Where is the 'meter' located?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shas3n

Jun 4, 2003
NUS
www.pbase.com
Going by my usual practice for anything i buy, i tried to study the anotomy of my Nikon SLR. Was just wondering where is the 'light meter' located?
Is it in the lens itself? or is it in the body? If it is in the body it should be in the optical path.. then howcome i cant see anything other than a mirro and the bottom of the prism in the camera body? I assume the 'meter' must have a small array of photocells or a primitive CMOS/CCD. Any idea where to see it?

Also, i see that there is a small mirror between the main mirror and the shutter. this mirror snaps to the main mirror when it is turned. What is this mirror for?

Any inputs greatly appreciated.

[Disclamer.. i DID a google search but could not find anything.. blame my searching skills :cry: ]

It's either within the prism (at the top of the camera) or near where that 2nd mirror is. In the latter, the 2nd mirror will reflect light to a sensor somewhere. At the part where the 2nd mirror is, the main mirror is semi-transparent.

Regards
CK

Thanks a lot CK... you solved both my doubts in single go.... one stone and two birds (or something like that).
So I assume the focusing also happens at the same place ?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.