which dslr should i get?

Get the same system as your friend, you can try out his lens and share around.

Unless you are super sure that your friend is a good friend who trusts you very very much, then this should not be a reason why you choose a camera brand. Sharing equipment sounds very good in theory, and it is- provided your friend is willing to lend you equipment all the time.

More often than not, things will turn out like:
You: "Hey bro can lend me your (whatever focal length) lens please, one day only..."
Your friend: "Eh no la... sorry sorry paiseh I think... aiya cannot lah".

Plus, in the long run, it is quite inconvenient to share equipment, unless you see your friend very often.

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Almost zero knowledge of Olympus DSLR, so better not anyhow "hamtam"
They are meant to be examples for the TS anyway.

Do feel free to chip in the info on the Olympus cams. :)

Yup my comment as just said jokingly, I know you're just giving examples :)

To TS, there are a couple of pretty good Olympus DSLRs that you might want to consider- Olympus E620, E450, etc. Although Olympus appears to be a "dying system" with many bad points, (and, as an Oly user I disagree), the up-side of this is that even the later cameras are going pretty cheap 2nd hand.

Ultimately, you have to decide for yourself which dslr you should get. I think I posted this in another thread, before buying a camera you ought to read up on basic photographic theory, such as the exposure triangle etc. etc. (you probably don't know much since you asked about ISO- not criticizing you here, but making a completely factual statement). Only then can you decide which camera meets your needs as opposed to choosing a camera brand largely based on the opinions of people in a forum whom you do not know personally.

After all, the person who knows what you want best ought to be yourself.

Get the same system as your friend, you can try out his lens and share around.

agreed .

Buying a camera that is comfortable "handling" ,"cost","performance"
not base on brand.

Unless you are super sure that your friend is a good friend who trusts you very very much, then this should not be a reason why you choose a camera brand. Sharing equipment sounds very good in theory, and it is- provided your friend is willing to lend you equipment all the time.

More often than not, things will turn out like:
You: "Hey bro can lend me your (whatever focal length) lens please, one day only..."
Your friend: "Eh no la... sorry sorry paiseh I think... aiya cannot lah".

Plus, in the long run, it is quite inconvenient to share equipment, unless you see your friend very often.

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Yup my comment as just said jokingly, I know you're just giving examples :)

To TS, there are a couple of pretty good Olympus DSLRs that you might want to consider- Olympus E620, E450, etc. Although Olympus appears to be a "dying system" with many bad points, (and, as an Oly user I disagree), the up-side of this is that even the later cameras are going pretty cheap 2nd hand.

Ultimately, you have to decide for yourself which dslr you should get. I think I posted this in another thread, before buying a camera you ought to read up on basic photographic theory, such as the exposure triangle etc. etc. (you probably don't know much since you asked about ISO- not criticizing you here, but making a completely factual statement). Only then can you decide which camera meets your needs as opposed to choosing a camera brand largely based on the opinions of people in a forum whom you do not know personally.

After all, the person who knows what you want best ought to be yourself.

Personally, I am the type that do not like to borrow equipment from friends, neither do I like to lend others my personal equipment.

Why? Friends are important. I do not want to put them in a situation where I risk any friendship if an accident occurs (like a knocking a lens or dropping it). Even a small thing like a scratch, or nick can destroy friendships. Might as well don't risk it. Not worth it. I use my own stuff. If I need, I buy or I rent. Simple.

BTW, E-5 is almost out already. Not dying yet la. Lets see how Oly do in the coming months. But do recognize that their EVIL cams are doing very well... They might just shift their focus to mirror less.

get one within your budget. once you are good enough to complain about how you prefer higher end models, save for them then.

largely, most of the entry level cams are good enough. really depends on who is behind the camera.

Personally, I am the type that do not like to borrow equipment from friends, neither do I like to lend others my personal equipment.

Why? Friends are important. I do not want to put them in a situation where I risk any friendship if an accident occurs (like a knocking a lens or dropping it). Even a small thing like a scratch, or nick can destroy friendships. Might as well don't risk it. Not worth it. I use my own stuff. If I need, I buy or I rent. Simple.

BTW, E-5 is almost out already. Not dying yet la. Lets see how Oly do in the coming months. But do recognize that their EVIL cams are doing very well... They might just shift their focus to mirror less.

I think 4/3s is probably a dying system. E5 is just... there for the sake of having a flagship with improvement to the E3, but Oly has made it clear that they think the future is mirrorless :)

With regard to lending/loaning of lenses, I think your practice of neither lending nor borrowing is a good one. Yes, friendships are important- much more so than the temporary convenience of borrowing or the money saved from not renting. :thumbsup:

I think 4/3s is probably a dying system. E5 is just... there for the sake of having a flagship with improvement to the E3, but Oly has made it clear that they think the future is mirrorless :)

Which is sad. Because the E-3 was such a great camera back in its day. But in the end, what a company cares about is to maximize stockholders value (profits) :what:

Person A uses Canon
Person B uses Nikon
Person C uses Olympus
Person D uses Pentax
Person E uses...

Hence,
Person A will recommend Canon
Person B will recommend Nikon
Person C will recommend Olympus
Person D will recommend Pentax

All this- you can read up more yourself.

Go for Nikon, I am using ....