What to do with 10 yr old DSLRs ?

Dear all,

My D70s has been the vent of my photographic enthusiasm and its has served me well. The camera still is going strong. But the last few years of aging process has developed in me a taste for Film . I know I've been poisoned. With F3, F5, Yashica Lynx, holga and a Hasselblad in my cabinet, now I look at my D70s and could think of couple of options,

1. Sell it off and buy few rolls of film with the money
2. Keep it ...and help my son learn 'fundamentals of digital photography'

would love to read thoughts from others.

My son just started his sophomore year in high school and elected to take photography. Being the cheapskate that I am instead of getting him his own camera he gets my hand me down D5K. Hopefully he enjoys the hobby and practices it...if not I want my darn camera back! lol

Dear all,

My D70s has been the vent of my photographic enthusiasm and its has served me well. The camera still is going strong. But the last few years of aging process has developed in me a taste for Film . I know I've been poisoned. With F3, F5, Yashica Lynx, holga and a Hasselblad in my cabinet, now I look at my D70s and could think of couple of options,

1. Sell it off and buy few rolls of film with the money
2. Keep it ...and help my son learn 'fundamentals of digital photography'

would love to read thoughts from others.

I still have my D70 along with the lens I used with it along side my D300 which is in semi retired status since I have the D4. I am keeping them in a nice little corner in my camera cabinet. I have been having fun with Photography since the early days where my first camera was a Nikon FG. I have a lot more Nikon cameras since (35mm film format) which ended with a F5 body and then came DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY thus I jump to DSLR and bought the D70. I still have the Nikon FG with me :) Being that my first 35mm SLR which taught me all the basic fundamentals of photography. So it's the same for my D70 which is still working but the battery has lost it's ability to hold a charge for long heh and it represented the next jump which was to digital. I almost bought the D100 back then but settle for the D70 as it left me with some coins to buy more DX lens heh.

Call me sentiment but I guess both those cameras are my milestones to my fun and work with cameras. My D300 is past it's shutter count but it is still working fine but I just might sell it or give it to someone deserving someday. But the Nikon FG and D70 will remain around for memory sake of the good old days.

Last edited:
Either give it to your son, or just donate it to the less fortunate. Some institutions from time to time welcome old camera donations so the less fortunate can also learn and enjoy photography.

Excellent condition D70 or D70s is worth maybe 100-200 so in the used market nowadays. Not even enough for a small family to eat in a restaurant.

My first DSLR is a D80, it has sentiment value... The big step into DSLR realm.

I got rid of it and never looked back. Hated that lousy camera. Pain in the A to use.

;)

My sentimental attachment is to photos not camera gear, or maybe just not the D80.

Last edited:
Use it to explore other areas of photography?
IR conversion, timelapse, etc