Where to buy Leicas

Status
Not open for further replies.
attan said:
a bit off tangent to the subject, cos i intend to get an m7 and it will be my first leica. do one put a filter in front of the lens. considering that the optics is excellent, would putting a filter negates it.
thanks for any advise

Whether Leica or not, it is just a camera and the lens is just a lens. Putting on a filter is a matter of preference or for the effects. If you're concerned about affecting the optics(that's if you can detect the difference), then don't put one.

Keng Yong said:
Whether Leica or not, it is still a camera and the lens is still a lens. Putting a filter is a matter of preference or for the effects. If you're concern about affecting the optics(if you can see the difference), then don't put one.

Yes, I agree. But do yourself a favour, buy a good UV filter for your Leica lens! ;)

crapshot said:
anyway, the M6 is the best option for a practical M series camera to buy and use.

so my opinion, not advice, i'm not qualified to advice anyone, is to get the m6 and shoot without the battery!

If that's the case, why spend money on an M6 when you could do the same with a cheaper M4/M4-2/M4-P?

chgoh

chgoh said:
If that's the case, why spend money on an M6 when you could do the same with a cheaper M4/M4-2/M4-P?

chgoh

M6 have TTL flash metering and model beyond do not have.

sabahan said:
M6 have TTL flash metering and model beyond do not have.

Erm.... Only the M6TTL and the M7 have TTL flash metering, M6 classic and MP 2003 and the older Ms do not have TTL flash metering (unless you count the Minolta CLE also). Might be a trivia thing but the M7 and M6TTL shutter speed knobs turns differently from the other Ms.

chgoh

glchua said:
Although HK might be cheaper, consider that a MP or M7 from Cathay comes with a 5 year local warranty. If you intend to keep and use your camera, its worth it. For M lenses, 3 years. Sending to local Leica agent beats sending to Germany, 1 or 2 weeks turnaround versus months.

Beware about touching and feeling....you will want to "marry it" after you do that! And like all marriages, it costs a bomb.

Thanks for the advise. I have "touch and feel" the M7. You are right, I am deciding on the "wedding" date now!! The summicron 35mm f/2 will be the bridesmate. I hope my future "bride" will not nag...

ltma said:
Thanks for the advise. I have "touch and feel" the M7. You are right, I am deciding on the "wedding" date now!! The summicron 35mm f/2 will be the bridesmate. I hope my future "bride" will not nag...
When the "wedding" comes through, let us know, I was that close to getting the M7 yesterday, what a thrill it was handling one, pure joy.

ltma said:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

chgoh said:
chgoh

A mint condition M4 price would be even higher than a M6!

XXX Boy said:
A mint condition M4 price would be even higher than a M6!

And so would an M4-P 70th Anniversary or an M4-2 Gold Oskar Barnack. But we are buying cameras to use right and so would avoid the collectors' items right?

chgoh

chgoh said:
And so would an M4-P 70th Anniversary or an M4-2 Gold Oskar Barnack. But we are buying cameras to use right and so would avoid the collectors' items right?

chgoh

Yeah, you are right man!
But I know one old man that owns a Leica MP black paint and after talking to Ron, he discovered that his MP is just a regular production camera so he traded in with Ron his MP for a M6 classic 0.85 (Leica made very few of them). Less than 1 month later, he exchange back with Ron his MP coz he says that MP have better viewfinder, more well-made than the M6.
Less than one mth later, he again changed his MP with other shop with a M6 stock exchange edition.
So what da ya think of this guy? Yes, he is the guy whom use Leica to take 'finished plate of Char-Kway-Teow' as you may have heard of his big name! :sticktong

Hi

my "marriage" of 2.5 years to my m6ttl was severely tested these 2 days by that black paint beauty of a MP sitting prettily on the shelf at Prime Camera :)

hmm $3700 to get a divorce and a new "wife" :devil:

only the fact it was a 0.72x model stopped me. (i use and prefer the 0.58x model)

u know wat they say.... human nature dictates one will be tempted to stray once in a while :)

someone pls buy up that MP so that i don't commit silly mistakes :p

now you have me tempted. Bloody hell. Its so good to be away from the Peninsula area. Camera shops in london are way too ex for me to even bother. But my mom is visiting soon...argh...MP....

This is really getting serious: Can't eat, can't sleep..... I keep telling myself: Just follow Nike (Just do it!). I even started making space in my dry box and pushing aside my exes. I don't think I can live past this week without having it.

Guys, any last advice ???? M7 black, 0.72 with summicron 35mm. I will used this babe for street/candit photography.

Hell....., this is an expensive hobby, I may have to eat Roti for the next 5 years!!!!!

ltma said:
Guys, any last advice ???? M7 black, 0.72 with summicron 35mm. I will used this babe for street/candit photography.

Why don't you try the kind of photography that you intended with what you have first? Isn't it a little expensive to get a whole load of new stuff to try out something?

If you really want the set, just go ahead and buy it to enjoy without having to justify that it's for street/candid photography; less painful when the first few rolls that come back is not exactly what you have been looking for using the M7. Anyway, street photography is in the style not the equipment; just my 2 cents worth.

chgoh

Red Dawn said:
Hi

my "marriage" of 2.5 years to my m6ttl was severely tested these 2 days by that black paint beauty of a MP sitting prettily on the shelf at Prime Camera :)

hmm $3700 to get a divorce and a new "wife" :devil:

only the fact it was a 0.72x model stopped me. (i use and prefer the 0.58x model)

u know wat they say.... human nature dictates one will be tempted to stray once in a while :)

someone pls buy up that MP so that i don't commit silly mistakes :p

Hmm... The only thing going for the MP that is worth getting is the flare free rangefinder spot, which could be retrofitted in the older Ms by DAG or Sherry Krauter for USD200-250 IIRC. For practical use, the old style rewind knob is actually more a hindrance than a help when compared to the canted rewind crank in the M4, M6 and M7. So all in all, S$1,700 or more (depending on new or used and assuming about S$2,000 for a used M6) is a lot to pay for the flare free rangefinder spot in the MP2003.

chgoh

I been using M6 for the last few years and dun even tempted by all the new Leicas.
Anyway, there is a flaw in the new Leica MP that Leica seems not to iron out the rangefinder gap, look at the following link for more info :-
Leica Rangefinder Gap

XXX Boy said:
I been using M6 for the last few years and dun even tempted by all the new Leicas.
Anyway, there is a flaw in the new Leica MP that Leica seems not to iron out the rangefinder gap, look at the following link for more info :-
Leica Rangefinder Gap

My MP (bought last year) doesn't have a gap. True, a good M6 more than satisfy. But a 0.58 M6 classic is uncommon, thus one of the decision for an MP then. However, with the new Leica Ala Carte, that 0.58 would cost a premium.

glchua said:
True, a good M6 more than satisfy. But a 0.58 M6 classic is uncommon

A 0.58 M6 classic is not uncommon; it's non existent (at least fresh from Leica).
Only the M6TTL came in all three VF mags of 0.58X, 0.72X and 0.85X.

chgoh

chgoh said:
A 0.58 M6 classic is not uncommon; it's non existent (at least fresh from Leica).
Only the M6TTL came in all three VF mags of 0.58X, 0.72X and 0.85X.

chgoh

Oops! Learnt a bit more about Leicas today.

Status
Not open for further replies.