Which DSLR to buy?

The reason i chose Nikon is because of lens backward compatibility, the AF-D lens can still be mounted and meter on my film workhorses FE and FM2, and be used on my d90. However the AF-D lens can't auto focus on d40, d60, d3000, d5000 due to lack of in built motor in the body itself. But these reasons doesn't mean that i can't use them, as manual focus is still an option. The newer AF-S G is an issue though, does not allow me to set desired aperture on my film bodies.

Not advertising for Nikon, but the primary reason why i chose them. Perhaps when u want to experiment with film in the future but do not want to spend another big sum on a set-up, u might want to to consider this factor.

Looks like you have decided on a Canon 550D, anyway irregardless of what you choose ultimately, most important thing is to go out, shoot and start having fun ;)

If TS had more or less settle for a Canon 550D... may I make a friendly suggestion? You might want to look at Canon 60D. It is a better camera as compared to 550D, but of course it is a few hundreds more costly.

But the main thing is, you test out these camera and see if you like which one better. I have play around with a 60D before and loved it alot. As to 550D, it feels abit too light for my liking (but that is only me, not sure about you.)

Also, do wait abit more... because I believe Nikon is launching her D7000 soon and not sure about how the camera fare, but looked cool on spec.

If TS had more or less settle for a Canon 550D... may I make a friendly suggestion? You might want to look at Canon 60D. It is a better camera as compared to 550D, but of course it is a few hundreds more costly.

But the main thing is, you test out these camera and see if you like which one better. I have play around with a 60D before and loved it alot. As to 550D, it feels abit too light for my liking (but that is only me, not sure about you.)

Also, do wait abit more... because I believe Nikon is launching her D7000 soon and not sure about how the camera fare, but looked cool on spec.

His budget is only $1400 to $1600, its not enough for a 60D or D7000 once the filter, bag and other stuff come in.
A camera like 550D should do plenty fine, though still a little costly for his budget if it includes other accessories. Of course it lacks more creature comforts like top lcd, more buttons, weather seal, magnesium alloy body, etc, but we pay that much more for these.

Last edited:

Thing is, many people, including many canon users view the 60D as a step backwards from the 50D.

ANd yes, TS budget do not allow for a D7k or 60D.

The reason i chose Nikon is because of lens backward compatibility, the AF-D lens can still be mounted and meter on my film workhorses FE and FM2, and be used on my d90. However the AF-D lens can't auto focus on d40, d60, d3000, d5000 due to lack of in built motor in the body itself. But these reasons doesn't mean that i can't use them, as manual focus is still an option. The newer AF-S G is an issue though, does not allow me to set desired aperture on my film bodies.

Not advertising for Nikon, but the primary reason why i chose them. Perhaps when u want to experiment with film in the future but do not want to spend another big sum on a set-up, u might want to to consider this factor.

Exact same reasons why I am shooting Nikon.

That plus we already have quite a number of legacy lenses already, that we use on the old film bodies. All of them are usable on my DSLR as well.

Looks like you have decided on a Canon 550D, anyway irregardless of what you choose ultimately, most important thing is to go out, shoot and start having fun ;)

For backwards compatibility you should also check out a K-mount ;)
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559488
The lenses work with metering and focus confirmation even for the entry level Kx, Kr models.

Last edited:
Thing is, many people, including many canon users view the 60D as a step backwards from the 50D.

ANd yes, TS budget do not allow for a D7k or 60D.

IMO,
60D is actually very good in its price segment. I think the issue is that ppl expect it to follow the previous 50D in lineage. At the moment, they should really be looking at the 7D if they want to follow up from the 50D.

Last edited:
my best recommended buy, Canon 550D with a good lens (Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non VC) no regrets ;)

I read about the 60D, but its more for a semi pro photographers right?
550D is more for entry level people?

Can anyone advice regarding the difference in using the kit lens and a separately bought Tamron 18mm-50mm f2.8lens?

How much does a actual Tamron 18mm-50mm f2.8lens cost?

Can anyone advice regarding the difference in using the kit lens and a separately bought Tamron 18mm-50mm f2.8lens?

The terms used are not relevant. They are only marketing terms used to differentiate the products and market. There are ppl who know nothing and by a 5Dmk2, there are very good photographers and even pros that use an 'entry level' or even an advanced compact. Just look at the performance, features, cost and what are your needs. Base your decision from there.

Tamron 18-50/2.8 should be around $600+ (IIRC).

Kit lens has a variable maximum aperture opening, going from f/3.5 at 18mm to f/5.6 at 55mm. Tamron has constant maximum aperture of f/2.8, regardless which focal length. Read up about aperture to see how this works. The main differences are the amount of light coming in and the resulting Depth of Field which can better better adjusted on Tamron.
Non-VC (older version) about SGD 600+
VC version (newer model) about SGD 900+
VC stands for Vibration Control, the Tamron term for Image Stabilization (IS) of Canon. Current kit lenses come with IS.

IMO,
60D is actually very good in its price segment. I think the issue is that ppl expect it to follow the previous 50D in lineage. At the moment, they should really be looking at the 7D if they want to follow up from the 50D.

Thing is, it does not look good now that Nikon upping the game with the D7k. They are directly competing models now.

Tamron do not offer a 18-50/2.8 lens.

They only offer 17-50/2.8 lenses.

just to remind u D3100 doens't hv an AF motor so u might find it a bit difficult to get some particular lens, i'll say go for D90 if ur keen to nikon, the new price should be almost the same with 550D now :D

Been using Nikon D90 for 4mths..
It's really good! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hello people, I'm extremely new in the field of photography, but am interested to pick it up as my hobby.

I want to get a DSLR, but i can't decide which brand and which model to buy.
I have about a budget of $1400-1600.
Can anybody guide me along ?

Hmm there are basically four main groups of dslr owners.

1. The God-like Professionals
2. The Semi-Pros
3. The Hobbyists
4. The OMFG-I-Own-A-Dslr-I'm-So-Cool

Groups.

The type of camera ur gonna wield pretty much depends on hw serious are u gonna take photography. So group urself first and check out the Nikon, Canon etc sites for high-end, semi-pro or starter cameras ;)

My 2cents

Hmm there are basically four main groups of dslr owners.

1. The God-like Professionals
2. The Semi-Pros
3. The Hobbyists
4. The OMFG-I-Own-A-Dslr-I'm-So-Cool

Groups.

The type of camera ur gonna wield pretty much depends on hw serious are u gonna take photography. So group urself first and check out the Nikon, Canon etc sites for high-end, semi-pro or starter cameras ;)

My 2cents

Many people in Group 4 buy much better equipment than all the other 3 groups combined. :bigeyes:

So you know... ;)

ahahaha.. the number 4 is funny.. my cousin asked me about DSLR yesterday, she told me " i only want a canon or nikon DSLR, can you recommand?" i asked her what specs she want or what thing she prefer to shoot, she said she just want a DSLR thats all. and most likely taking self-portrait (which HP cam or PnS is the best choice).

i told her to get a PnS instead.

Last edited:
get either one your friend recommended you. ask him/her to go along with u to buy, and for future shoots.

That's the worst advice I've heard. Be an adult, make your own choices.

and most likely taking self-portrait (which HP cam or PnS is the best choice).

Self-portrait and DSLR? Sony A33/55 or Canon 60D. The articulating LCD is perfect for the "OMG look I'm having dinner let me take 500 pictures and upload them to my blog where nobody will ever read it anyway" XMM shooters.

Self-portrait and DSLR? Sony A33/55 or Canon 60D. The articulating LCD is perfect for the "OMG look I'm having dinner let me take 500 pictures and upload them to my blog where nobody will ever read it anyway" XMM shooters.

yea, i recommanded the a33(since im sony) but i got a rude reply "what? sony? i only want canon or nikon" she don't have the budget for 60D also so thats when i tell her to get a PnS.;)