where to find cheap and good Carrot Cake!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the corner stall? i don't think there's that many carrot cake stalls around there. or are you refering to the one around the middle? :dunno: so long nv eat there also.

The corner shop lo...hehe..but the owners very yaya one! Sometimes see their face dulan liao..dun buy from them! :nono:

Bukit Timah Market. Got 2 stalls (they are actually brothers, long story this one) selling the white kind. Large slabs with tons of eggs. $2 only. Good stuff! Featured on that $2 wonderfood show before.

Wah Carrot cake, lor mee, nasi lemak and whatever else gona come next! if this keeps up, I think they need to start a brand new section just specially to cater to food talk liao. Hehehehe.
Actually I dun really mind if they do that; afterall 95%? of members here are singaporeans and this would be our other favorite pastime - Glorious FOOD!!!!!

My next bloc got a stall selling carrot and quite nice one
..but the uncle frying it is super slowwwwwwwwwwww....:cool:

So you letting us know where u live or wat? LOL

for the west zone, it got to be this stall at Bukit Timah Market. "He Zong" is the label. There are 2 other stalls but are pretenders...

Bukit Timah Market. Got 2 stalls (they are actually brothers, long story this one) selling the white kind. Large slabs with tons of eggs. $2 only. Good stuff! Featured on that $2 wonderfood show before.

wooo Denosha, we all like the same thing! ;)

coffee shop in bukit gombak. Along ( opposite ) the mrt tracks, there is this stretch of shops n 2 coffee shops. the 2nd one ( if you coming from the direction of the MRT station itself). Stall open at 2am till lunch time . Ask for the $2 white carrot cake with chilli. You will see the chilli being spread over the carrot cake's surface. If you can take it, ask for lots of chilli, :sweat: :bsmilie: .IMHO Better than the Bukit timah one anytime. That is crap now when the dad retired and 1 of the son took over.

There was a great carrot cake cum satay cum fried kway teow shop at Longhouse hawker centre, Upper Thomson Road. Very good carrot cake!!! :thumbsup:

Then last year it suddenly vanished. Wonder where it moved to. :cry:

for the west zone, it got to be this stall at Bukit Timah Market. "He Zong" is the label. There are 2 other stalls but are pretenders...

合众 is the one at the corner with the Channel U recommendation right? I've personally tried all 3 and I can say that Seng Kee is the best of the lot with 合众 being the worst and most inconsistent. Everytime I go, 合众 has different people frying and it is either too tasteless or salty. :confused:

Seng Kee though is always consistent, crispy to the bite and taste better than the rest.
You can read ieat's review here: http://ieatishootipost.blogspot.com/2006/11/seng-kee-carrot-cake-new-twist-on-old.html

Try it for yourself and decide. :)

合众 is the one at the corner with the Channel U recommendation right? I've personally tried all 3 and I can say that Seng Kee is the best of the lot with 合众 being the worst and most inconsistent. Everytime I go, 合众 has different people frying and it is either too tasteless or salty. :confused:

Seng Kee though is always consistent, crispy to the bite and taste better than the rest.
You can read ieat's review here: http://ieatishootipost.blogspot.com/2006/11/seng-kee-carrot-cake-new-twist-on-old.html

Try it for yourself and decide. :)

i tried one of the other 2 stores before, the cake and the eggs are not firm and packed enough, hence they always fall into smaller pieces when i pick it up with chopsticks. Very irritating. 合众's is very firm.

As for inconsistency, i kinda of agree with you about differnt people behind the wok issue.
As for tasteless... i think if u take the newly fried one, the taste will be a bit bland because the flavour hasnt been absorbed into the carrot cakes. When you take the last few pieces of the batch, it will taste very good! :)

Toa Payoh Market carrot cake :lovegrin:

but always have to wait very long, and the lady boss very fierce. :sweat:

Is it the one at Toa Payoh lor 2? 127 market? This one have been around snice i was a kid err... think is before i was born that time is the lady boss selling now the daughter take over! The queue is long min waiting time is at least 30mins esp on sunday!:sweat:

I tried one at Bugis Hawker opp Fu Lu Shou complex. Always long Q. #01-91. I think Yuan what Zheng Zhong Cai Tou Guo (red signboard).

$2 and huge portion. He fry white and chilli only. So, if you want non chilli and black, u got to wait for the next round as 1 wok he fried is mainly for 4 plate ;) haha... *drooling*

jargo close... along east coast road, the corner kopitiam there also got super shiok one... its one of the nicest i ever had... if u order one boiled egg from the kopitiam n crack in into the carrot cake... lagi more shiok leh.... :lovegrin:

1. Old Airport Road Food Centre - near the famous 'Toa Payoh rojak' stall
2. Bedok North - there are two food centres, one near the market for the 'black' carrot cake, and the other near the interchange for the 'white' one.

And Ang Mo Kio Blk 119 (If I remember correctly.) also another of my fav. :lovegrin:

BIG portions for $1.5 with lotsa eggs (especially if you pack back!). But only available in the evening/night time.
Oh yes!!! That uncle has been there for ages!!
Fantastic black carrot cakes...

Might be block 118... but definitely it's opposite the blk 111 police post.

Status
Not open for further replies.