When you all put your camera and lens in your camera bag,

I think he meant Auto Focus lol. Concern of the camera constantly trying to get focus when left on in the bag may do wear and tear to the lens gear . Cheers.

I think he meant Auto Focus lol. Concern of the camera constantly trying to get focus when left on in the bag may do wear and tear to the lens gear . Cheers.

But why will the lens continue to autofocus while in the bag?

But why will the lens continue to autofocus while in the bag?

perhaps TS is thinking that the focusing ring will have friction with the padding and turn on its own.

Huh? So making manual focus and auto focus when kept in my carrying bag will affect my lens? Yes no? :eek:

have some manners and not hijack this thread with your own personal question. btw you can find your answers on the first page if you read carefully

perhaps TS is thinking that the focusing ring will have friction with the padding and turn on its own.

Haha this is one of the great mysteries of CS, everyone is trying to guess what the TS is thinking :bsmilie:

Haha this is one of the great mysteries of CS, everyone is trying to guess what the TS is thinking :bsmilie:

it's still unsolved after many years. the TS will disappear, never to be heard from for months. until he/she performs a miracle and revives the Lazarus

it's still unsolved after many years. the TS will disappear, never to be heard from for months. until he/she performs a miracle and revives the Lazarus

Cannot leh... I need to buy a lens or camera with 'Auto Zoom' function... :bsmilie:

He's from the future, the 5dmX will have a feature called auto zoom whereby the shot is instantly framed and tightened by the camera itself.

Sorry for the confusion. Refer to auto focus. I am confused whether I should set it to AF or MF when leave the camera with lens attached in the backpack.
Cause like I have mentioned, if set to AF, the zooming mechanism is some how "locked"/secured, will this affect the zooming ring/motor/gear in the lens.
If set to MF, the lens can zoom in/out freely due to friction.

Sorry for the confusion. Refer to auto focus. I am confused whether I should set it to AF or MF when leave the camera with lens attached in the backpack.
Cause like I have mentioned, if set to AF, the zooming mechanism is some how "locked"/secured, will this affect the zooming ring/motor/gear in the lens.

Not sure how you have this problem, all my lens... I never set to MF and leave it at AF when kept in my bag... and I am not exactly too gentle too... and 1 year down the road, none of my lens was damaged... although my Siggy 17-70mm had very bad lens creep issue (but I would believe that is not because of the way I handle it, but more like a general issue for that particular lens) and a rubber solve all my problem with that lens.

There are 2 "rings" on your lens:
zoom ring, that changes your focal length, and
focus ring, that changes your focal plane at any given focal length

It is perfectly fine if your lens zooms in your bag. It does not damage the lens unless you abuse your camera bag.

Focus ring however, depends on your AF motor. Are your lenses equiped with USM/SWM/HSM?

If the issue is due to the lens zooming, this would be the issue. But based on TS description, it seems to be an issue with the lens extending due to the focusing mechanism? Some lens extend/retract the lens barrel while focusing, unless there is a new auto-zoom feature... :confused:

From what I understand, of course I may be wrong, when you engage AF, then turn off the camera, the motor will lock in place, effectively holding the lens in a fixed 'focus'. Unless you apply pressure to force either the focus ring to turn or depress the lens itself, there should be no issues. Based on your description, the camera should be placed with the lens facing down? If that is the case, there should not be much pressure on the lens, and should be fine to store with AF on, to prevent your lens from extending.

Bro, thanks. Exactly what I meant. I am asking because my bag is quite packed and I attached lens hood to the lens together with camera. So when I slot in or pull out the camera, if I set to MF I am worry that the friction will cause the lens to malfunction.

Since I don't believe that any Super Zoom PnS camera having a AF or MF switch like DSLR's lenses have (correct me if I'm wrong)... then likely we are talking about DSLR lens... so lets ignore the 'Auto Zoom' part... whatever that is...

Is the TS worry that his lens motor ring (which control focusing), is being damage if he don't 'disengage' the ring when during transport and the Lens Creeped during that time ?? Something like being told that when you use a USM lens... its ok to even adjust the focusing ring when the camera's shutter button is half press. But if you are using a non USM lens... doing so will damage the motor ring... :think:

Well TS, no one here could help you if we can't understand the question or problem...

I am quite sure TS is asking about this - whether to leave lens in AF or MF.

I am quite familiar with this issue not because I face it when placing it in the bag, more of forgetting to change focus mode to MF and try to manually focus. I'm sure we all have experienced it now and then, especially for those using strong ND filters like the ND110 or ND106 where the focus must be set manually since AF would not work.

Think TS is just confused about what is "zoom", some lenses can extend quite a bit when focusing... So he may have simply taken that longer lens (literally) = "zoomed".

Yes, when lens is left in AF mode AND mounted, then twisting the focus ring is not good for the lens. So if TS is very worried about this, then you should set it to MF. It's not that hard right, just one switch.

Frankly speaking, I doubt it's a major issue or one that would happen much. Won't worry too mcuh about it.

I guess the TS may be concerned about a problem that I sometimes ask myself.

I have a rather small Lowepro Toploader bag for my camera. I can fit my 5DM2 attached with 50mm 1.4 and an extra 100mm Macro just nicely into that bag with the body+lens resting on my unmounted lens (of course not the entire weight of the camera is resting on the unmounted lens, but I think some amount weight do rest on it). As 50mm 1.4 extends its barrel to focus, I often wonder whether I'll spoil the focus mechanism for my 50mm 1.4 but never really bothered to gave too much of a thought about it. So far, my 50 is working fine. I think TS is wondering about the same thing or at least something similar.

Thanks bro, I am referring to when I place a camera with a zoom lens attached in a padded bag, if the lens is set to :
AF- Lens can zoom in out freely (by the friction cause by the padding), the lens can extend/ collapse easily or
MF- Lens can't zoom in out freely , however, do not know whether the impact will cause the lens to malfunction over the time.

What is the correct way if we want to keep camera with lens attached in bag? I know that it's best to switch IS/ VR off. What about AF/MF?

What is the correct way if we want to keep camera with lens attached in bag? I know that it's best to switch IS/ VR off. What about AF/MF?

Off the camera and place the camera + lens into bag... kept IS and AF 'ON', has work without problem for me since I started using DSLR in mid 2007... non of my Zoom, Prime lenses or camera had ever been damage. :think:

I honestly don't see any issue in turning the focus ring even if the button is set to "AF" mode. The only time it will be damaged is when u half shutter on your camera and while the lens is trying to autofocus, and u manually turn the focus ring with ur hand at the same time.. Then i think that will damage it..

007 said:

Where on earrh did you get the idea of IS/VR off.

you are worrying over nothing. As someone here has put it, your camera is not made of tofu.

Cameras have seen frontline battles, deserts, Antarctica, everest, the amazon.

Just stick it into the bag, it's padded. Doesn't even matter if you switched it off, it'll shut itself off.

007 said:
Bro, thanks. Exactly what I meant. I am asking because my bag is quite packed and I attached lens hood to the lens together with camera. So when I slot in or pull out the camera, if I set to MF I am worry that the friction will cause the lens to malfunction.

Thanks bro, I am referring to when I place a camera with a zoom lens attached in a padded bag, if the lens is set to :
AF- Lens can zoom in out freely (by the friction cause by the padding), the lens can extend/ collapse easily or
MF- Lens can't zoom in out freely , however, do not know whether the impact will cause the lens to malfunction over the time.

U are wasting time talking all these crap.....

I suggest u don't go into photography. Maybe u take up ballet dancing......

@TS everyone already said that your camera'll be fine. Why are you still bringing up your old worries? If you're that worried your camera and lens will die, then you might as well not even take your camera out with you. Leave it at home and shoot only with your mobile phone camera