what software to clean sound?

Superek4

Jun 16, 2011
I am currently using fcx to do it, but the vocals became digital and not warm. What software you guys recommend?

There's 3 which one?

Btw I need Mac based software. Thxs!

Btw I need Mac based software. Thxs!

Hi, You are not doing your part,with the leads given you could have searched and pages of mac related software are there for your choosing.

Anyway here are two which are free and does not expire don't know if nch let you save but audacity has been around a long time.Audio noise reduction can only help to a certain extent and does not negate the need for knowledge of sound recording techniques and good quality hardware
like microphones and signal amplifiers.I'm not a video person but have some hifi knowledge,if you are recording music video try to record in pcm/wav sound format it is uncompressed but file is huge so all information is retained.When processing pcm/wav original ,make another copy by different file name that way if you screw up there's a backup. The fact that you say after noise reduction sound is not warm means the noise reduction algorithm has altered or remove/throw some data away which is not recoverable.Like I said earlier you have to record it with the best hardware you can afford and watch the venue/location you are recording in or better in a studio.All the best.I would recommend audacity. :)
After pcm/wav processing you can convert to the format you choose but I can't be sure it'll sound warm as there are variables as the hardware employed and the final format.

Audio Editing Software. Sound, Music, Voice & Mp3 Editor

How To Remove Ambient Noise From Your Audio Files Using Audacity

Thx bro, I found that audacity also just dunno izzit good. Sorry to be pain in the ass. I m busy searching for a mic for my xa10.

Thx for your help man:)

Thx bro, I found that audacity also just dunno izzit good. Sorry to be pain in the ass. I m busy searching for a mic for my xa10.

Thx for your help man:)

Waiting to be spoonfed? You are big boy with pro grade cam. :) Google xa10 ,it's shooting in AVCHD so compressed mpeg4 that goes for sound track too.It has
built in sound processor like graphic equalizer and noise reduction also I wonder why you want to process further the sound track.Best advice is set sound processing to off and redo the whole track outside with software you like but that would require more work.If you want the sound to be warm or etc. try not to clean up or remove ambient noise too much or at all as that is also part of the music even if it is recorded in studio.The ambient sound and sound reflections in a room gives the listener spatial information/cues like type of room eg.studio ,club or concert hall and the 3D holographic soundstage if you care about quality.Get a microphone that has wide frequency range preferably audio type 20 - 20 Khz. as most mics are for speech 300 - 5Khz or 8khz.Worst case 20 -10Khz. or better.
So you don't get the low and high frequencies.That's why you say sound not warm, thin sounding,like from a tin can or pocket transistor radio. All the best.

Last edited:
Soundtrack pro

Soundtrack pro was incorporated into FCP X, so you'll find some decent EQs and noise reduction tools in it. What is your definition of warmth? If you're looking for analog warmth, you can download Vinyl from iZotope. It's a free plugin that will add hiss and crackle onto your tracks. Other noise specialized tools are Cedar Audio, iZotope RX 2, Waves Restoration Suite, WaveArts Master Restoration. There's BIAS Soundsoap as well, but I reckon you're better off with EQs and expanders than using that. But it all depends on what you're trying to do and your level of competency.

I suggest learning to clean up your sounds with EQs, then use an expander with a reasonable threshold, probably where the noise floor is, and use a soft knee so you don't have a 'pumping' effect. You will have to replace the missing ambience with another clean ambience track. When the simple tools aren't good enough, it means that more care needs to be taken during production. Better tools cost more money and even more time, and reshoots are at times a much simpler and cost effective option.

What TS mean by the term warmth is the quality of sound whether it's vocal or instrumental as experienced in a
pure analogue recording or playback.Sound is integral part of film making but unfortunately most young filmmakers
have been listening to digital playback since the day they were born.The only things analogue is the voice,instruments and microphone.The rest is all digital in process.So the only experience of analogue is the everyday sounds that they hear and live music.Just compare a live sound versus playback and you immediately
get to know the difference.Can digital approximate analogue quality? Yes if you understand analogue and
digital recording technology but I think this is barely touched on in a film making course or curriculum.

Imagine a blob of sound coming from the middle of the screen ,it's like a headless voice without the feel of the body,in other words disconnected.Compare it with a good digital reproduction of analogue you will know the voice
comes from a human body and instruments have their placing in the sound stage with the ambience of the place.
In other words a 3D experience.It is not likely you can get everything from a camcorder.Just research music recording forums,the questions asked often are what microphone/placemeent,amplifier/mixer hardware and software best suited to get a good approximation of analogue sound that is natural to the real world.

Tape hiss is an artifact of analogue and playback process,pops and crackles you get when vinyl record has dirt in the grooves both of which are minimised to the extent that it does not detract from a good analogue playback.Digital sound is clean so where do you think the problem is? Adding hiss and pop/crackles do not make
a recording sound analogue :)

Once audio is screwed up at the recording phase, it can only mean compromised range through noise removal. Depending on the frequency of the noise, the "cleaned" audio will lose those frequency that software like sound soap remove. Most software employ the same technique: defining the offending frequencies, then "subtract" them.