Which entry-level DSLR is suitable for me?

Actually every camera needs maintenance. Even a compact camera has similar components with a DSLR.. glass (lens), image sensor, etc.

Fungus grow on any available medium + supportive environment.. It doesn't differentiate types, be it compact or DSLR.

Well unless nowadays got so-atas type of fungus, don't wanna infect compacts, only choose DSLRs :p

Haiz... So if I calculate correctly, it is still worthwhile to buy an entry-level DSLR compared to a compact digital one since the price difference is almost not that great anymore. And I still need, at least, a dry box to keep it.

Goliath1978 said:
Haiz... So if I calculate correctly, it is still worthwhile to buy an entry-level DSLR compared to a compact digital one since the price difference is almost not that great anymore. And I still need, at least, a dry box to keep it.

It's not just about no price diff or whatever. It's about what you need. If a pns can do what you want, just get it.

Open up your options.
Look for a camera like the Pentax Kx ($300-400 2nd hand) or Kr (approx $600 or lower).
These 2 are examples of cameras that already have features and iso performance that gave contemporary entry and mid level cameras from the big two brands a run for their money.
Look at some of the Sony, Panasonic and Olympus options too.

A dry cabinet is a must.

your original post said u are using a camera mostly for holidays

go for a system that is lightweight and compact with maybe an option for interchangeable lenses

if u are really tight on budget then go into the Buy/Sell Marketplace section of this forum and get a cam WITH a Local warranty off someone who is upgrading

to keep ANY TYPE of camera yes you will need a dry box for Singapore's climate

they're not expensive and available 2nd hand too

Last edited:
Haiz... So if I calculate correctly, it is still worthwhile to buy an entry-level DSLR compared to a compact digital one since the price difference is almost not that great anymore.
Getting the most out of the money does not necessarily mean getting the highest possible type of camera for that money. Get what you need and what you are comfortable with, get the accessories you need - and save the rest. Sure you can get a DSLR, with 2nd hand options you can get fairly good ones. But think about weight, size, learning curve for you in operating the cam (we have many threads here where people are disappointed about the results from DSLR - because they have wrong expectations), post processing and others.
Beside this: the image quality of many systems supposedly lower than DSLR is so good that many people are not able to see the difference even side by side.

HI crysmeth, I'm looking to buy my first DSLR as well.
It'll be either a Canon 50D or a Nikon D5000. (I don't wanna spend too much on something that I'm just trying to pick up)

Why do you recommend a 50mm lens instead of a kit lens though?

It'll be either a Canon 50D or a Nikon D5000. (I don't wanna spend too much on something that I'm just trying to pick up)

Large aperture. 50 mm comes with either f/1.8 or f/1.4.

Large aperture. 50 mm comes with either f/1.8 or f/1.4.

in photography terms, f1.8 or f1.4 will give you more light, making it more usable at night.

50mm is also roughly the focal length similar to our eyes', and distortions will not be so obvious.

also, at 50mm and f1.8/1.4, the background can be more easily blurred than the kit lens', and the background blur is usually much nicer.

I would recommend the 50mm f1.8 for various reasons.

1. Cheap lens
2. Can be used on both crop and full frame (ff).
3. Has excellent IQ as compared with the kit 18-55. I have not used the other 18-135 but never in favour of such drastic differences.
4. DOF is really shallow. (i.e. a much blurrer background, ensuing your subject pops out)
5. At f1.8, it's a fast lens (Shutter can be set faster as Aperture can be set wider) hence with low light, you can still get good photos.
6. It's lightweight. Yes, the 18-55 is no stone too, but the 50mm is awesomely light.
7. It makes you learn more about composition. Many newbies (me included) relies on zoom to compose. With a fix prime lens, you learn to compose the 'hard way'. Walking.

Many newbies don't like the 50mm because it looks small and puny. Small and puny lens doesn't boost the ego. They need larger lens, with bigger wider glass to make them look pro. I use to be like that too. Somethings don't change... I'm still a newbie... but I now know that it's not the gear, but the experience.

that's why I always advocate. Buy 2nd hand body, and shoot with a new (or second hand) 50mm f1.8. Your investment would not be more than 700. Then shoot until you feel that you wan to explore more. More genres... landscapes... then perhaps invest in the 10-22 or tokina 11-16 (awesome lens), or 12-24. OR if you feel that shooting kids is getting slower on your 50D as the fps is only that many, then explore the 7D. or street is what you want to do, then the 50mm is good enough as you might not need the shallow DOF, hence you shoot at f11. Or portraiture is something you want to explore and 85mm is what you prefer.

All these will come with knowing what you want to shoot... but knowing what to shoot means you must shoot first....

Hope I not too long winded.

By the way, me thinks the 50d is an excellent choice. Much better the 60d in terms of build

crysmeth said:
I would recommend the 50mm f1.8 for various reasons.

1. Cheap lens
2. Can be used on both crop and full frame (ff).
3. Has excellent IQ as compared with the kit 18-55. I have not used the other 18-135 but never in favour of such drastic differences.
4. DOF is really shallow. (i.e. a much blurrer background, ensuing your subject pops out)
5. At f1.8, it's a fast lens (Shutter can be set faster as Aperture can be set wider) hence with low light, you can still get good photos.
6. It's lightweight. Yes, the 18-55 is no stone too, but the 50mm is awesomely light.
7. It makes you learn more about composition. Many newbies (me included) relies on zoom to compose. With a fix prime lens, you learn to compose the 'hard way'. Walking.

Many newbies don't like the 50mm because it looks small and puny. Small and puny lens doesn't boost the ego. They need larger lens, with bigger wider glass to make them look pro. I use to be like that too. Somethings don't change... I'm still a newbie... but I now know that it's not the gear, but the experience.

that's why I always advocate. Buy 2nd hand body, and shoot with a new (or second hand) 50mm f1.8. Your investment would not be more than 700. Then shoot until you feel that you wan to explore more. More genres... landscapes... then perhaps invest in the 10-22 or tokina 11-16 (awesome lens), or 12-24. OR if you feel that shooting kids is getting slower on your 50D as the fps is only that many, then explore the 7D. or street is what you want to do, then the 50mm is good enough as you might not need the shallow DOF, hence you shoot at f11. Or portraiture is something you want to explore and 85mm is what you prefer.

All these will come with knowing what you want to shoot... but knowing what to shoot means you must shoot first....

Hope I not too long winded.

if nikon dx, i place my bet on the afs 35mm f1.8g dx. it will give u approximately 50mm eqivalent fov on standard 35mm film.