What's your favourite lens?

What's your favourite lens?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are many lenses for different occasions. I like shooting with an 85 or 100mm lens as my standard lens. At other times, it's a 35mm or a 24mm lens. If I'm going on a holiday, it's a 28-105 zoom. I like the 200/2.8 for portraits.

So far, I still like my 50mm f/1.8... Light in weight, fast, and convenient... ;)

----------------------------
This is my latest and only equipment
- Canon Prima Super 90 Wide Compact Camera

As for me, i am using a pretty heavy lens;
tele-zoom 80-200mm f2.8

Still very new in photo-shooting yet enjoy taking portrait with this lens, some shots: not bad, will show you all when i have the courageous to display them among the pro ;)

we have 50mm, ya, very light, will try to use it, still learning..lah

I started from the 200/f2.8 (actually 320mm/f2.8) so in this sense my first favorite was a 300/f2.8 but I could not afford a real 300/f2.8.:p Lately I did more event and portrait shoots, and I found 20/f1.8 has been put into more and more uses. Just a few weeks ago also found 105/f2.8 macro had been increasingly used like pple mentioned above (macro, portrait etc). Now I wish to have two digital bodies so no need to change lens so often. That's why eventually I might keep D60 after a proposed upgrade in the next year and get a 16-35/f2.8 something. According to the situation, will mount either 16-35/70-200 for event, 105/70-200 for portraiture, or 16-35/105 for wedding. It's quite hard to select only one lens as favorite one coz in any shoot I want to diversify the perspectives.

Originally posted by erwinx
the lens i use most often is not my favourite lens... :)
oh same here... i use my 24-85 about 80% of the time, but my fave's still my 70-200 tele-zoom.

Actually, is the image quality of prime telephoto lens better than a tele zoom?

Originally posted by PaulSeow
Definately my AFS 28-70 love how fast and silent it is! ;)
I seconded that.
Love it, once U experience with it. :D

EF 70-200 f2.8L, love both IS and none IS version.
Though I feel non-IS version a bit sharper.

Favorite lens is Nikon 85mm f1.8 Non D.

I think I will use it for a long long time.. unless I can get a D version mint. :D

I am madly in love with the Nikkor AFS 17-35mm f/2.8.(though i don't own it YET). Borrowed it from a colleague for a week and after that did not want to return it. :D And it's super sharp even when shot wide open. :thumbsup:

I am madly in love with the Nikkor AFS 17-35mm f/2.8.(though i don't own it YET).

Currently my fav lens too. Got it recently and cant seem to get it off my camera!

Nitrotech,

What body were you using it on? I've got a 18-35 AF D and i was wondering if it would really improve on what i have already as i'm using a d100. Not sure if the cropping factor would negate the better optics(?)

I have both the 28-70 and the 80-200 in AFS which is easier to justify due to the longer focal range.

I'm just thinking out loud on how much an AFS motor would improve a wide angle lens.

Thanks for your thoughts. Anyone else care to jump in and comment on these two lenses?

wow.. so many pros here and expensive lens=)
me? poor simple student. fav...24-85 canon usm.. versatile and fast...good range also.
sold it once with my old body and bought back again!!=)

Nitrotech,

What body were you using it on? I've got a 18-35 AF D and i was wondering if it would really improve on what i have already as i'm using a d100. Not sure if the cropping factor would negate the better optics(?)

I have both the 28-70 and the 80-200 in AFS which is easier to justify due to the longer focal range.

I'm just thinking out loud on how much an AFS motor would improve a wide angle lens.

Thanks for your thoughts. Anyone else care to jump in and comment on these two lenses?

I don't actually own it but it was borrowed. I used it on my F80. I don't know whether it will be an overkill to buy that lens for the F80.

As for your qn abt the cropping factor, am afraid i can't help you there. :( Cos i have not used it on a DSLR before.

Maybe you could PM Ian and he may be able to help you out on that. :)

Nitrotech,

The AF on 18-35 and 17-35 f2.8 AF speed is not different alot, due to nature of wide angle short throw focusing (0.2-1m). I had 18-35 before and I am using AFS 17-35 f2.8 now, the benefits are better distortion control and 1 stop faster at contant f2.8.
The big improvement I feel is when I am changing from AFD 80-200 to AFS 70-200VR, the AF is faster and more responsive on tracking moving subject.
BTW, I am using these lenses on my D100 and F80.

Originally posted by Knighthunter
The big improvement I feel is when I am changing from AFD 80-200 to AFS 70-200VR, the AF is faster and more responsive on tracking moving subject.

The AFS VR is twice the price of the AFD. Is the difference so great to justify the cost? I've been trying to justify this myself...as the optics is as good, AF is about 80% as fast. Guess it is down to what your predominant subject is....? Maybe you can convince me otherwise?:confused:

Originally posted by YellowTang
The AFS VR is twice the price of the AFD. Is the difference so great to justify the cost? I've been trying to justify this myself...as the optics is as good, AF is about 80% as fast. Guess it is down to what your predominant subject is....? Maybe you can convince me otherwise?:confused:

That's personal call, depend on your need and budget also.
The AF speed not increase by that great, I just feel more responsive AF on moving subject tracking. For me I just want lighter weight on my bag, I want VR and f2.8. Last time I have to carry two lenses 80-200 f2.8 and 80-400VR.

Originally posted by erwinx
A 105mm macro can do macro, can do portraits, can do street photography, can photograph jewel in concert, easy to handhold (less bulky than a 28-70 f2.8) at 1/30 with not much problem
Personal perference, I'll rather use a 105mm focal length from my 80-200 f2.8 lens than a 105mm marco lens for portraits assignments. The former can create nicer bokeh as it has 9 blades.

Favorite lens is my Nikon 80-200 f2.8 lens.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.