Whic medium format camera for a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

klick

Mar 27, 2005
Can anybody tell me which are the entry level medium format cameras. I prefer to buy old ones.
Thanks in advance.

I don't think he wants to use a digital back lah! :)

6x4.5 cm:
Mamiya 645 are easy to get cheaply, they have interchangeable backs if you shoot with different films often, and lenses are easy to get used in SG. If you are no tparicular about the model, get the M645 Super wihich still has changeable backs, so you can use a polaroid back if necessary. If you don't need all this, you can look for the older M645 1000S (stronger metal body), bu tno internchangeable backs. Lenses will fit all models from the M645 to the latest M645 AF-D......

Other options are:
Pentax 645, P645N P645NII (latter two are AF cameras), lenses are hard to come by in SG

Contax AF645: can get some used ones on Clubsnap.... but expensive
Bronica Etrsi, Etrs (lenses easy available)
Fuji 645 rangefinders

6x6 cm:
Rollei(cord) twin reflexes: varies from SGD 300->2000
Rolleicord copies like: minoltaflex, too many to recall.......check the used camera shops....especially Camix, Prime and Camera Workshop....
Bronica

6x7 cm:
Mamiya 7II (rangefinder though)
Pentax 6x7 (get older ones, good enough), bu heavy body and loud! Lenses are cheap and lightweight...
Mamiya RB/RZ 67
Bronica GS-1

6x8 cm:
Fuji GX 680 (hard to find in SG)

How come never mention Hasselblad?

An icon of 120 6x6 format.

Fuji rangefinders do have 645, 67, 69 and 617

Btw, if you interested in Bronica SQ, (6x6 also)let me know.

catchlights said:
How come never mention Hasselblad?

An icon of 120 6x6 format.

Fuji rangefinders do have 645, 67, 69 and 617

Btw, if you interested in Bronica SQ, (6x6 also)let me know.
Hassleblad? Oh S***!
Your right....Hassleblad:
500C
500CM
501C
etc etc
All good and the bodies shouldn't cost much, the lenses get those silver ones, good enough....and offcourse people will tell you otherwise....

HS

Unfortunatelym as is often with such questions, purpose and cost are not mentioned.

Making the assumption that it is for an impoverished bloke who just want a medium foramt camera to start off, I would respectfully mention the Chinese Seagull Twin lens reflex.

student said:
Unfortunatelym as is often with such questions, purpose and cost are not mentioned.

Making the assumption that it is for an impoverished bloke who just want a medium foramt camera to start off, I would respectfully mention the Chinese Seagull Twin lens reflex.
Oh, i forgot so many others, but luckily I mentioned Rolleicord copies.....:)so all the other TLR can fall in this group.....The Seagul is a fine tool too, at this filmformat you won't see the quality differences of the lens so quickly........I used an old Minoltaflex, from just after the war, great cam! Thanks student for pointing out my ignorance....there are just too many cameras around.....

HS

catchlights said:
I tot you are anti-Hassleblad. :bsmilie:
No lah! The only gripe I have against them is that their reputation hinges on the quality of the Zeiss lenses.....they are only body makers......

HS

I'd suggest you start with a TLR. fully manual, and you get exposure and focus control. however, good TLRs at reasonable prices are terribly difficult to obtain here in Singapore. without going to HK or elsewhere to get your starter TLR, you can try Ebay.

personally i bought my Yashicamat 124 off Ebay for US$95 which plus shipping amounts to about S$175. pretty reasonable for a good condition, good quality TLR.

for more info on medium format, you can try this site: http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/

student said:

Agree, I bought one for $50 only. Just for collection......., off course is a working set.

hongsien said:
No lah! The only gripe I have against them is that their reputation hinges on the quality of the Zeiss lenses.....they are only body makers......

HS
Don’t you think the design of the body is simple yet classic?

Thanks all for your valuable suggestions.
I would like to use 6X6 format mainly with no digital backs.
My budget is around $200
Within this price ranges I've seen some Yashica MAT124, Rolleicord Vb, and chienese Seagull...So any suggestions on these three particular brands and any other equivalent cameras?
Thanks again
-Klick

Status
Not open for further replies.