What's possibly wrong with my kit lens???

gundam77

Aug 3, 2004
SG, Tie Goose
Hi all,

need some advices from anyone here... Lately, my Canon kit lens is giving me problem... It cannot auto focus on anything & can't even take any shots (as in when I half pressed down on the button, it is unable to focus on any object/ area at all)... Initially thought it was my camera's body [450D] giving me problem, but totally no problem when I used my Prime lens to shoot [can focus & shoot]... Sigh!! Can't take much photos with my Prime lens due to its limitations...

Anyone ever faced the same situation as me or can offer me any advice? Can the lens be repaired (or is it worth it?) & how to go about getting it repaired? Do I bring it down to the Canon outlet near Vivo there?? Thanks in advance for all help rendered... :)

Regards.

is it on MF?
is ur subject too near, nearer than the minimum focusing distance?

upgrade kit lens? ;p

Hi all,

need some advices from anyone here... Lately, my Canon kit lens is giving me problem... It cannot auto focus on anything & can't even take any shots (as in when I half pressed down on the button, it is unable to focus on any object/ area at all)... Initially thought it was my camera's body [450D] giving me problem, but totally no problem when I used my Prime lens to shoot [can focus & shoot]... Sigh!! Can't take much photos with my Prime lens due to its limitations...

Anyone ever faced the same situation as me or can offer me any advice? Can the lens be repaired (or is it worth it?) & how to go about getting it repaired? Do I bring it down to the Canon outlet near Vivo there?? Thanks in advance for all help rendered... :)

Regards.

You mean it was okay until recently? How far are you from the subject you are taking (there is a minimum focus distance for any lens). What was the background of the subject you are taking? Do you find this issue across all focal lenght of your lens?

1. Switch is on MF
2. Min. focusing distance.
3. The area is too dark to lock focus.

- the internal wire ribbon wire is broken.
- goto CSC for repair - about $70

if your kit lens is 18- 55 mm, not worth to repair, new one form DD elect only about 150 or less

possible that your lens got hit by the infamous broken flat cable...
photorkd.jpg

Which lens for your kit lens?

The lens is definitely spoilt. Encountered the same issue previously and get a quote of $100 from canon to have it fixed. My advise is to get a new lens instead of sending it to repair.

Wow! Thanks to all the kind bros whom bothered to come into my thread & offered me great advices/ suggestions... Mine is a 18-55mm kit lens. Already in "AF" mode, tried to focus @ various objects of different distance, all cannot focus & take any shots...

After going thru the replies, guess it should be spoilt already... [I dun have nimble fingers, so don't think will take apart the lens myself...] Now wondering if it's worth the $70-$100 repair quotes some bro mentioned by CSC to get it fixed up... So if not worthwhile, what will be a good different lens to recommend (something that can & has the function of the spoilt 18-55mm lens & yet offer some extra functions/ abilities? Will appreciate if recommendations be quoted with rough current price of the lens as on tight budget...)

Million thanks again to all help rendered!!! : )

Wow! Thanks to all the kind bros whom bothered to come into my thread & offered me great advices/ suggestions... Mine is a 18-55mm kit lens. Already in "AF" mode, tried to focus @ various objects of different distance, all cannot focus & take any shots...

After going thru the replies, guess it should be spoilt already... [I dun have nimble fingers, so don't think will take apart the lens myself...] Now wondering if it's worth the $70-$100 repair quotes some bro mentioned by CSC to get it fixed up... So if not worthwhile, what will be a good different lens to recommend (something that can & has the function of the spoilt 18-55mm lens & yet offer some extra functions/ abilities? Will appreciate if recommendations be quoted with rough current price of the lens as on tight budget...)

There are a few options,

1) Go to CSC and as you have stated would cost you $70-$100
2) Go to P&G or Camera Hospital to repair (don't know how much).
3) Buy a 18-55mm lens from BnS section.
4) Look to a new lens - EF-S 17-55mm ($15xx), Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non VC ($5xx-$6xx), Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 with VC ($9XX), Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 (don't know how much), Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 os ($6xx), Tokina 16-50mm (don't know how much).

So actually it is up to you. I would believe that a new 18-55mm IS lens cost something like $2xx to $3xx so if I were you I would not bother to repair, instead I would take this as an opportunity to upgrade ;), most probably I will get the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non VC as my next step up.

Not worth it. Can get new 18-55 from kits @ BnS for 120-140.
Or maybe its god telling u to get better lens :D
some choices if u dun plan to get other lenses would be 18-135 or 18-200 which is a very good vacation lens.
If u wan quality consider the 17-55 or 17-85 and complement with a tele lens 70-200 or 300.

Same problem as you. I sent it in for repair and cost me $75. Definitely WORTH the repair if like me, you are selling it off as part of a camera kit to fund another camera! IF not, its still worth repair as its cheaper than another 'used' kit. CSC also give 3 months warranty on it.