What would you do?

The setting listed below is fictional but the main point is a real story.

Hypothetically, I'm working in a small printing firm, mainly dealing with menus for restaurants. Sometimes our customers will ask if we can take some shots of their dishes cos they didn't have one. My boss would ask me to take them because he knew I had a DSLR and had a bit of experience with it. I grudgingly agreed although made some noise about my camera having a "lifespan" (ie. shutter life) of which I wasn't being compensated for.

Two months ago, my boss then decided to get a DSLR for the company. He asked me for recommendations with a budget and I recommended a Canon system.

Last week he came back and smiled at me, saying he bought the camera. He said,'Oh, I bought a Nikon, cos it's a better camera. The guy at the shop told me a lot about cameras that I didn't know. That Canon's main business is in copiers while Nikon's is in cameras. That's why Nikon cameras are better. They know what they are doing. Which makes sense and that's why I bought a Nikon D90." He was all smiles cos he made an "informed choice".

Now I'm supposed to teach anyone who wants to learn to use the camera. Now I have nothing against teaching stuff like Aperture/Shutter/ISO. But being a Canon user, I made it clear that I wouldn't be familiar with the Nikon, nor would I be as comfortable using it. Didn't have the heart to tell him that the D90 may be reaching EOL soon and probably why they wanted to "clear stock".

What would you do? I'm gonna find out which shop is it that said the above...... to be updated.

haha then SONY would be out of business cause they handle camera, phone, laptop, ps3, psp and MANY MANY MANY more haha ... Never trust anyone but yourself :D

I'm use to driving a Toyota.

Give me a Nissan, I'll still be able to drive it after a little while.

Same apply to cameras.

i love how people use the car analogy for cameras..
but its more like

im a toyota, use to driving it

then give me a nissan where the clutch and accelarator are swapped around, you apply the brake with your hand and gear 6 actually means gear 1. ;p

seriously... coming from a canon system then trying out my mates D3 i was like wtfffff hahah the only thing i knew how to work was like the shutter button :sweat:

i love how people use the car analogy for cameras..
but its more like

im a toyota, use to driving it

then give me a nissan where the clutch and accelarator are swapped around, you apply the brake with your hand and gear 6 actually means gear 1. ;p

seriously... coming from a canon system then trying out my mates D3 i was like wtfffff hahah the only thing i knew how to work was like the shutter button :sweat:

Lol, your analogy reminded me of Independence Day, where the crop-duster guy (who was "abducted by aliens") volunteered to fly the F18s and almost set off a missle while on the ground.

Thanks for all the replies guys, just needed to get it off my chest :)

He's the boss. If he so choose to listen to the salesperson rather than the people working with him, then so be it. Some bosses choose to listen to what they WANT to hear, not what the NEED to hear.

For me, I would not say anything till my boss asks me for my opinions or the situation is so dire that she must know about it. Then again, I know my boss well enough to tell her what she needs to hear, even if it means she does not like it.

But you are going to be the end user. Make good use of this opportunity to learn abt Nikon system too and also, use this opportunity to your advantage. Look at it this way. You are learning more now with him pumping in the $$$ for equipment. You are going to improve in your skills and techniques in the near future.

Salute your loyalty to Canon though.

Cheers.

PS: You can also direct your boss to CS to let him find out for himself.