Which Car to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yoda said:
slow saturday afternoon... so, let's up the stake a lttle.

Now for a second car - which is your preference. I know there are many other credible choices out there but let us keep to just these 2 for discussion.

BMW Z4 M Coupe vs SLK 55 AMG
price : S$300K vs S$380K
Engine : 3.0 litre inline-6 vs 5.5 litre V8
Output : 330 bhp vs 355 bhp
0-100km/h : 4.8 sec vs 4.9 sec

Will take a while to realise this dream-car but no harm dreaming in the meanwhile. So, here goes. Cast your vote.

Cheers

u really rich lor... i no where compared to u... no where...

/me go to the bottom of the pit & yell at top of my voice... HELLLLLLOOOOOOOOO.... think no sound... :cry:

The SLK 55 AMG. But the Porsche Carrera 4S, 911 Turbo or 911 GT3 are just as good.
Between the BMW & Merc, the new S-class has the edge.

Just to clarify before I kenna bombed.

I am a 40+ yrs old businessman and have worked my ass off to reach where I am today. I have my fair share of ups and downs. At my lowest, I am on the brink of bankruptcy; poorer than the poorest student in CS. However, I have turned the situation around and can now breathe a bit easier.

Of course, buying a car in Singapore, standard practice is to take a hefty loan and then service the loan like crazy lah - regardless of what car and what price. Me - no difference, I will do the same. Reason for the indulgence is because I want to reward myself. I am not trying to sound arrogant but I believe I have earned the right to pamper myself. I have survived many near fatal-hits in my business.

Have I make it in life? I do not think so, not for a single moment. There are a lot more successful people in CS. I would be kidding myself if I believe I have made it. What I have today can be gone tomorrow. Well, no regrets if that happen, just another passage in life. But as long as I can afford it, I will live the life I want.

As someone once said - it is not about the years you live but how you live your years.

Have a blessed weekend. Cheers.

Back to the vote - what is your choice and why? I would like to seek your opinions.:)

Yoda said:

I am a 40+ yrs old businessman and have worked my ass off to reach where I am today. I have my fair share of ups and downs. At my lowest, I am on the brink of bankruptcy; poorer than the poorest student in CS. However, I have turned the situation around and can now breathe a bit easier.

Of course, buying a car in Singapore, standard practice is to take a hefty loan and then service the loan like crazy lah - regardless of what car and what price. Me - no difference, I will do the same. Reason for the indulgence is because I want to reward myself. I am not trying to sound arrogant but I believe I have earned the right to pamper myself. I have survived many near fatal-hits in my business.

Have I make it in life? I do not think so, not for a single moment. There are a lot more successful people in CS. I would be kidding myself if I believe I have made it. What I have today can be gone tomorrow. Well, no regrets if that happen, just another passage in life. But as long as I can afford it, I will live the life I want.

As someone once said - it is not about the years you live but how you live your years.

Back to the vote - what is your choice and why? I would like to seek your opinions.:)

at least u go view cars ppl still let u test drive... think me go they take a broom and ask if i am the cleaner there... :cry:

oh well... i wan a F-16 if money & country got no issue...

Yoda said:
Allow me to start a new discussion. Would like to solicite opinions from brothers (and sisters as well) here.

If money is not an issue, which of the 2 cars will you buy - BMW 740 Li vs Benz S350L - and why? I know there are tons of other options available but please limit to these 2 cars only.

BTW - i would like to get both (haha) but can only afford 1 (sigh).

So, shoot.

:)

I would like to suggest that you log on to a motoring forum to discuss this. Clubsnap is a photography forum.
Thanks.

Land Rover: Range Rover.

Much better than any 7 series and S class. Sits tall, drives well, very spacious.

davsmiths said:
Land Rover: Range Rover.

Much better than any 7 series and S class. Sits tall, drives well, very spacious.
TS has stated "BMW 740 Li vs Benz S350L - and why? I know there are tons of other options available but please limit to these 2 cars only.

The Z4 M, is a very much stripped down car, no fancy gadgets, replaced the electronic power steering with a more older system and used a more conventional gearbox as compared to the M series.

The SLK 55 only comes in auto...horray for casual driving and commuting, but kinda boring if you want to play around with the gearbox. It does have all the electronic doodahs of the S Class, so there's pretty much alot of high tech gadgetry inside the dash as well as traction control and other good stuff.

However, if you're just doing your driving in Singapore, or once in awhile use the horses in a Malaysian highway, the handling and performance differences are quite neglegible. (only main diff is that the SLK 55 ONLY comes with an AUTO gearbox)

If you want a fun, sporty looking and feeling car without much gizmos to distract you from the enjoyment of just driving the car, go for the Z4

If you want something abit more serious, executive looking with the comforts of a modern day car that still packs a punch, go for the SLK 55.

Then again, since you're gonna get a SPORTS car, I would go for the sportier Z4, but I'm a beemer fan so that's a biased choice haha...

Based on looks alone, I think the Mercs look better nowadays. The latest series of BMWs just doesn't appeal to me in their looks. Since this is a photography forum, my opinion is mainly about the visual appeal.

Me thinks that Mercs should appeal better to businessmen.

Oh ok.

BMW 7 series.

Honestly, there aren't much difference. Just spend your money and enjoy the car.
BMW sportier image. Merc symbol of wealth.

Anyway, you would probably have to make a decision 3-5 years down the road when a new model comes out again.

Yoda said:

I totally agree that you should reward yourself, if you can afford to.
Based on previous replies, this is not the best forum to ask about those two cars.
Comments like "bimmer is better because mercedes is for bengs" or " get the bmw because it's the ultimate driving machine" doesn't help you.

Go to some U.S forums where these cars are more affordable so there is a larger base of car fanatics who can give you the real insight: www.bimmerforums.com, www.mbworld.org, www.thecarlounge.net

You are able to get real life reviews about production flaws, ride feel, what to look out for when purchasing, etc etc. There are a lot more of these kind of forums so surf and read. You can easily spend a few weeks reading all about these two models.

Status
Not open for further replies.