Which 35mm lens to get

Friend got the Sigma 35f1.4 for 980 @MS Color
In bucket list although I'm still using DX.

Last edited:
Recently or back during its launch?

I checked the price and was around 1065 a month ago.

Friend got the Sigma 35f1.4 for 980 @MS Color
In bucket list although I'm still using DX.

Incredibly tempted to get the Sigma 35mm, but I heard several people are having problems with autofocus in low light and when using the off-center focus points. Anyone here has experience with these problems?

I always see people complaining about ability to focus in low light. So far, none of my Sigma lenses faced this problem. I believe in extreme low light, you need to be familiar with techniques to lock in the focus. A good place to practice is in your own room at night with light switched off, window open, and focus on something that the weak window light is shining. Is that dark enough? Anything more dark, then seriously, we are expecting too much. Why would people want to shoot in total pitch dark situations??

If your friend is shooting events and can't focus, then I will say 90% of the time, it's him who is the problem, not the lens.

Suggest you to rent it out and try before buying. Hopefully all these questions will be out of your head. It's only $30 :)

When trying to focus in low light and off center focus points, one needs to pay attention to the capability of the camera body sensor.

There are cross type sensor points and vertical type sensor points. Cross type sensor points are better at nailing focus while vertical type have limitations only capable of detecting contrast on vertical lines.

It does not help when trying to nail AF more than 2/3 distance away from the center of the lens in low light due to the lower MTF resolution of the lens coupled with the usage of vertical type AF points.

There are known early copies of the Sigma 35mm that have forward or backward focus issues. Perhaps your friend needs to have his lens and body's AF calibrated. It could also be a case where mentioned above where one is operating the system beyond its reliable limits.

Incredibly tempted to get the Sigma 35mm, but I heard several people are having problems with autofocus in low light and when using the off-center focus points. Anyone here has experience with these problems?

Last edited:
Not just early copies got front or back focus problem. Some current batches have this issue too.

Tested 3 sets at the shop with 2 sets a little out with front focus issue. Bought the 3rd set with no focus issue but started having squeaking sound after less than a week and luckily shop was nice to replace a new set.

You need to bring your camera to test properly to get a perfectly focused set and get 1 from a authorised dealer to ensure that you can get it exchanged or repaired without cost.

Once you grabbed a perfectly good set, it is a gem to keep.

When trying to focus in low light and off center focus points, one needs to pay attention to the capability of the camera body sensor.

There are cross type sensor points and vertical type sensor points. Cross type sensor points are better at nailing focus while vertical type have limitations only capable of detecting contrast on vertical lines.

It does not help when trying to nail AF more than 2/3 distance away from the center of the lens in low light due to the lower MTF resolution of the lens coupled with the usage of vertical type AF points.

There are known early copies of the Sigma 35mm that have forward or backward focus issues. Perhaps your friend needs to have his lens and body's AF calibrated. It could also be a case where mentioned above where one is operating the system beyond its reliable limits.

Not just early copies got front or back focus problem. Some current batches have this issue too.

Tested 3 sets at the shop with 2 sets a little out with front focus issue. Bought the 3rd set with no focus issue but started having squeaking sound after less than a week and luckily shop was nice to replace a new set.

You need to bring your camera to test properly to get a perfectly focused set and get 1 from a authorised dealer to ensure that you can get it exchanged or repaired without cost.

Once you grabbed a perfectly good set, it is a gem to keep.

Until you upgrade your camera body and found it not focusing properly that is.