Which Cropped Cam Body has got Best Noise Performance?

Gerald Lam CK

Jul 2, 2009
Admiralty
glamphotography-ck.blogspot.com
Is it 7D? Im currently using a 500D and i realised at iso800 there is visible noise already. I might be upgrading but i dont tink i will be getting a FX body..so is 7D the best choice? Is the noise performance really good?

If you're gonna stick to Canon, which with your current lens setup, seems logical, then it's pretty obvious it's the 7D.

The 7D shares the same metering/processor as the 550D and 60D.
The reason why it is the "king of crop" is because it has 8fps,
Weather sealing similar to that of the Eos 1N (Pro series body),
One of the few Canon bodies to have 100% viewfinder, not even the 5DII has 100%
2 processors to accompany the 8fps.

For noise performance, you might want to wait for the rumoured Digic 5 processor to be released.

And if they do, they will be severely limited, or the thread closed. :cool:

Have a great day.

Is it 7D? Im currently using a 500D and i realised at iso800 there is visible noise already. I might be upgrading but i dont tink i will be getting a FX body..so is 7D the best choice? Is the noise performance really good?

Hi i have the same problem 500D with 50mm 1.8 lens, i use iso 200 to take event the picture has alot of noise :dunno:

Last edited:
Why not do some research for yourself and read the reviews online? At least that way you won't get caught up in people's biased opinions and can base on actual, controlled tests.

For example, there's DXOMark:
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en.../(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Nikon/(brand3)/Pentax

K5 and D7000 and A55 (all based on same sensor) all handily beat the 7D in terms of ISO performance, Dynamic range, etc.

Then there's DPreview, where on the "compared to" section you can select other cameras and ISO ranges.

All it takes is a little initiative.

Why not do some research for yourself and read the reviews online? At least that way you won't get caught up in people's biased opinions and can base on actual, controlled tests.

For example, there's DXOMark:
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en.../(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Nikon/(brand3)/Pentax

K5 and D7000 and A55 (all based on same sensor) all handily beat the 7D in terms of ISO performance, Dynamic range, etc.

Then there's DPreview, where on the "compared to" section you can select other cameras and ISO ranges.

All it takes is a little initiative.

When it comes to Rashkae, it must be Sony.

Budget level should be Pentax K-r/K-x

Mid-range should be Pentax K-5/Nikon D7000.

That said, if I don't remember wrongly, some review sites have said that Canon's offerings retain more detail at the cost of noise present lor.

Last edited:
When it comes to Rashkae, it must be Sony.

I recommended Pentax and Nikon first. So do you actually have a point? It's well known that the new K5 has possible the best high-iso performance of an APS-C cam. For ISO performance, DXOMark lists the K-5, D7000 and A55 as number 1, 2 and 3 for APS-C. And that's what I recommended.

So do you have anything factual or intelligent to contribute? No?

If you look at the link I posted, it does not even list a Sony cam.

So do you have any other hobbies?

Last edited:
That said, if I don't remember wrongly, some review sites have said that Canon's offerings retain more detail at the cost of noise present lor.

Other way around from what I've seen... less noise at the expense of detail

hey cks2k2 do be nice ;)

in any case i think there's also a need to consider if shooting JPEG or RAW... and personal preference on how the camera applies Noise Reduction if any... some may not like the heavy handedness which may result in loss of details as the cost for NR

dpreview does quite well organized reviews and testing including comparisons against cameras in the same range.

And if they do, they will be severely limited, or the thread closed. :cool:

Have a great day.

:bsmilie: lol

i think most probably the even newer generation cameras like d7000, k5 and even 60d would have better noise performance than the 7D?

K5 vs D7000 vs 7D noise comparison http://www.neutralday.com/pentax-k-5-vs-nikon-d7000-vs-canon-eos-7d-iso-comparison/

anyway lets be careful not to go off topic here or start any brand and flame wars :)

not a nikon user but saw a few high-iso shots from the d7000 and im actually impressed haha wouldnt mind having one as a second body if i could ;)

I own a Canon EOS 7D, and I love it to bits, after the initial hiccups they have with AF issues and having gone through 2 bodies.

However, in terms of noise performance, I can tell you that it is not the best, the newer models like the 60D are better. But that is technology for you, it'll always get better with the next model.

That said, photography is not just about noise performance, it is bigger than that.

Till today, I'm still don't quite grasp why people are so obsessed about noise, it seems to be like a newbie phenomenon to me. With DSLR becoming more common and affordable, many jump on the bandwagon and young folks who seem to have forgotten/ not known that there was once film photography, whereby even ASA 800 yields grainy pictures.