where to buy 50mm lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keltzar

Jul 18, 2002
West
Visit site
this is a rather crazy question, and I'm not sure I could actually afford it...

but where can I find a good, used canon EF 50mm f1.0 L ?

Ebay. Don't think you can find one locally second hand.

But seriously.... why f/1.0?

The 50mm F/1.4 is supposed to be a better lens. Faster AF and sharper. Of course it's 1 stop slower and the bokeh is said to be not as good. For the price of the 50mm F/1.0, you could buy a 50mm F/1.4, a 10D body, a CF card, AND a holiday to Malaysia to use the whole thing!

If you want absolutely the fastest aperture possible, maybe you should consider the 85mm F/1.2. I have handled one before and it is beautiful. It is at least superior to the 85mm F/1.8, so nobody is going to ask you why you got it.

Amfibius said:
The 50mm F/1.4 is supposed to be a better lens. Faster AF and sharper. Of course it's 1 stop slower and the bokeh is said to be not as good. For the price of the 50mm F/1.0, you could buy a 50mm F/1.4, a 10D body, a CF card, AND a holiday to Malaysia to use the whole thing!

If you want absolutely the fastest aperture possible, maybe you should consider the 85mm F/1.2. I have handled one before and it is beautiful. It is at least superior to the 85mm F/1.8, so nobody is going to ask you why you got it.

thanks both. I was asking because about a year back TCW had one for sale.
I've recently realised that they can be had used for as little as US$1500 used.

I thought an f1.0 would be nice for razor-thin DOF and low-light shooting. I do currently have a 50mm f1.2 for another system which I like.
85/1.2 ...? Ah... maybe when full-frame DSLRs become more affordable. With the 1.6x multiplier on a 10D ... the 50/1.0 would be a nice 50mm for film,
and a decent 80mm f1.0 for DSLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.