastic is used for the body of the lens. If I am not wrong, 501 series does incorporate the gliding reflex mirror as well.
3. The only 2 bodies that can take a motor drive is 503CXi and 503CW. The other bodies cannot take the Hassey motor drive. However, Malaysia has ever produce a modified motor drive that could fit the other 500 series camera bodies. U may like to search the web for it. But I am not sure about its performance. The reason why I am not impressed with the Hassy motor drive was becos it is only advancing at 1fps. So, I think I can turn the crank as fast as the drive.
4. When u see a body model that ends w "C", it means that the viewing screen is not changeable ie. it's fixed in place, eg. 500C. When it's "CM", it means the veiwing screen is changeable, eg. 500CM. Hasselblad produce what they called the Acute Matt screen that comes with the body when u buy them. There are many other types of Acute Matt screen available from Hassy, eg, split ring, with gridlines, gridlines with split rings etc.
But in my opinion, if u can afford it, buy a separate "Beattie Intenscreen". Beattie produce this wonderful screen that allows viewing through the screen to be brighter than the Hasselblad Standard Acute Matt Screen by 2 stops. But the screen do cost much more than the Standard Acute Matt screen. But the screen is especially useful when u are shooting under low light or using slower lens....I find it best when I use it on my Hasselblad CZ 120mm f4 Makro Planar lens.

This is just the tip of the iceberg for the knowledge concerning the Hasselblad systems. 2 good ways to get these information fast would be :

1. Go buy the book called "The Hasselblad Manual"by Ernst Wildi, latest edition should be 6th edition. You can get a copy of this book from Riceball Photo bookstore at Basement of Adelphi. This is the encyclopedia of anything Hasselblad.
2. Visit the Malaysia photo resource website at : www.mir.com.my/rb/photography
They have a very good write up on history of Hasselblad and its development in the past few decades.

Hope this helps u.....If u need any help, can PM me yr contact and I will see if I can find some answers for u. btw, I am also selling away some of my Hasselblad accesories. So, if you decide to take the plunge, u may need these accessories.

Thanks Jeffrey! The info is very helpful indeed. I agree, ultimately it comes down to $$$. I am considering older hassy because it can last - that's what many people seems to agree - and given a small budget I can get into hassy and all its quality, flexibility and availability (in particular lens).

I have been in medium format for a couple of years, but the problem with the cameras I have is the lack of lens.

Thanks again :)

When buy 500cm try to get the later version. There four main version from 1970s to 1990s. Classic been the latest but very expensive. The other later version will have a plastic rapid winding crank, self folding wraist level finder hood and the accute matte focusing screen. May be you can try teecee, he has some hassy for sale. His number is 9488 9660.

Hassy 500 bodies are cheap compared to the finders, magazines and lenses. It is also the source of the greatest problems, such as jamming, vignetting, etc.

Since medium format body prices have dropped so much, buy the best body you can. The difference between a mint 503/501 body and an old 500c body is only a few hundred US$, but the peace of mind and ease of use you'll get from a newer body is priceless.

Hence, it's basically down to the 501CM or the 503CW. Which one you pick depends on whether you need TTL flash and winder or if you're ok with all-manual.

There are areas to scrimp on, such as buying third-party accessories (eg Bronica/Kiev finders) instead of original Hassy accessories. However, scrimping on the body or lenses is not a good idea.

Wai Leong
===
kernel said:
Thanks Jeffrey! The info is very helpful indeed. I agree, ultimately it comes down to $$$. I am considering older hassy because it can last - that's what many people seems to agree - and given a small budget I can get into hassy and all its quality, flexibility and availability (in particular lens).

I have been in medium format for a couple of years, but the problem with the cameras I have is the lack of lens.

Thanks again :)

Thanks singscott & waileong. Will certainly consider 501cm if budget permits.

Kernel and others, where would be the best place to buy used Hasselblad and digital backs in Singapore, also in terms of after sale service and support? I may be travelling to Singapore soon and would welcome some advice, thanks a lot!
Gilo

Status
Not open for further replies.