Which filter system do you use? Individual Screw-ins or Cokin style plate filters

Which type of filters do you prefer for a combo of CPL/GND/Colored GND/IR

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Err sorry to pop a newbie question. For taking the landscape photos with the scenary, skies and what nots, the GND will be preferred to cut the brightness of the skies right?

What about the ND filters? What exactly can I do with a ND 8 filter (77mm)? I found one in my dad's old camera bag, don't even know how much it is worth. Im using a 10-22 so any feedback would be welcomed. thanks!

Heya,

I am an entry level amateur.... hahaa.... somewhere between beginner and wanna be amateur...

Anyways, just wanted to share that I use the Cokin P system but also own a 67mm Hoya CPL.... I like the P system (Tianya also included here) cos it's able to fit most of my lenses with different diameter. More of a cost consideration.

The 67mm D CPL filter is something I also find useful cos it's convenient and also doubles up as a "protection" for my main working lens...

Err sorry to pop a newbie question. For taking the landscape photos with the scenary, skies and what nots, the GND will be preferred to cut the brightness of the skies right?

What about the ND filters? What exactly can I do with a ND 8 filter (77mm)? I found one in my dad's old camera bag, don't even know how much it is worth. Im using a 10-22 so any feedback would be welcomed. thanks!

Yes, GND is used to cut the brightness of the sky if you have a nicely delineated horizon.

For the ND8 filter, for a given aperture number, the filter is used to slow light by 3 stops. Meaning, you get longer shutter times..... ND4 is by 2 stops, ND2 is by 1 stop. There's also a NDx400 which slows shutter by 9 stops. Heard about a ND1000, but I'm not familiar with it.

These filters coupled together with smaller apertures on your camera, produces lengthened exposure times, ranging from a few seconds long to 30 secs or bulb modes. More for special effects like silky waterfalls, light trails, empty streets etc.....

Hope this helps.

Has anyone tried the Cokin/Tianya slot in CPL for the P-system? Any comments?!?

Is it more convenient to put a CPL filter on the lens as compared to the normal UV filters?
I never used a CPL before hence I want to ask what are the effects of a CPL if it is not oriented 90deg to the sun? Does it act like a ND filter in this case?

Is it more convenient to put a CPL filter on the lens as compared to the normal UV filters?
I never used a CPL before hence I want to ask what are the effects of a CPL if it is not oriented 90deg to the sun? Does it act like a ND filter in this case?

A typical CPL is screw mounted like a UV filter.
You have to rotate the CPL filter to adjust the polarisation

There is another layer for you to rotate.
slim_pol_127.jpg

Because it polarises light, it cuts down light rays entering, and thus it reduces light like an ND in a way. But different manufacturers / brands reduce by a certain varying amount.

Ryan

hi looking for 67mm.do yo uhave can sms me 98783768

Just wondering, for those of you whom use screw in filters, do you feel it a hassle to change filters on the go?

I use a CPL often, but up till now, I m not exactly very used to putting the CPL on, than removing it to place back a UV filter when I don't need it. Do you guys stack your CPL ontop of your UV, or is there anyway you can recommend to change filters quickly :)

hey...since u guys are talking about filters...do u guys know where to get cokin z-pro type filters..??...don't seem to find at cathay photo.

Screw ins, cause they are cheaper...

I love screw ins as I find the plate ones very troublesome to use.

Depending on what you shoot, one system may have advantages over the other. There should be another option for both in the polls...

Depending on what you shoot, one system may have advantages over the other. There should be another option for both in the polls...
I agree.each has it's own advantages.It's really up to each individual to decide.

Very informative!!!

Thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

If i did not say this was shot with a hard step, would you have figured where the transition was ? :bsmilie:

2878317861_a75ce6e56e_o.jpg

Ryan

Question from someone who has never shot with a gnd before: What do you do when your horizon isn't composed exactly in the center? Is there enough space on the top and bottom for you to play around?

I initially experimented with a +2 soft step GND and a +2 reverse ND grad
The others I am using include their +3 hardstep GND, +4 soft step GND, +4 ND
and a 77m thin VariND filter. Covered most of the situations I encounter ( mainly landscapes ) dun think i need any for a long time till their resin breaks down.

Ryan,

Which of these are you using on a regular basis? I am also thinking of getting the Singh-Ray but am undecided if I should get a 2, 3 or 4-stop reverse GND, GND and ND. I am looking at one from each so would appreciate your advise.

Question from someone who has never shot with a gnd before: What do you do when your horizon isn't composed exactly in the center? Is there enough space on the top and bottom for you to play around?

For plate filters, you can shift the filter up and down and place the transition wherever you like, but for screw in, it's fixed so it's very restrictive in that sense :)

Status
Not open for further replies.