WHATS NEXT FOR M43, after Olympus, what future is left?

Om1 quad Bayer sensor although it has 80mp, not all are used as image pixels. For a start a normal Bayer sensor as 2x number of green pixels than blue or red so it's not a 1 to 1 correlation . It just ended up as marketing hype.

Quad Bayer sensor was first used in smartphone for different application and so can claim 100mp for marketing. Reality is Sony makes high resolution sensor as it make sense in terms of manufacturing economics so that it can also use it as low resolution sensor like a7s series 12mp rather than having different process so economy of scale.

Om1 main problem unlike older DSLR tech with mirror which employ a separate autofocus module for phase and contrast detection. Since it is mirrorless all autofocus function must take place on the sensor hence quad Bayer sensor where half of 80mp is used for phase detection. Why Sony can have 61 mp sensor is because it is fullframe which is 4 times the size of m43. Cannot outsmart law of physics.

Further elaboration in the link below.

Reactions: Limberg
The Sony A9 Mk3 with its Global Sensor is a game changer even though it is only 24mp.
By being able to capture info of all pixels at the same time instead of scanning pixel by pixel
(which causes banding etc from past movement and flickering lights), it is able to achieve
1/32000 shutter speed and 4k at 120fps without cropping.

Suddenly, there is an alternative to OM-1 120 fps pro capture mode without blackout.

But this also prove the point higher resolution may not be best for all usage.
24mp can be sufficient for Flag ship cameras like the Song A9 Mk3 for certain applications.

I’m aware of how quad-Bayer works and how it is used on the OM-1.
However quad Bayer is a CFA layer on top of the photosites and would be a relatively easy process to change without affecting the photodiode design.
So my comment pertains to the fact that you actually do have 80MP worth of photosites, just that in the OM-1, it is addressed differently due to the quad Bayer CFA structure.
I’m not sure where you’re going with the outsmarting physics comment. Much higher pixel densities obviously exists in other sensors. There’s no reason why m43 can’t have 80MP or even higher. It’s more of an issue of practicality.

The Sony A9 Mk3 with its Global Sensor is a game changer even though it is only 24mp.
By being able to capture info of all pixels at the same time instead of scanning pixel by pixel
(which causes banding etc from past movement and flickering lights), it is able to achieve
1/32000 shutter speed and 4k at 120fps without cropping.

Suddenly, there is an alternative to OM-1 120 fps pro capture mode without blackout.

But this also prove the point higher resolution may not be best for all usage.
24mp can be sufficient for Flag ship cameras like the Song A9 Mk3 for certain applications.
I’d consider it a milestone since it’ll be the first time we see it in consumer photography but not exactly game changer given we’ve already seen global shutters in pro cinematography for relatable usage. Actually there will only be a relatively small practical advantage over a fast rolling shutter and we’re yet to find out what the compromises are but ISO 250 base gives a clue. Nevertheless it’s still a milestone for being first in consumer photography.

There were already 120 fps pre capture in the Z9 and Z8 albeit in Jpeg only for the Nikons. And I don’t see a reason why A1 can’t get it with FW update.

May I ask a stupid question?

I chanced upon a Japan online store for lens protector. The price increases like a staircase, from $10 to $100. All made in Japan, I assumed.

How to know whether to buy a $30, $80 or $100?

You mean that protector for the LCD?

Just get from Ebay or any online source from where you are. The JJC type are more than 0.2mm and that renders the screen cannot be flipped close. You need to get those thin film type if you intend to close the LCD.

Or do you mean a lens filter. They come in many varieties like UV, ND etc. but some are purely used as a (physical) protection filter.
Price is usually commensurate to filter size and quality. You have to match it to your lens filter thread size.
I personally don't use it but many do. There's a whole debate over it that I won't go into but in short there's no wrong or right. Whatever you feel comfortable with.

May I ask a stupid question?

I chanced upon a Japan online store for lens protector. The price increases like a staircase, from $10 to $100. All made in Japan, I assumed.

How to know whether to buy a $30, $80 or $100?
What are the brands that you noticed? Lens protectors can go to our camera shops to get. Nikon Arcrest, B&W, Hoya all have good lens filter/protector

Sorry that I didn't make it clearer about the lens protector. I tried not to use the term "filter" because I'm not looking for ND, polariser, and so on. I'm just want to get a 62mm UV aka lens protector, plain vanilla.

The prices are for 62mm UV lens protector and brands listed are:
Hakuba
Fujifilm
Kenko Tokina
Marumi Hikari
Marumikoki
Nikon
Olympus
Sigma
Sony
Carl Zeiss

Btw, this website is by Japan Bic Camera.

Last edited:
Sorry that I didn't make it clearer about the lens protector. I tried not to use the term "filter" because I'm not looking for ND, polariser, and so on. I'm just want to get a 62mm UV aka lens protector, plain vanilla.

The prices are for 62mm UV lens protector and brands listed are:
Hakuba
Fujifilm
Kenko Tokina
Marumi Hikari
Marumikoki
Nikon
Olympus
Sigma
Sony
Carl Zeiss

Btw, this website is by Japan Bic Camera.
Can go for any. Look for protector.

Lens protectors, controversial subject but it's your money. Watch this first. UV filter is needed for film photography days but does digital need it? Does it affect image sharpness. For sure filters like Nd are needed for video.

Honestly I don't think there is much difference for UV filter. Just that the ultra thin ones may reduce the chance of vignetting on ultra wide lenses. For the UV filtering effect, it is no longer relevant if you are doing post processing. Most software like lightroom has a Haze Reduction function.

I looked back, actually, I no longer use UV filter (lens protector) in recent years. On sunny day, I put on the polariser. At night or indoor, I remove the polariser and go naked. Lens protector was such a bread and butter basic until I started using polariser.

Why UV filter aka lens protector now? In the past, I only bought cheaper lens protector aka made outside Japan, cost consideration. Since now I have access to Japanese store, itchy backside, might as well buy my first made in Japan lens protector. After watching the video recommended by "one eye jack", then I recalled, wait, I don't use lens protector anymore. Anyway, now, I'll just buy a cheap made-in-Japan lens protector, just to complete my journey. Lol

Those that goes to the front with a screw thread. I use Kenko, Hoya and B&W. Only for the more expensive lenses. Bare naked for the others.

I don’t use lens caps so a UV or protector filter is a must for all my lenses. Hoya or B+W are the usual choice.

Lens caps to me is bothersome. Either drop or lost when out in the field。

I don’t use lens caps so a UV or protector filter is a must for all my lenses. Hoya or B+W are the usual choice.

Lens caps to me is bothersome. Either drop or lost when out in the field。
Those original replacements cost a fortune. So I changed them to generic the moment I get my lens. Don't feel the pain in loosing them anymore. ;)

Just realised, in Taobao, mostly sold are UV filter. In Japan Bic Camera, mostly sold are lens protector without mentioning UV.

I hope to get this lens protector, Marumi Hikari 62mm EXUS Lens Protection Solid. About S$80, tax included.

The 112g steel ball 1.27m height drop test was impressive.

Be careful with these Chinese trade platforms. Whatever is coming from CN, chances are high it's just a copy. Stick to local shops. Might cost a few Dollars more, but tat last you have SG law on your side for disputes. Check on official company websites whether the product actually exist. Personally, I don't use any lens protectors, lens hood is my choice for years.