What to check when buying a new Camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuessBoy

Oct 16, 2007
Bukit Batok
Hi,
I just wanted to know what do you usually check when you buying the camera at the shop?
Of course after you already decided which model you going to take etc....
Its going to be the 3rd time i'm buy a pro cam but i nether really know if the thing i'm testing or checking before taking the cam home with me it the right thing i'm doing or forgetting to check more important thing.

1. that all things listed are there....and the price is ok, meaning not a ridiculous price
2. can power up
3. shutter count should not be 100 ot 100 ++ ... haha :)
4. no dead pixel
5. memory card door ok
6. battery door ok
7. no scratches or cracks
8. put lens on can shoot and review pics
9. view finder clean. no dust
10. most importantly, got exchange policy

is there a way to check shutter count on the spot? beside viewing the photos exif info on a computer.

My new D700 has 668 within 1 week! and the number of picture i downloaded is less than 300!.. strange.

too early, there is are 1 or 2 new nikon models coming in 36 hours.;)

I'm going to buy my first DSLR recently, this topic is very useful for me, Just a few questions:

1. How to check dead pixel?
2. How to check shutter counter?
3. Any exchange policy here? I thought as long as you bring camera home, anything bad happen, you need go to service center instead of shop where you bought camera.

THanks alot.

I'm going to buy my first DSLR recently, this topic is very useful for me, Just a few questions:

1. How to check dead pixel?
2. How to check shutter counter?
3. Any exchange policy here? I thought as long as you bring camera home, anything bad happen, you need go to service center instead of shop where you bought camera.

THanks alot.

check dead pixel could take a completely overexposed pic so tt u will get a white image and see if u have any weird pixels...similarly take a completely underexposed and check

2. only way to check shutter is with a exif viewer meant for nikon cameras...do a search online and see...its free...but u need a com to do it....take the picture, then connect the memory card to yr com with the software...and scroll down till u see the camera actuations count...

3. Exchange policy depends on each shop, you could ask them and see...

Let's say I find one or two dead pixels, will shop refuse to change another set for me? as I heard some stories says, if bad pixels are less than certain number (5? 6?), they will refuse to change another one for you. Is that true?

is there a way to check shutter count on the spot? beside viewing the photos exif info on a computer.

My new D700 has 668 within 1 week! and the number of picture i downloaded is less than 300!.. strange.

That is normal. People do test the cameras in shops and may not buy it at the end. Especially for high end cameras, I am not surprised that there are people who just go there to have a feel of it. Also, some sellers do show the capabilities of the cameras to prospective buyers and one of it is to show how fast the fps is.

I have heard of some brand new cameras having a shutter count of over 1k so a few hundreds is normal, nothing to worry about. :)

That is normal. People do test the cameras in shops and may not buy it at the end. Especially for high end cameras, I am not surprised that there are people who just go there to have a feel of it. Also, some sellers do show the capabilities of the cameras to prospective buyers and one of it is to show how fast the fps is.

I have heard of some brand new cameras having a shutter count of over 1k so a few hundreds is normal, nothing to worry about. :)

That's what i'm thinking as well, you make my day!

Anyway, CP has a 1 week 1-1 exchange policy so i guessed i'm safe, fingers crossed.

what i did to check on the day of purchase was, assuming you have did your price research.

1. a simple check of the cam body condition, any tell tale sign of mishandling before
2. mount some lens to test focusing issue
3. the warranty policy
4. check accessories

I think it's important to go to a reputable shop like CP, MS, John 3:16 even the price could be higher than some ABC shop. I happened to come across another shop selling it for 30 bucks cheaper but i end out with CP for a ease of mind in terms of shop reliability.

Ever heard of SLS tricks? quote cheaper price but comes with lots of conditions, must buy this n that, GST not included.

Anyhow, happy buying.

as for exchange policy, must depend on relationship with shops.... that's why it pays to let the same shop earn your money....
they then will be willing to do an exchange for you if anything goes wrong....

ask your good friend who own one and bring you to the same shop he/she brought the dslr
you will be stressed out by the sale person before you know what to buy (most of the time)
UNLESS YOU HAD OWNED ONE BEFORE OR ELSE...

Where is CP? lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.