where can i buy this auto-focus test kit

Ricardo Ong

Jan 31, 2011
Hi guys,

I am thinking of getting Sigma lens, both the 17-70mm F2.8-D DC Macro and the 85mm F1.4, but i am worried with getting "faulty lens" - due to some bad reviews on the auto focus part...

i saw this one another website, some sort of Auto focus kit...just wondering if there are for sale in Singapore and how much?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39400215@N04/5432694311/

do you think i can i bring this kit to shops like Alan (sim lim), cathay (Peinisular) and try the lens before buying?

other than this auto-focus kit - any other kit / focus test that you can recommend

i really dun wana buy a lemon len

Cheers!

just make your own... google for "focus test chart"

Cathay Photo - S$90+

The sales people at Alan are nice. I think they don't mind you bring this auto-focus test kit there to test the lens before you purchase. You can see the crowd there on weekend.

The shop I am talking about is at Funan.

thanks, $90 is way too $ for me...rather use that to buy a camera bag / other small things

any good auto test website to recommend to print this test out ?

what are the odds of you getting 2 "faulty lens" in a row? ie when u test the lens, if not good, can ask to test another one, ie if 2 fail how?
wont be so :kelong one rite? if u go to "reputable shops" ie ALAN, Cathay" ...

more or less if first one fail, u can show the owner right? not my fault right...i am a sincere buyer...

Last edited:
The sales people at Alan are nice.

:sweat: I'm sue other people have a different opinion about Alan Photo, regardless whether Sim Lim or Funan. And if the shop is crowded the last thing they will tolerate is someone blocking half the table for some focus testing .. and TS returning 3 copies, claiming that all have focus errors :bsmilie: Perfect advertising :thumbsup: But, since the sales people are nice .. :lovegrin:

you mean you need a kit to see if the lens is sharp?

just shoot some printed text and zoom in to see.
make sure you eliminate the camera shake first

The sales people at Alan are nice. I think they don't mind you bring this auto-focus test kit there to test the lens before you purchase. You can see the crowd there on weekend.

bro i seriously beg to differ. once i went to alan photo to get a screen protector for my 5d2 and and sway sway served by a specky uncle.

me: hi do you have screen protector for the 5dmk2?
uncle: how many inch screen?
me: i suppose 4?
uncle took out the 4" screen protector
me: can i see the size / cutting?
uncle: still need to see meh? you said 4" right?
me: but i wanna see the coverage on the lcd.
uncle buay song and took out the screen protector from the pack and violently tore the protector off the cardboard and pass to me. since it is the size i wanted, i i just pay for it. but after thati felt a bit regret. should have gone to another shop with better customer service.

btw the shop i am refering to is also at funan

The shop I am talking about is at Funan.

They ought to treat you nice coz they quoted $110 for an item you can find at TK for $50. This is a $60 worth of good service. :bsmilie:

Hi guys, thanks for your comments, just wondering in this test http://focustestchart.com/chart.html#DreadedDebate ...
how about do i acheive the 45 degree position? (sorry, i am a newbie)
ie i can just ask the uncle at ALAN / Cathay / TK Photo, i need a tripod stand and test it?
will kena scolding? or can they refuse?

so can i also conclude....basically, what the test is trying to do is to achieve, "sharpest at the middle, the less sharp but at equal blurrest as the distance increase....

bro i seriously beg to differ. once i went to alan photo to get a screen protector for my 5d2 and and sway sway served by a specky uncle.

me: hi do you have screen protector for the 5dmk2?
uncle: how many inch screen?
me: i suppose 4?
uncle took out the 4" screen protector
me: can i see the size / cutting?
uncle: still need to see meh? you said 4" right?
me: but i wanna see the coverage on the lcd.
uncle buay song and took out the screen protector from the pack and violently tore the protector off the cardboard and pass to me. since it is the size i wanted, i i just pay for it. but after thati felt a bit regret. should have gone to another shop with better customer service.

btw the shop i am refering to is also at funan

Alan photos are well known for good pricing, but not really good customer service. The Funan branch fare better imho.

Hi guys, thanks for your comments, just wondering in this test http://focustestchart.com/chart.html#DreadedDebate ...
how about do i acheive the 45 degree position? (sorry, i am a newbie)
ie i can just ask the uncle at ALAN / Cathay / TK Photo, i need a tripod stand and test it?
will kena scolding? or can they refuse?

so can i also conclude....basically, what the test is trying to do is to achieve, "sharpest at the middle, the less sharp but at equal blurrest as the distance increase....
Seriously, I suggest you go and buy, skip the test. Nobody will entertain you and teach you how to do the focus test in a shop where you ask the staff to provide half the equipment for you (and still need to tell you the basics). Why would they do this? If they see you tinkering around with equipment chances are good that your results are crap and you will not buy. More serious: bystander will watch you and based on your 'findings' they might not buy either. Would you (being a shop owner) accept such things?
All lenses come with warranty and the address of Sigma service center can be found here in the forum. Within warranty period they will repair / adjust whatever is required.
Achieving a 45 degree angle is nothing about photography, it's a topic of Maths not later than Primary 4. Hint: Triangle and right angle.