Where do u clean ur sensors for leica rangefinders

fishfish1977

Nov 22, 2011
I have dust specs on my m9 pics which is visible when I shoot at high apertures. Where can I get professional cleaning for it? Any one knows the cost for leica Singapore sensor cleaning? Are there alternatives other than leica Singapore but yet safe?

Thank you in advance.

Usually I just try with blower first, gets most of the dust out 99% of the time

Tried with blower a couple of times but the two dust spots are still there. Stubborn spots... Any one did it before?

Tried with blower a couple of times but the two dust spots are still there. Stubborn spots... Any one did it before?

Maybe the coating on the sensor degraded. ...

suggest you bring it to Leica Singapore to check your persistent 'dust spots' unless you know how to verify that they are indeed dust spots and not something else before attempting a more serious form of cleaning. good luck.

suggest you bring it to Leica Singapore to check your persistent 'dust spots' unless you know how to verify that they are indeed dust spots and not something else before attempting a more serious form of cleaning. good luck.

You will also pay $$$$ if your camera is out of warranty, as well as have to wait a long time! I had to wait 4 weeks for my camera to get the vertical adjustment fixed (they did a very good job though). I did it myself later on in 5 mins!

Isn't sensor cleaning on the spot at leica Singapore? Surely it wouldn't take weeks for just cleaning???

on the spot sensor checking should be free at Leica Singapore, if you are lucky, you might even get a free clean. :)

You will also pay $$$$ if your camera is out of warranty, as well as have to wait a long time! I had to wait 4 weeks for my camera to get the vertical adjustment fixed (they did a very good job though). I did it myself later on in 5 mins!

I think it is fair to be charged for out of warranty work. If it has to go to Germany it could take weeks but it is done with warranty. I was told that most sensor damage are usually caused by dusts/dirt being blown into the shutter/sensor mechanism, scratches to the sensor or excess cleaning fluid seeping under the sensor mask. One takes the risk when DIY. It can be DIYed but with care & understanding.

Change lens selectively in clean environment and a dust blower should suffice for most cases.

pretty sure camera sensor cleaning is free of charge at leica sg.. my out of warrantied m9 got cleaned few months ago foc. but if there are stubborn stains they might advise you to change your sensor, which is not exactly needed sometimes..

RF alignment and any other jobs will probably require charges.

pretty sure camera sensor cleaning is free of charge at leica sg.. my out of warrantied m9 got cleaned few months ago foc. but if there are stubborn stains they might advise you to change your sensor, which is not exactly needed sometimes..

RF alignment and any other jobs will probably require charges.

Stubborn stains might be due to sensor degradation. Mine had that problem.

Stubborn stains might be due to sensor degradation. Mine had that problem.

How did you get rid of stubborn dust?
Not sure about any issue even after sensor replacement...

Don't try getting rid of stubborn dust on your own. You may end up scratching the sensor.

Sent mine to Leica servicing centre for cleaning previously. Depending on their daily schedule, I get to have it back sometimes after 1hr waiting time.

M9 sensor is famous for dust proned. As long as it is not obvious in your final picture, don't worry too much. Because after getting Leica to clean in, I can see 1-2 dust the next day.

My M9P was sent to Germany for sensor changed too for dust patch. Lucky was during warranty period, so it is free (or it will cost an arm or a leg). Only issue is waiting time.

How did you get rid of stubborn dust?
Not sure about any issue even after sensor replacement...

Don't try getting rid of stubborn dust on your own. You may end up scratching the sensor.

Sent mine to Leica servicing centre for cleaning previously. Depending on their daily schedule, I get to have it back sometimes after 1hr waiting time.

M9 sensor is famous for dust proned. As long as it is not obvious in your final picture, don't worry too much. Because after getting Leica to clean in, I can see 1-2 dust the next day.

My M9P was sent to Germany for sensor changed too for dust patch. Lucky was during warranty period, so it is free (or it will cost an arm or a leg). Only issue is waiting time.

Well, mine had its sensor changed for free as well. It took them 3 months though. By then, I went off to grab a DSLR so that I had something to shoot in the meantime.