Which approach is good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertstrike

Sep 29, 2008
CCK
when shooting moving subjects like animals, birds... etc

1) fixed iso at high value, aperture mode, aperture wide open, shutter speed auto

or

2) shutter speed mode, fixed shutter speed fast, aperture auto, iso 200

or

3) manual mode, fixed shutter speed fast, aperture wide, iso 200

which approach is better?

when shooting moving subjects like animals, birds... etc

1) fixed iso at high value, aperture mode, aperture wide open, shutter speed auto

or

2) shutter speed mode, fixed shutter speed fast, aperture auto, iso 200

or

3) manual mode, fixed shutter speed fast, aperture wide, iso 200

which approach is better?

it all depends on the AMOUNT of light you get on the subject. No one can TELL u which it the right way to go about it as EACH scene differs.

What you'd want to do is to get as low a ISO as possible to maintain a clean picture, yet have it sufficient to get the shutter speed high enough to freeze the action or creature clearly. Having a clean background is also a good idea if you're able to achieve it.

suggest shutter priority or manual mode. set shutter speed to what you want, whether you want super motion freeze or slight blur, then adjust iso/aperture accordingly to get good exposure if possible.

zac is right there is no "correct" way to do it. but if your intention is to shoot moving subjects then might as well start w/ shutter speed. no point getting good exposure on a blurry mess.

you know...i can think of 3 different situations where i'll be using the 3 different approaches you mentioned! :)

As a photographer, you have to be competent of basic photography skills and apply them according to the environment you're in.
i.e- there is no better 'approach' that works indefinitely :p

Hope this helps

There is no fixed or correct method, just use whichever you're comfortable with. What matters most is that you managed to get the shot you wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.