Where to look for cameras and lenses in HK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
Are they usually much cheaper than sg?
I am thinking of getting D90 there.
And any idea how much is the credit card company gonna charge for the exchange rate?
Bring too much cash is troublesome should i decide not to buy.

Last edited:
You need to decide whether the camera warranty is important to you or not. Nikon and Canon provides local warranty only so if you are getting it from HK, be prepare to go back to HK for service should you need to claim warranty. Only lenses and flash units have international warranty which is covered by respective Singapore service centres.

Unless you speak HK Cantonese with no hint of Singaporean accent, you are not going to get the best price anyway.

Unless you speak HK Cantonese with no hint of Singaporean accent, you are not going to get the best price anyway.

tats quite sad to hear. But in any case, where is the address to go?
thks

tats quite sad to hear. But in any case, where is the address to go?
thks
Cut and paste from various Internet source:

Tin Cheung Camera

Location: Shop 5 Friends' House, 6B Carnarvon Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong.
MTR: Tsim Sha Tsui station - exit D2 - over the road next to the 7-eleven.
Internet: http://www.tincheungcamera.com.hk/
Tel :
(852) 2722 1265
Store hours :
Sun: 12:00pm -6:00 pm, Mon-Sat: 11:00am-8:00pm

• Official import plus parallel import (therefore you have the option of HK/China warranty, or discounted without warranty.)
  • Run by a photo enthusiast. As well as the usual digital and 35mm, there is a selection of medium format gear.
  • Some stock kept on-site. Sometimes you might have to wait a few days for selected models.
  • They also run a large-scale internet sale business.
  • Tripods and other accessories upstairs.

Wing Shing Photo Supplies
There are two branches - both located in the busy shopping district of Mong Kok.

• Official import (therefore HK/China Warranty is included)
  • Prices are good enough. Most popular and new models in stock
  • Large sales volume - staff are primarily sales clerks and not photographers so don't ask for their opinion on cameras/features.
Shop Location 1: 55-57 Sai Yeung St., Mong Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong. (Original store)
MTR:
Mong Kok station - exit D3 - 25m ahead over the road.

Shop Location 2: 91-95 Fa Yuen Street, Mong Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong. (New store)
MTR:
Mong Kok station - exit D3 - 2 blocks away from location 1 above on "sneaker street".

Other Camera Stores
Man Shing - 106 Tung Choi St., Mong Kok. same owner as Wing Shing. Smaller store and product selection than Wing Shing,

Citicall, Fortress and Broadway - hundreds of branches all over Hong Kong - large electronics chain stores. Higher prices than Tin Cheung and Wing Shing above and the staff are relatively clueless about the products they are selling. For popular items, sometimes you can get a good price from them.

Photo Scientific - Stanley Street in Central on Hong Kong Island. If you are in Central then worthwhile checking out. However compare prices with Wing Shing and/or Tin Cheung before buying.

Hey ter,

My experience is that you gotta do some homework here and in HK as well. Tsim Sha Tsui and Mongkok are the 2 places to go.

From my own experience, TST is more like SLS. Heard a foreigner arguing with a shop keeper till he was blue in the face there and the shop keeper threatening to call the police.... Gotta be careful and wary of the sellers....

Mongkok is more like Funan..... more proper, but still gotta make your own checks.

Good luck !

hmm, my sister just came back from Hk, apparently the prices were not tt attractive anymore....i have a feeling she went to the wrong stores.....maybe...

nonetheless, i have also seen other people posting similar remarks, that its not tt worth while to buy over there....

by the way, comparing local prices for D90 with the following pricelist....
http://www.dchome.net/viewthread.php?tid=349652

It does not really seem that worth it to get it over there...the most say u save (even if tt's possible) $50.....$50 for warranty that's pretty worth it i think.

i may be wrong, no harm checking :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.