Which brands of Desktop computer is better?


Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonstone

New Member
Sep 25, 2004
464
0
0
Woodlands
#1
Hi all, I am planning to replace my aging Desktop computer and was stuck between HP and DELL. Which one is better in terms of performance and value. A 17" LCD panel better or CRT type? My usage are mainly for Photoshop, emails and office documents. Budget around S$2,000. Thanks in advance.;)
 

nitellort

New Member
Jan 29, 2005
195
0
0
34
Pasir Ris
#2
if mainly for P.S and office and email... advice is if can afford go for a MAC.... it's alot more powerful.... if not y don try simlim custom build pc... alot cheaper den hp or dell... :D
 

Germinc

New Member
Aug 17, 2005
66
0
0
29
hErE lAh
#5
Im using Acer also. Dunno how to build me own sia. Too lazy also.
 

hazta

New Member
Jul 17, 2005
1,036
0
0
SG,Northern
#6
Moonstone said:
Hi all, I am planning to replace my aging Desktop computer and was stuck between HP and DELL. Which one is better in terms of performance and value. A 17" LCD panel better or CRT type? My usage are mainly for Photoshop, emails and office documents. Budget around S$2,000. Thanks in advance.;)
Hi

As a freelancer in PC service n repair, I'd say both ur choices r close to perfect. Diz of course apart from system config, r their after sales service.

The only difference is dat for Dell, u will not b able to see e actual physical stuff prior to deciding. For me, I'd prefer to look n hav a feel at e actual physical item to decide. So u hav to decide bet e 2.

Between e 2, I wud b more comfortable w HP.

However, my PCs r all DIY (personally). I like it diz way, coz I hav e option to select my own hardwares according to e purpose for each.

If u prefer diz, u can go down to SLS n get a quote from e shops there (u must know wat u want). I'd recommend goin to e 5th or 6th level for better offers. U might actually b paying less for more or more for better.

Macs r another option to consider. I do own a Mac too n my wife simply luv it. She gets used to it in no time n found it 2b more user friendly than PC. As for me, well... I'm into diz kinda stuff so luv both n each has its own pros n cons.

My humble 2 cents...
 

#7
hazta said:
Hi

As a freelancer in PC service n repair, I'd say both ur choices r close to perfect. Diz of course apart from system config, r their after sales service.

The only difference is dat for Dell, u will not b able to see e actual physical stuff prior to deciding. For me, I'd prefer to look n hav a feel at e actual physical item to decide. So u hav to decide bet e 2.

Between e 2, I wud b more comfortable w HP.

However, my PCs r all DIY (personally). I like it diz way, coz I hav e option to select my own hardwares according to e purpose for each.

If u prefer diz, u can go down to SLS n get a quote from e shops there (u must know wat u want). I'd recommend goin to e 5th or 6th level for better offers. U might actually b paying less for more or more for better.

Macs r another option to consider. I do own a Mac too n my wife simply luv it. She gets used to it in no time n found it 2b more user friendly than PC. As for me, well... I'm into diz kinda stuff so luv both n each has its own pros n cons.

My humble 2 cents...

... eh. I think can check out Dell PCs at a kiosk in Suntec City level 1... i think near the escalator to Harvey Norman.

And I agree with hazta, you get more value for money with DIY .... but more hassle too if you are not so computer-literate.
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#9
I've never liked wholesales systems, being

1) warrany gets void if you want to add anything (like extra RAM) if you remove that sticker on the casing.

2) when parts are damaged, it takes 1 day to call them up, 1 day to arrive, 1 day to bring it back and many moons to bring it back. DIY allows me to switch the part immediately.

3) Built-in parts. DELL/HP/ACER mostly depends on on-board parts. Like VGA, sound etc. Never liked the idea of bulit in parts, CPU processing, RAM allocation all gets shared. Speed is one thing you can forget about getting from whole sale systems.

4) No upgrade path. One, two years down the road, you simply have no upgrade path, you can't change anything without dumping the entire system. Has no resale value and you have to go through the whole thing on buying a new system. AGAIN.

5) Optional changes - adds video card, sound blah blah. Costs a damn blardy bomb, a leg, an arm and probably your car.

I would advise you, find a friend, pay him a sum of money to build a system to your preference. At least 2 months down the road, you want to upgrade to another 2GB RAM, ACER/HP/DELL won't be telling you 1) system cannot support, 2) it costs $4K, 3) No parts available yet.

As for Macs, they're nice, they're cool BUT, same problem with wholesale systems, you can't upgrade the parts simply by yourself.

As for LCD, if you aren't into hardcore image editing, any LCD would suffice. CRTs are getting bulkier for my preference, :)

Hope it helps.
 

Stereobox

Senior Member
Dec 21, 2003
2,116
0
0
Cocteau Twins
#10
StreetShooter said:
Dell very good.
and Sakae...very,very good sushi!

must go ne! :bsmilie:

and oh ya, agree with espn. but when your system runs into trouble, the friend who helped you build the system becomes the tech support...and it depends on his/her mood whether he/she wants to help you or not :bsmilie:
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#11
Stereobox said:
and Sakae...very,very good sushi!

must go ne! :bsmilie:

and oh ya, agree with espn. but when your system runs into trouble, the friend who helped you build the system becomes the tech support...and it depends on his/her mood whether he/she wants to help you or not :bsmilie:
Basically, you ask nicely, cover his transports, a meal, is cheaper than you bang balls and head when you have problems.
 

hazta

New Member
Jul 17, 2005
1,036
0
0
SG,Northern
#12
catseye said:
... eh. I think can check out Dell PCs at a kiosk in Suntec City level 1... i think near the escalator to Harvey Norman.
Ooh... is dat so? News for me. :bigeyes:
 

hazta

New Member
Jul 17, 2005
1,036
0
0
SG,Northern
#13
espn said:
I would advise you, find a friend, pay him a sum of money to build a system to your preference.
Some of my customers did request I do it for them. However, I wud always advice them to get it done from any shop in SLS instead.

Diz is mainly due warranty purposes. If say u get a friend or me for example, any issues u will hav to get back to either of us n at times we will not b able to provide some services/warranty as provided by e shop.

Yeah I know, warranty means warranty but there r issues datz difficult to explain.

Believe me I've gone thru much of diz. So if u really decide to DIY, get it from a shop. It is much more safer...

My humble 2 cents...
 

user111

Senior Member
Jul 27, 2004
4,702
0
36
#14
u can DIY

80bg WD HDD
1gb ram
128mb gfx card
P4 2.8 Ghz
cdrw/dvd-rom
usb 2.0 4 ports

for about $1k at SLS shops

then choose any cheap 17" LCD @ $400 or so.

wait for computer show in first week of september. prices may drop or there may be bundled deals :cool:
 

user111

Senior Member
Jul 27, 2004
4,702
0
36
#15
StreetShooter said:
Dell very good.
lol. a lot of hardware freaks still dont like dell ;)

but their desktop replacement laptops are worth a try. best bang for the buck
 

Moonstone

New Member
Sep 25, 2004
464
0
0
Woodlands
#16
Hi everybody, thank you for all your precious time & advices. Really great that I can get all these timely advices here. I almost splash in 2K to get a wholesale computer without knowing what lies ahead as 'espn' just mentioned. I'll have a DIY computer instead:)
 

StreetShooter

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
4,634
0
0
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org
#17
Why I like Dell:

1. Good value for money, if you get the basic configuration. Factoring in the cost of original software, it's about the same price as a DIY system.

2. The components tend to have higher quality control. I understand that a lot of the stuff in Sim Lim did not, let's just say, pass quality control testing. I have had about 3 Dells, and maybe 4 DIY / commissioned (eg Techzone) PC's. The Dells have been rock solid stable, no problem from day one. I usually buy memory from Sim Lim and upgrade them myself. The DIY PC's are much less stable somehow (and yes, it's original software as well).

3. The Dell casings are usually very well designed for ease of maintenance. Usually don't even need a screwdriver for opening up and upgrading components. They are also built very very solidly compared to the recycled tin can types you get from Sim Lim.

Why I don't like Dell:

1. Takes up to a week to deliver.

I do my own troubleshooting so tech support is not an issue.
 

erictan8888

Senior Member
Nov 9, 2004
2,883
1
0
Singapore
#18
actually i would advise to go for DIY if you dun really mind spending a little more...
the DIY system is so much better.... though more expensive...
try to configure your own system on dell or any company... the price might not be as cheap as you think....

i have been using DIY for about more than 10 years liao... so far very good....
 

Ah Pao

Senior Member
Nov 7, 2003
1,662
0
36
Singapore
www.facebook.com
#19
espn said:
Basically, you ask nicely, cover his transports, a meal, is cheaper than you bang balls and head when you have problems.
Yes, all those things help relieve your friend's inconvenience and also easier on your pocket, but it also depends on your friend's schedule.

Being a DIYer myself and "my friend's PC handyman", it can be quite frustrating receiving calls or MSN asking me to help fix their PCs.

Oh well, at least it helps let me get in touch with my friends. ;p

Go for Dell/HP if you are cash-rich and don't mind paying for service. For people who DIY, the one advantage is that your are your own technical support, and don't have to pay someone else to do it.
 

Yin

New Member
Jun 19, 2005
42
0
0
Singapore
yin.santay.net
#20
same reply as the above, I'd recommend DIY pc anytime. but if that is not possible, get a Dell.

-posted on behalf of detrop
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom