When do we use a lens hood?

Status
Not open for further replies.
woah thx guys for all the answers. =D

and a hood also makes u and ur camera looks cooler:cool:

ouh! im also using a D60...erm...
wat kind of hood is compatible with a D60?
and can a hood be fixed on a filter??:dunno:

and a hood also makes u and ur camera looks cooler:cool:

ouh! im also using a D60...erm...
wat kind of hood is compatible with a D60?
and can a hood be fixed on a filter??:dunno:

dude..no hood is compatible with ur cam...it is compatible with your lens.

and the filter does not go onto the hood

the filter goes on the lens, then the hood goes on to protect the lens element and filter element.

A hood can in fact always improve contrast. You can do a simple experiment: form an "o"-shape with your index finger and thumband the rest of your three fingers following the index finger's curl (like a telescope shape). Look through the "o" and without - you'll realise that contrast is better when you look through your hand-telescope.

dude..no hood is compatible with ur cam...it is compatible with your lens.

and the filter does not go onto the hood

the filter goes on the lens, then the hood goes on to protect the lens element and filter element.

ok lemme rephrase
wat hood is compatible with a nikon 18-55mm,52mm kit lens??
n i noe the filter goes on the lens,wat i mean is,AFTER i attach the filter TO the lens,cn i attach the HOOD to the FILTER??

ok lemme rephrase
n i noe the filter goes on the lens,wat i mean is,AFTER i attach the filter TO the lens,cn i attach the HOOD to the FILTER??

I'm not a nikon user, but a quick check on the internet will tell us its the HB-45 hood.

And to your 2nd question, yes, hood can go on even when filter is on.

ok lemme rephrase

if you look at your lens...u should be able to see that there are some screw threads at the font. With the screw threads, u should be able to screw the hood attachment on. If not, some hoods are clip ons. Eg, the canon 85 1.2L II.

as it is, u do not attach the hood to the filter. the hood is attached to the front element of the lens which will cover the filter and lens element. Even when you attach the lens hood, you are still able to remove the filter without removing the lens hood. As for the compatibility, u looking for 3rd party or OEM?

Most lens hoods are mounted on the lens using bayonet technique. You put it on, twist 90 degrees and that's it. The hoods sits on the outside rim of the lens; you still can screw in any filter you need without removing the hood (although it might be tricky in some cases).
So far the standard. There are a few lens hoods that are screwed on the filter thread. Hoya has collapsible rubber hoods that fit on the filter thread. In such a case any adding or removing of filter requires unscrewing the hood.

if you look at your lens...u should be able to see that there are some screw threads at the font. With the screw threads, u should be able to screw the hood attachment on. If not, some hoods are clip ons. Eg, the canon 85 1.2L II.

as it is, u do not attach the hood to the filter. the hood is attached to the front element of the lens which will cover the filter and lens element. Even when you attach the lens hood, you are still able to remove the filter without removing the lens hood. As for the compatibility, u looking for 3rd party or OEM?

ouh...thx guys! really helped alot!!
ouhk...erm...bt i prefer the petal type rather then the rounded one,looks more cooler..lol
if i buy 3rd party oso nt much risk rite..hmm..bt which u recommend n thats cheaper??

ouhk...erm...bt i prefer the petal type rather then the rounded one,looks more cooler..lol
if i buy 3rd party oso nt much risk rite..hmm..bt which u recommend n thats cheaper??

not much risk. don have to worry too much.

just make sure can fit that is all.

not much risk. don have to worry too much.

just make sure can fit that is all.

ok so...so long as it is 52mm then it SURE cn fit issit??
cos i found this site on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/52mm-Universal-Collapsible-Rubber-Tele-Wide-Lens-Hood_W0QQitemZ370104181842QQihZ024QQcategoryZ78999QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/52mm-Flower-...hZ024QQcategoryZ78999QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

of cos i prefer the petal one la
wat do u tink??

Last edited:
External aesthetics of a hood aside, incompatible third party or "universal" ones might cause some vignetting at the wide end. So you better check if there are feedbacks from other users before you get over excited because of the superficial "coolness factor" .

probably need to check whether the front element rotates or not during focusing. If it does, then it is better to get the round hood.

If you fix a petal hood on a lens with rotating front element then.. err.. well, you might be in for a shock.

Not sure about the nikon.. but for Canon the kit lens 18-55 have a rotating front element.

dude...your lens should have come with a hood already ba. Why buy another? 18-55 has a rotating front element so petal hoods won't work.
aww man.....hmm...ok guys...thx alot for the tips...

i use em mostly on sunny days but they always help stop little bits of stray light from causing flaring i suppose... i just keep mine on all the time if i'm not using it just chuck it in the bag haha

Considering that the front element of your lens rotates, you'll actually look very very un-cool and amateurish using a petal hood.

Please please please use your camera more.

okay dude...let me state first I am a canon user and not a nikon user. but what I saw on lens review, the front element rotates. In that sense, I want to ask one question: why do you need a lens hood in the first place, and of all things, a petal one?

Status
Not open for further replies.