Which camera is better for my *first* DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pethuel

Feb 12, 2007
erm... anyone can enlighten me?

i wanna move from PnS to DSLR photography...

but i am thinking of getting a 2nd hand one as i dun have budget to get a brand new one... (coz i dunno if i can get use to handling a DSLR)

so i limit down my selection to
Nikon
D70s or D70 (whats the difference of the 2)
D50
Canon
350D
10D (seems like it can fit my budget but i know its really quite old)
Pentax
*ist DS

I got no preference on brand-wise... so anyone pls advice me??

what is your budget?

Actually it doesn't matter that much if you don't take it too seriously. Most DSLR's have all the features that photographers need and in fact they have a lot more features which photographers don't need.

Remember however that the DSLR is just one element of the photo chain-- it is supported by a whole system of lenses, flashes, power grips, etc. There's also ease of use issues, reliability, weatherproofing capability, ergonomics, performance, etc. Hence once you get serious, you'll have to decide whether the whole system is right for you. Not just the DSLR.

Actually it doesn't matter that much if you don't take it too seriously. Most DSLR's have all the features that photographers need and in fact they have a lot more features which photographers don't need.

Remember however that the DSLR is just one element of the photo chain-- it is supported by a whole system of lenses, flashes, power grips, etc. Hence once you get serious, you'll have to decide whether the whole system is right for you. Not just the DSLR.

hmmm... yeah... actually i been getting this *itch* to get my hands on a DSLR so... been borrowing books on photography, and reading magazines and going to harvey-norman jus to play play with their cameras... haha...

i have a canon powershot a710is btw... coz got quite some manual function.. but still limited...

Why not D40x with kit lens & 55-200mm?

Other than camera, you will need dry box, stand, extra battery, books, software..

So slowly, you will gain the BBB virus....

hmmm... yeah... actually i been getting this *itch* to get my hands on a DSLR so... been borrowing books on photography, and reading magazines and going to harvey-norman jus to play play with their cameras... haha...

i have a canon powershot a710is btw... coz got quite some manual function.. but still limited...

the prices for those i listed should be around the same range rite??

haha. Whats your budget, dun tell me you going to just stop at the camera?

I'm no pro, but there are some steps you must undertake before getting a dSLR.

1. Know your wants. What do you want a dSLR for? Upgrade to better quality pics, yearn to probe more into photography, or something a compact may not be able to provide.

2. Budget. What can you get, not only for now, but like the forumners say, the BBB syndrome!

3. Search and Self Study. Google whatever photog links you can find and read more about the products. Learn more about each camera's specifications (if you don't know some of the terms, it's alright. But know what you're looking for!) Don't just go for what other people tell you. Herd instinct is not very healthy for a start. Of course, don't get a killer that looks good but on user level, we can't match the camera's capabilities. On the opposite end, don't get one that doesn't give you the room to grow also. Some of the interesting links:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php
http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digital-cameras/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons45/
http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/panasonic-tz1/tz1-gen.php
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/camera/review/121/page_1.html

Of course, there are endless links, but the above may shed more insights on what you're eyeing for.

4. On-site Hands on. People will give you their fair share of comments. It's like Canon vs Nikon, Toyota vs Nissan etc... it will never end. So take it with a pinch of salt and go for what you really long for. Go to the shop and try them on. What you've read or heard may be different from how it really feels.

Other bros/sis who has the experience pse feel free to share!

Happy hunting! :)

I'm no pro, but there are some steps you must undertake before getting a dSLR.

1. Know your wants. What do you want a dSLR for? Upgrade to better quality pics, yearn to probe more into photography, or something a compact may not be able to provide.

2. Budget. What can you get, not only for now, but like the forumners say, the BBB syndrome!

3. Search and Self Study. Google whatever photog links you can find and read more about the products. Learn more about each camera's specifications (if you don't know some of the terms, it's alright. But know what you're looking for!) Don't just go for what other people tell you. Herd instinct is not very healthy for a start. Of course, don't get a killer that looks good but on user level, we can't match the camera's capabilities. On the opposite end, don't get one that doesn't give you the room to grow also. Some of the interesting links:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php
http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digital-cameras/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons45/
http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/panasonic-tz1/tz1-gen.php
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/camera/review/121/page_1.html

Of course, there are endless links, but the above may shed more insights on what you're eyeing for.

4. On-site Hands on. People will give you their fair share of comments. It's like Canon vs Nikon, Toyota vs Nissan etc... it will never end. So take it with a pinch of salt and go for what you really long for. Go to the shop and try them on. What you've read or heard may be different from how it really feels.

Other bros/sis who has the experience pse feel free to share!

Happy hunting! :)

wow... like 10 year series compiled together tip sia! haha.. nice...
i go check it out first... haha...

but i jus wanted some help from fellow forummers to assist in my choice of camera ... D70s? or D50? or 350D? or *ist DS? mar.. haha... then slowly i can formulate which is the best budget plan to suit each camera choice... :)

the best way to go is nikon d80 with kit lens 18 - 135mm lens....make a mistake to go for 400D...in the end buy more lens that i planned...

the best way to go is nikon d80 with kit lens 18 - 135mm lens....make a mistake to go for 400D...in the end buy more lens that i planned...

coulda woulda shoulda have just gotten the 5D + 24-105 L kit.... :D :D :D

Be happy with what u have...

Er... nothing wrong with that leh... it means your skills are expanding! ;)

Hi Pethuel, I think a 350d will be a good bet. Just get the body, and then get a better lens. Probably a 3rd party one.

But usually for 2nd hand, they usually bundle it with kit lens, so I guess its a good start! :)

i saw this 2nd D70s with 18-200mm Tamron lens.... is this lens good?? i see that you are using a tamron 18-200mm lens too

Firstly - what will you be shooting?

Secondly - have you tried any of those cameras yet to see their handling?

Thirdly - do you really need a DSLR - why? Have you read up on the basics of photography more than just using a P&S?

I mean zero offense in any of these questions, so please do not get me wrong. I think the crux is actually 3; other than that any camera will do for a beginner so long as you have the drive to go out and shoot, of course the brand is more important, since later on you'd have the pros and cons of every brand thrown into the circle. There are a lot of people here who want to get a DSLR, but they still do not know what aperture or shutter speed is, and that worries me, because to me even if they get a DSLR that is going to be a massive waste of the DSLR.

Cheers!

He has already limited his options to the listed few. I guess the next plausible question is his budget. Then it wouldn't matter what he'd do with the camera, that's up to him. In all fairness, it's his money afterall.

I think his budget is about $1k.

Pethuel, with your p&s, what kind of pictures do you usually shoot? I think the listed bodies are good for starting out. However, what's more important is to get a good lens!

He has already limited his options to the listed few. I guess the next plausible question is his budget. Then it wouldn't matter what he'd do with the camera, that's up to him. In all fairness, it's his money afterall.
Well, it does matter what he's going to use it for, my dear boy. If he's going to do a lot of low light shots then Canon with its good ISO performance would be recommended, etc etc.

Every camera brand has its body strengths and weaknesses - even more so for entry-level DSLRs. Crop factor to me, should also be an issue, though possibly minimal.

I think his budget is about $1k.

Pethuel, with your p&s, what kind of pictures do you usually shoot? I think the listed bodies are good for starting out. However, what's more important is to get a good lens!

yeah my budget's around there too... hopefully won't be more then that *yet... haha... BBB virus...

hmmm... i guess my shots would be more outdoor? like landscapes, and i like nature macro shots too... and i guess portrait shots would be nice...

my cousin's wedding is end of this year, i want to be able to get some nice shots from the wedding...

Well, it does matter what he's going to use it for, my dear boy. If he's going to do a lot of low light shots then Canon with its good ISO performance would be recommended, etc etc.

Every camera brand has its body strengths and weaknesses - even more so for entry-level DSLRs. Crop factor to me, should also be an issue, though possibly minimal.

hmmm... so crop factor should be as "the smaller the better?" or pls explain how it works... i know that 350D and 400D has a crop factor of 1.6x issit? wats thats btw and how can it be an issue/problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.