Where do u usually get ur photography gear from?

Where do u usually get ur photography gear from?

Results are only viewable after voting.

i would love to go bk HK (my wife's birthplace) more often :)
She like shopping over there and so doooooooooooo i!!! :lovegrin:

wow, I have irregualr shopping place, in general they are OP, SLRR, CP, J3:16, Edison and CS...

Still preferred Edison.

Nice. Does the red bin means red ring only Canon lenses, and the yellow bin meaning gold ring only Nikon lenses ? :bsmilie:

back to the main topic. Increasingly, second hand market :bsmilie: though i hardly make purchases on the whole nowadays anyways.

when i was a newbie i used to love John 3:16 until a sentinel incident that really put me off.

anyhow ... night86mare, can share with me ur dustbin? u only need pentax rite.. the N/C i wan. .

ryan

Excuse me. These are recycle bins. If you got rubbish, please throw into normal rubbish bins. The recycle bins are meant for (i) Canon red ring (ii) Nikon gold ring, etc. only.

Kit lens and cheap stuff... please put into the usual "plastic only" rubbish chute.

Back to topic, I still think OP is the best from my POV. The guys in the shop are entu with photography stuff and damn friendly with me until I don't even feel that they are the shop staff at all (They even study about fixing the calabration of a new spilt focus screen with me when I bring it down to ask for guidance). They also display a more formal and professional sales approach to foreigner (they are also helpful to foreigner). If I visit sim lim, I would pay the shop a visit to chat about camera stuff under the sun on a not so busy day or get something there. If there is something I don't like about it, it will be that the shop is a bit cramp.

Last edited:
i would go to ms color more often if i stayed closer to them. value for money - cheap and decent service.

I've had good experiences at Cathay, Ruby and Camera Workshop.

But for sheer pricing, you can't beat Adorama.

Thanks, Paul!!

(...... and I hope for customer service, either ;))

Personally, John is too crowded... Alan Photo in Simlim has the best price, SLRR is also good! Cathay Photo Marina, very friendly people but Alan Photo and SLRR still has better price. My only complain is Orient Photo. Darn man, the guy i was talking too cant speak proper english! So if im not a mandarin speakin dude he wont serve me properly... he served the dude next to me answering everything and even bothered to pull out some lenses. For me notihing...i even told him this.. "i went here coz people say its good here", his reply was... "no not good".... (did he understand what i said or he really meant they s*ck?!?!" I dunno bros. I wont be going back to OP. Anyways... Alan Photo Simlim, SLRR and Cathay Photo Marina. Best places to shop!

I get my gears..... where the price is right :bsmilie:

lol true, where the price is right! (That's what I did!)

But for customer service, I have to say I'm impressed with OP and CP... For OP, despite me being a first timer and having hiccupish Chinese, the fella still went all out to check prices and stock for me even without my commitment to buy. For CP, no pressure to buy despite being nice enough to open all the tripods in front of me (the guilt for the salesman being so nice is good enough pressure =\)

Maybe I was just lucky both times, cause salespeople are hit miss. At the end of the day, wherever the price is right!

Good Customer Service is great.... but not when I'm paying 'EXTRA' for it.... :sweat:

Usually I go with some combination of convenience, customer service and price. For me, going across town just to save 10 bucks on say a 1000 item is not worth the time.

Personally, John is too crowded... Alan Photo in Simlim has the best price, SLRR is also good! Cathay Photo Marina, very friendly people but Alan Photo and SLRR still has better price. My only complain is Orient Photo. Darn man, the guy i was talking too cant speak proper english! So if im not a mandarin speakin dude he wont serve me properly... he served the dude next to me answering everything and even bothered to pull out some lenses. For me notihing...i even told him this.. "i went here coz people say its good here", his reply was... "no not good".... (did he understand what i said or he really meant they s*ck?!?!" I dunno bros. I wont be going back to OP. Anyways... Alan Photo Simlim, SLRR and Cathay Photo Marina. Best places to shop!

haha.. think OP had a new staff. Saw her last week, a Filipino girl or something, definitely not chinese! so you can try your luck again ;p

Alan Photo! Enable to negotiate price and goes well while buying your photography gears at peace! :D

I get my gears..... where the price is right :bsmilie:

Yup that's my case too ;)
1st i went to AP, then MS twice. Then CP Marina twice, then HK for lenses.... I like TK and Parisilk for their sometimes lower price.

I get my lenses from whoever that has a sharp copy, even if the price quoted is a little higher. I get accessories from whoever is cheapest.

TK is by no means the cheapest but I like them for their straighforwardness.
They give you the same price on the phone and in the shop. No bargaining
required. (something like Bata price). And their sales staff are friendly and
no long que.

MS Color in ANG MO Kio is also a good place to buy photographic stuff.

Last but not least Clubsnap and ebay.
Small items like filters, flashes, etc.. from Hong Kong ebay sites are quite
reliable, but delivery times can be quite long - between two to three
weeks.

TK is by no means the cheapest but I like them for their straighforwardness.
They give you the same price on the phone and in the shop. No bargaining
required. (something like Bata price). And their sales staff are friendly and
no long que.

Same thoughts about TK too. :D

For me, i usuallly want to get the best value for my money.
Usually do some homework before proceeding to the shops.TK, MS and CP are some of my usual choices.

Cheers:)