Which bag/lens appropriate for 5D ski trip + city tour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwi2

Deregistered
Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
Hi,

I'll be going to a 5 days guided tour of Mt Sorak and Seoul for ski trip and city sightseeing. Would like to hear opinions from people who've been there or with such a similar experience.

What kind of bag will be most convenient, especially when skiiing? Shoulder strap, waist belt or backpack type?

It's a short trip but I also can't decide which lenses to bring. Am thinking of squeezing my lightweight 70-200mm f/4L but thought it might not be used that frequently. Also depends on the bag I'm bringing...

Thanks very much!!

i think the waist belt would be the best..

i went skiing before... having a backpac is not logical, one is because if you are new to skiing, you will find difficulties in just standard alone... it is impossible (for me) to squat when you are with the equipment, unless you have v strong legs. two is eaiser to get the cam out.. easier to keep and take.. but if you fall, which you will, god bless your camera...

both pros and cons...

personal advice, don't bring too exp things there. latter kanna stolen or damage... (very easily one)

Thanks yamcake for the advice... But even with the waist belt type, if I fall the cam and lenses take the knocking too right? Would you advise that I leave the bag somewhere and enjoy the ski instead?

Ermm, I don't quite understand your last statement about the equipment getting stolen and damaged... Whichever cam and lens I bring, they do cost quite a bit. :p Are there many pickpockets over there?

kiwi2 said:
Thanks yamcake for the advice... But even with the waist belt type, if I fall the cam and lenses take the knocking too right? Would you advise that I leave the bag somewhere and enjoy the ski instead?

hi! i think unless it;s just skiing on very gentle slopes, it would be better to leave ur bag somewhere safe. But then again, if it's ur first time skiing it may be rather difficult to maintain balance even on slight slopes heh..

enjoy your holiday!

kiwi2 said:

Ermm, I don't quite understand your last statement about the equipment getting stolen and damaged... Whichever cam and lens I bring, they do cost quite a bit. :p Are there many pickpockets over there?

If its your first time skiing, you will probably be falling front back left right up down and end up in all sorts of awkward positions...no joke..so no matter what kind of bag you use, chances are your equipment will be taking some knocks..

Equipment aside, you are going to love the falling part..hehe..its going to be fun :p

so maybe you can take your equipment out for some shots at the base and keep them in a coin locker before taking the lifts up the slope (and if you have a pocket size digicam..then maybe you can just slip it in the pockets of your ski suit and bring it up with you..)

have fun skiing! :thumbsup:

DaoBuLiao said:
If its your first time skiing, you will probably be falling front back left right up down and end up in all sorts of awkward positions...no joke..so no matter what kind of bag you use, chances are your equipment will be taking some knocks..

Equipment aside, you are going to love the falling part..hehe..its going to be fun :p

so maybe you can take your equipment out for some shots at the base and keep them in a coin locker before taking the lifts up the slope (and if you have a pocket size digicam..then maybe you can just slip it in the pockets of your ski suit and bring it up with you..)

have fun skiing! :thumbsup:

Coin locker not safe. If anyone sees u stashing an expensive looking camera or large camera bad into the locker, he's going to prise the locker open... either carry it and take the risk if u should fall or dun bring at all...

I once carried an F90X + MB10 and 28-200 for skiing in Europe. It was a nightmare where balancing is concerned and to think i am a seasoned skier since the early 90's. A long lens (eg. 200mm) is very useful when you are on the slopes but i learnt my lesson and will not carry heavy body and lenses if i want to enjoy skiing. Now i either carry a small digicam (Canon Ixus series) for quick fun snaps with friends or a small SLR setup with no heavy zoom, just one prime only (Nikon FM2n + 50/1.8 or 85/1.8D - works great! dont have to worry about failing cold batts! Fast prime lens good for low-light evening shots). This makes you think and work hard for your shots and you will feel a sense of achievement when the shots come out great. All this in a waist pouch (belt pack). Then for town shots during the day, i pack in a cheap small zoom (like a 70-300 or an older 70-210 or 80-200) in case it gets stolen during the day when i'm out skiing.

ps - remember to bring spare batts - you will need it - trust me.

good luck!

I think skiing and shooting at the same time is dangerous and unsafe. (almost same as drinking and driving!)
Everyone will fall down a number of times when skiing. So when you fall, your camera will hit the snow first. If you are unlucky, the camera will also hit your body. Oouch!

You should leave your camera at the hotel, just go up the slope and enjoy the skiing portion of your holiday. The memory is unforgettable.

On the other hand, you can ask the travel agent whether there is snow-mobile in the ski resort. You can rent the snow-mobile, and ride up the slope with your camera gear, and take nice snow peaks photos easily.

Oh BTW, when snow falls, it falls sideway, unlike rain falls which is from top to down. So when snow hit your camera, it melts and becomes little water droplet, and most likely end up inside your camera. So you would need to wrap your camera either with a transparent plastic bag (cheap) or with a dedicated camera/lens raincoat (expensive).

Hi all,

A very big thank you for the useful advice and replies! I gather the general consensus is that enjoying the ski and taking pics don't quite go hand in hand. Oh yes, I'm a first time, out-of-the-womb beginner who has never skied b4! While I'm expecting all the falls and knocks in all directions (heh-heh) I think I might just leave my camera gear in the hotel. The worst is not being able to enjoy the ski by constantly worrying about my camera gear.

But you know, as we all are avid photographers, it's hard to leave behind our equipment when going to beautiful places. But I guess I'd rather not take the chances... :)

kiwi2 said:
Hi all,

A very big thank you for the useful advice and replies! I gather the general consensus is that enjoying the ski and taking pics don't quite go hand in hand. Oh yes, I'm a first time, out-of-the-womb beginner who has never skied b4! While I'm expecting all the falls and knocks in all directions (heh-heh) I think I might just leave my camera gear in the hotel. The worst is not being able to enjoy the ski by constantly worrying about my camera gear.

But you know, as we all are avid photographers, it's hard to leave behind our equipment when going to beautiful places. But I guess I'd rather not take the chances... :)

you can always bring those P&S digi cams... small lightweight... should be okay... thats what i did...

Forgot to tell you this very important thing:

At Yong Pyong Ski resort (i went), they will let you take a cable car to the Dragon's Peak. You don't have to wear ski suit. But its freezing cold and windy. Don't whether your camera can it... your hands will be piecing cold. Trust me. But the view is breath taking.. Very nice!

My suggestion would be:

When you are skiing, don't carry any camera. Put in a locker (who care if its very expensive. lost of spoil then you know). After when you want to go to the peak. then bring your what ever lens or body there lor...

For skiing, be as light as possible. I would even avoid a pouch if possible. Ski jacket pockets should be sufficient to store what you need. Everything else in the locker.

I usually carry a compact camera (A70) that would fit nicely. If film cam, you should be able to squeeze 2 extra rolls somewhere.

Anyway, you should be skiing and having fun doing so. Don't think so much into taking photos unless you really have time to spare.

In any case, stopping along the slopes/trails to take photos is not safe. You never know who's coming behind you and crashing into you.

My opinions are based on Australian ski slopes/resorts, not Korea.

Have fun!!! :)

IMHO, just enjoy your ski and let the the Korean pro photographer who
will be with you throughout the trip handles the photo taking part. Just
buy a couple of pics from him/her if they turn out nice. When I
had my 1st skiing lesson in Korea last year, I only managed to ski/fall
for about an hour. After that I gave up as I found that skiing is just
too tough and tiring for me, imagine I perspire like hell in a minus degree
weather. I spent the rest of the day snapping away with my P&S Dimage
Xi. The snow mountain view was simply breath-taking that even the
pics shot from a P&S were nice. So forget about the bulky cams and
lenses, a small compact P&S will do a good job too !

Thanks all again for the extra info. Darn it, the pros make skiing look so fun and effortless huh!! :rolleyes:

Think I'll then go light on this trip. But I might not want to bring any camera to the mountains. I don't own any compact digital cam.. unless I buy a 2ndhand one b4 the trip. :) Have always wanted to own a smaller cam like that. Anyway, my DSLR will most likely come with me but I'll drop the idea of bringing my 70-200mm.

Bring a digicam (eg ixus) with a water-proof casing. Then you won't be worried even if your kids throw a snowball at you:

snowball.jpg

Or you can get the Sony DSC U-60. Waterproof, 2 MP, indestructible even if you drop it.

Hahaha... Interesting shot you've got there SS!

Thanks for your suggestion... Hmm, but I don't think I wish to get a waterproof cam or casing just for a short ski trip. I'll see how it goes...

Status
Not open for further replies.