Which 43" rear projection TV is good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, none of them. All the projection TVs I've seen have low brightness and contrast, highly pixelated, and has limited viewing angles.

I suggest you get a 34" or so flat screen TV. The Phillips PixelPlus series looks very good, as is some of the Toshiba ones.

Of coz, if you have the moola, nothing beats a 40" Plasma display. :devil:

Regards
CK

Agree with ckiang on the "quality"of projection tvs.
My choice of TV (am looking to buy one around Christmas timeframe) would be either the Sony Wega or the Philips new range (PixelPlus?).

The Philips 29-incher (cost $1,999) looks really good, although the Wega sharpness is slightly better. The color on the Philips is much more natural, while we all know what kind of colors Sony prefer ;p

But having said, that I still prefer the DRC1250 mode on my current Wega for watching DVDs as it really makes the image very sharp and vibrant. Philips not quite there yet.

No opinion on the rest of the brands (Samsung, Tosh, Sharp, etc), but those brands have never caught my eye either in terms of pic quality or aesthetics/design, while the Philips/Sony have.

Any views on projectors?? Hmm.. heasrd its not that good for long hours of viewing and the bulb is costly.. Any views??:dunno:

Originally posted by Violett
Any views on projectors?? Hmm.. heasrd its not that good for long hours of viewing and the bulb is costly.. Any views??:dunno:

Texas Instruments is good. We used it to project from a TV onto the wall and watched world cup on it. Its very high definition. Its almost like having a 34in TV like experience on a wall.

Originally posted by maddog

Texas Instruments is good. We used it to project from a TV onto the wall and watched world cup on it. Its very high definition. Its almost like having a 34in TV like experience on a wall.

Price??? And also is replacing of the bulb costly??

Originally posted by Violett

Price??? And also is replacing of the bulb costly??

Not sure exact price. But around 5K. I don't know how much the bulb costs. I like it cos its small, sharp and doesn't generate as much heat as the others.

Originally posted by Darren
Agree with ckiang on the "quality"of projection tvs.
My choice of TV (am looking to buy one around Christmas timeframe) would be either the Sony Wega or the Philips new range (PixelPlus?).

The Philips 29-incher (cost $1,999) looks really good, although the Wega sharpness is slightly better. The color on the Philips is much more natural, while we all know what kind of colors Sony prefer ;p

But having said, that I still prefer the DRC1250 mode on my current Wega for watching DVDs as it really makes the image very sharp and vibrant. Philips not quite there yet.

No opinion on the rest of the brands (Samsung, Tosh, Sharp, etc), but those brands have never caught my eye either in terms of pic quality or aesthetics/design, while the Philips/Sony have.

Hmm.... I find those Sony Wegas on display everywhere not fantastic. Some flickers, some has oversharpening, etc compared to the new PixelPlus TVs. :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
Hmm.... I find those Sony Wegas on display everywhere not fantastic. Some flickers, some has oversharpening, etc compared to the new PixelPlus TVs. :)
ahhh .... but you must compare with the Wega ES series which are made in Japan, not those that are assembled in Malaysia (which I believe were labelled XA series)

The tubes for the non-ES series are of lower quality and the overall construction is also not as good (more plastic).

The current AR series (unsure where they are made, most likely Malaysia as well) series seem to be an improvement over the XA, but still not as good as the ES series.

Can't seem to find the ES series info on sony.com.sg (Sony not bringing in any more?) but they are still widely available at the usual places.

Originally posted by Darren
ahhh .... but you must compare with the Wega ES series which are made in Japan, not those that are assembled in Malaysia (which I believe were labelled XA series)

The tubes for the non-ES series are of lower quality and the overall construction is also not as good (more plastic).

The current AR series (unsure where they are made, most likely Malaysia as well) series seem to be an improvement over the XA, but still not as good as the ES series.

Can't seem to find the ES series info on sony.com.sg (Sony not bringing in any more?) but they are still widely available at the usual places.

Ah, no wonder!! So the majority of those out there are the lower-end Malaysian ones! ;p

Regards
CK

Hi,

For more info on video projectors & TVs,
you might want to logon to
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?board=12
to read the forum threads.

Quite a number of them recommend the good & affordable Panasonic AE100 which cost about S$2,600++.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=133518

If got bigger budget, can go for EPSON TW100.
Price I think is $4,000++
http://www.epson.com.sg/html/projectors.html
Sample pics at
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=6868

But gentle warning, photography is not a cheap hobby / passion.
Home theatre is another thing that makes you dig your wallets.

Assuming you have a budget of only S$5k, it'll be generally advisable to buy let's say the AE100 & spent the rest of the money on buying DVDs &/or upgrading your HiFi sys.

I had the Sony Wega 43" for 4 years now. No problem till today. Very good picture and sound. Got it after comparing with the other brands more for its color and reliability.

... Harvey Norman Funan Centre has a special promo for the new Panasonic Plasma screen --- sweeeeeet!! I always thought that plasma TVs were blurry and unsharp (and indeed, most of the ones i had seen previously were), but this Panasonic totally blew me away.

Hurry, hurry cos the promo is for the first 5 units only, and the price will revert back to S$9,999.

Comes with speakers, desktop stand and free VCR player. (worth about S$1,300 total).

watch out for the pixelplus features, I think all it does was sharpening of the picture; some scenes where there are complicated patterns (e.g water waves) will look pretty ugly.

of course philips pixelplus models do have option for you to select pixelplus, Progressive scan or 100scan.

many of my friends agree the toshiba tv/projection tubes are amongst the best and yet don't cost as much as sony.

I suggest you get a 34" or so flat screen TV. The Phillips PixelPlus series looks very good, as is some of the Toshiba ones.

Hi

my friend working in Best Denki HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to buy Hitachi as the display set in the store is the toughest one among all brands. The built is said to be better than other brands and it's not as high priced as some brands. I never used a rear projection TV and I only can provide this advice given by my friend. I so hope this will help in some ways.

Like that also can? :)

Regards
CK

aiyar.... keep changing comps, so how to store as favorite? :p
anyway, after reading up on progressive scan, i can understand why guys love to dabber in HT too :D
So, the 3 ills -> photography, HT, cars
the greatest ill -> women :bsmilie:

Originally posted by Shadus

aiyar.... keep changing comps, so how to store as favorite? :p
anyway, after reading up on progressive scan, i can understand why guys love to dabber in HT too :D
So, the 3 ills -> photography, HT, cars
the greatest ill -> women :bsmilie:
I'm going to tell tales liao....

*let see... Shad's GF e-mail is......*

Status
Not open for further replies.