Where to send for camera cleaning?

addixon777

Mar 31, 2007
Hi there,

First of all, im not sure f this is the right place to ask for help.
If there is another thread which has been setup for this discussion, appreciate if you could guide me there.

I noticed through my view finder of my Canon 5D MK II, there are like dust in the form of 'hair'. I believed it could be from the lens pen i tried to clean the mirror etc. For some reason i just couldn't get rid of it with blower and in-built sensor cleaning. To ensure that i dont damage my camera, i supposed i should send it to the proper folks for cleaning. But i do not know where i can get this done. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi there,

If there is another thread which has been setup for this discussion, appreciate if you could guide me there.

I noticed through my view finder of my Canon 5D MK II, there are like dust in the form of 'hair'. I believed it could be from the lens pen i tried to clean the mirror etc. For some reason i just couldn't get rid of it with blower and in-built sensor cleaning. To ensure that i dont damage my camera, i supposed i should send it to the proper folks for cleaning. But i do not know where i can get this done. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bring your camera to Canon Service Centre (CSC) at Harbourfront. They are on the ground floor. The charge I believe is around $20-$25.

Bring your camera to Canon Service Centre (CSC) at Harbourfront. They are on the ground floor. The charge I believe is around $20-$25.

Thanks. Is that the only place i can send it to?

Thanks. Is that the only place i can send it to?

There is a bro named Fatigue (ClubSnap name) who does wonderful work with camera equipment. You can PM him and inquire his availability. He recently completed a repair on one of my lenses and did a very commendable job. He comes highly recommended... many ClubSnappers have had great success with him.

Thanks, raydio. Will check it out.

There is a bro named Fatigue (ClubSnap name) who does wonderful work with camera equipment. You can PM him and inquire his availability. He recently completed a repair on one of my lenses and did a very commendable job. He comes highly recommended... many ClubSnappers have had great success with him.

Agreed. My lens currently still repaired by him. Price seems reasonable. Very nice person. Although have yet to get the results, I believe he is reliable and highly recommended.

Hi there,

Thanks!

sounds like the inside of the vf is dirty thus blower is unable to reach it. The hair that you see isn't on the sensor cos the you look thru the vf thru the glass, the the si indicator plate, focusing screen and then the mirror thru the lens. The sensor is behind the mirror.

If your pics shows dust particles, your sensor is dirty. If it isn't thats good. one less problem.

Dust on the vf is 'cosmetic' as it doesnt affect the image. Just 'see already not shiok'. I had my 60D cleaned by canon for about $60 (sensor cleaning + replace focus screen n si indicator plate). So my guess is if the sensor is clean, it should be cheaper. 5Dii parts maybe abit more expensive? not too sure. Give csc a call for the quote.

1) Dust in viewfinder does no appear on image. Lear to live with it. It comes and goes.
2) Mirrors usually don't need any cleaning, at most a few blows with blower. Using lens pen and other mechanical means is only asking for trouble.
3) Sensor cleaning will not affect the above described spots. All three are completely different. Check carefully where exactly the dust is, then use the recommended cleaning methods.
4) For sensor cleaning you can also check the hundreds of DIY threads. There is little need for elaborate tools and expensive fluids, Isopropyle Alcohol from Watson and some lint free tissues will help.