When to use lens hood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hackie

Jan 18, 2002
Visit site
i'm have a 70-300mm lens which comes with a len hood. but i have no idea when to use the hood??!!!! someone help!

Use it ALL the time. It doesn't hurt, and it might do a world of good in some situations. Helps to eliminate contrast loss due to flare, helps to eliminate visible internal lens reflections (also known as flare confusingly enough), helps protect the front of the lens from bumps. But don't bother trying to put it on when you need it and not otherwise. Just use it all the time. That's not a curt example, that's good advice.

even in fairly or low light condition?

Yes, like I said it doesn't hurt. Weighs next to nothing, most hoods can also be reverse mounted on the lens taking up little additional space. At the last it will help protect your lens from knocks. Doesn't guarantee to keep it safe, but it could save your lens in an accident.

Originally posted by Jed
At the last it will help protect your lens from knocks. Doesn't guarantee to keep it safe, but it could save your lens in an accident.

I'm sure Simon can testify to that. *G*

Yar, don't be like this guy:

Shadus.jpg

:D

Originally posted by YSLee
Yar, don't be like this guy:

Shadus.jpg

:D

eehhhh...... in fact i was like tat most of the time at JBP yesterday cos there's overcast and i tot using the hood wld underexpose.... till i saw this lady photographer using a huge L lens with a big hood, and many other old birds with 'elongated' lens using hoods... so i tot shld be ok to use lah.. keke.. :p

Originally posted by Jed
Use it ALL the time. It doesn't hurt, and it might do a world of good in some situations. Helps to eliminate contrast loss due to flare, helps to eliminate visible internal lens reflections (also known as flare confusingly enough), helps protect the front of the lens from bumps. But don't bother trying to put it on when you need it and not otherwise. Just use it all the time. That's not a curt example, that's good advice.
true, but you should not put on a lens hood when using a "built-in flash". Shadow will cast on your image/photo if you do so.

Originally posted by ninelives
true, but you should not put on a lens hood when using a "built-in flash". Shadow will cast on your image/photo if you do so.

ohh ok.. i've no $$$ for speedlite leh... sigh....
:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.