whats the diff DX & normal lenses on digital SLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iZ1d

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site
hey ya...
i'm a newbie here thinkin of gettin an s2pro or D70 real soon...
still decidin'
btw i wanna ask if any1 knows wat happens if i use DX or normal lenses on digital SLR...
will there be a significant difference?

DX lenses are specifically lenses made for DSLRs with digital sensor smaller than a 35mm frame. You can't use DX lenses on film SLRs (or full-frame DSLRs if Nikon does come out with one) or you'll get vignetting (a dark ring on the edge of your picture).

However, the converse is not true; you can use full-frame F-mount lenses on DSLRs.

The advantages of DX lenses are immediate: they are smaller and lighter compared to a full-frame lens of the same focal length or range, and is almost always cheaper comparitively.

Optically, there will not be any significant difference between DX and full-frame lenses.

i c...
so it won't b a prob if i get a normal lense 4 a digital SLR rite?
btw thank kewk thank kewk...

Nope nope...perfectly fine...just remember:

DSLR (not full-frame) <- both DX and full-frame ("normal") lenses
Film SLR/full-frame DSLR <- only full-frame lenses

Oh...btw, "lens" in plural is "lenses", not "lense".

since u seem to be jumping on the nikon bandwagon ...i advise u to get ED lenses.....haha....great quality....

personally coz i shoot film alot...i dun see the point in getting DX lenses....furthermore tech is moving ya....who knows when the full frame will come out....then where is the future of dx??

juz my 2 cts worth

cheers

Witness said:
since u seem to be jumping on the nikon bandwagon ...i advise u to get ED lenses.....haha....great quality....

personally coz i shoot film alot...i dun see the point in getting DX lenses....furthermore tech is moving ya....who knows when the full frame will come out....then where is the future of dx??

juz my 2 cts worth

cheers
your friend is considering jumping to canon
come on... we're waiting for u

Status
Not open for further replies.