What size of lens should i use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shierly

Nov 11, 2004
Punggol
Hi all, i'm a new bird here with my 1st DigiCam Panasonic Lumix FZ20. I have read some of ur comments from forum, but don't understand some of the thing. This is my questions:
1.) I have experienced that by using the original FZ20 adaptor with UV filter, i must use ext flash to avoid the shadow cause by the adaptor. Will the shadow problem solve by using step down phayee?

2.) How much step down diameter i must choose to avoid that shadow, and at the same time i still can use the internal flash? (sometime internal flash is just nice, and i may not need to use ext flash)

3.) What size of lens should i use if i decided to use a step down adapter?
Any suggestion?

4.) anyone try to solve this problm? what is ur config/setting of ur camera?
Phayee adapter with 62mm lens can solve my problem?

Any comment from experts? pls help.
Thank you very much.

Welcome to Lumix world !

Yes to most of your question.
Better still read the Lumix FAQ sticky where u will find all the answers u need to know abt the cam, accessories.... as we have responsed too much x already.

PLUG is another way to get the answer to your queries and see others equiping their cam. Check out PLUG notice board for details

Have fun ! ;)

Shierly said:
Hi all, i'm a new bird here with my 1st DigiCam Panasonic Lumix FZ20. I have read some of ur comments from forum, but don't understand some of the thing. This is my questions:
1.) I have experienced that by using the original FZ20 adaptor with UV filter, i must use ext flash to avoid the shadow cause by the adaptor. Will the shadow problem solve by using step down phayee?

2.) How much step down diameter i must choose to avoid that shadow, and at the same time i still can use the internal flash? (sometime internal flash is just nice, and i may not need to use ext flash)

3.) What size of lens should i use if i decided to use a step down adapter?
Any suggestion?

4.) anyone try to solve this problm? what is ur config/setting of ur camera?
Phayee adapter with 62mm lens can solve my problem?

Any comment from experts? pls help.
Thank you very much.

1) I guess u are shooting at the widest (eg 1x zoom), at the widest the internal flash will cast a centre shadow. maybe u can zoom in a bit and walk a bit further. It should solve the centre shadow problem. Same problem will occur if u use the lotus hood that come with FZ20

2) The phayee adaptor only step down to size 62mm. I think the centre shadow problem will be solve if u zoom in more...

3) The filter size would be 62mm, as the phayee adaptor step down to size 62mm thread

4) Can try zooming in a little instead of shooting at full wide.

Note: after u get ur phayee adaptor, the original lotus hood cannot be used.

Cheers...

Once u got ur Phayee 62mm adapter. u can consider a 62mm lotus hood which can match ur adapter welly. As HJ mention, it will not fit at all. 72mm vs 62mm.

Howdy also mention, "PLUG"! Do join in for the future PLUG session organise by the Pana guys!!

Ur answer is straight to the point once u get in touch by the rest! :thumbsup:

Thanks for ur helps. Is that any reason to change to 62mm if it can't solve the shadow problem? So can i conclude that i still can use 72mm by zoom in a little bit in stead of switch to 62mm? If i switch to 62mm, have to change all to 62mm, buy the phayee adapter, lotus hood, lens cap and the lenses that i need(i need cir pol and close up). Anyone know how much it's actually costs?

Actually i don't want to spend too much, bought this cam already spend me alot :cry: , still not include the accessories yet. I think i may buy a wrong camera as it's too pro to me :confused: Although it's a good cam, but i have very little time to learn and play with it. It's a waste to use this as a point - to -shoot camera :( :(

Anyway, i still need ur commemt and suggestion on my above questions. Thanks

I think 62mm is better than 72mm. Less of a chance for vignetting?

wrx_sti_22b said:
I think 62mm is better than 72mm. Less of a chance for vignetting?

When using 72mm with the stock adapter, I believe the filter will be
placed further away from the FZ20 len, thus will affect quality.

Phayee 62mm adapter will placed the filter much more nearer to the len.
And getting 62mm filter will be cheaper than 72mm.

Well, I think it might be good if someone shoot using the built-in flash and Phayee adaptor. It will be easier for Shirley to see the different. Likewise, can be included the in the noticeboard for future reference.

Cheers
John

I tested my FZ10 with PA + 62mm UV filter at 0X zoom, no shadow.

Below pic is with the PA + 62mm UV + Phayee Lotus Hood at 0X:
A.jpg

Notice the semi circle shadow on the center lower part?

Below pic is with the same as above but zoom till around 2X or near to 2X:
B.jpg

Notice the semi circle shadow gone?

For me if shooting with the Lotus Hood, I will be using external flash
prevent the shadow case by the hood.

Shierly said:
Thanks for ur helps. Is that any reason to change to 62mm if it can't solve the shadow problem? So can i conclude that i still can use 72mm by zoom in a little bit in stead of switch to 62mm? If i switch to 62mm, have to change all to 62mm, buy the phayee adapter, lotus hood, lens cap and the lenses that i need(i need cir pol and close up). Anyone know how much it's actually costs?

Actually i don't want to spend too much, bought this cam already spend me alot :cry: , still not include the accessories yet. I think i may buy a wrong camera as it's too pro to me :confused: Although it's a good cam, but i have very little time to learn and play with it. It's a waste to use this as a point - to -shoot camera :( :(

Well, if you dun wish to see shadow cast by the tube adaptor, simply remove the tube adapter. Without any tube adapters at all, should be no problem at all using internal flash. just remember to cap with the Lumix cap once not in use.

rhair78 said:
Well, if you dun wish to see shadow cast by the tube adaptor, simply remove the tube adapter. Without any tube adapters at all, should be no problem at all using internal flash. just remember to cap with the Lumix cap once not in use.

With just PA tube using internal flash, no shadow cast.

Shierly said:
I think i may buy a wrong camera as it's too pro to me :confused: Although it's a good cam, but i have very little time to learn and play with it. It's a waste to use this as a point - to -shoot camera :( :(

Since already have the camera and money spent... why not join in with PLUG and learn to make full use of it, maybe it could turn out that all that "pro" function not that difficult to use after all just needs practice.

It could be a turn-around for you and who knows maybe you'll be glad that you bought this camera, as it does many functions that you'd never thought you could do and the zoom range??? what can I say? excellent... don't believe me, see this thread. :D

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=128453

../azul123

Thanks for all the information sharing. Especially the photos, that is the semi shadow that i talking about.Mm.... regarding the PLUG, i would like to join but due to my working schedule, i may not able to join lor... After reading all the comments and suggestions, at least i have some idea now. Haiz... I was wondering how come the accessaories given in the Panasonic package are so useless:(

By the way, if i want to use CP and close up together, do i still need any adapter in between lenses? Can just stack this 2 lens to the PA? how abt UV lens? still have to put in? What is the sequence of stacking the lens? Uv is most outer lens?Sorry for so much question.

I'm thinking of buying the PA, close up lens and CP filter and last the lens cap. If there is any one who want to let go the above item, pls PM me ur offer. Thank you very much :)

yes u can stack multiple filters, but it is not advisable to stack a lot, because the more things u stack the lesser the clarity.

Shierly said:
Thanks for all the information sharing. Especially the photos, that is the semi shadow that i talking about.Mm.... regarding the PLUG, i would like to join but due to my working schedule, i may not able to join lor... After reading all the comments and suggestions, at least i have some idea now. Haiz... I was wondering how come the accessaories given in the Panasonic package are so useless

By the way, if i want to use CP and close up together, do i still need any adapter in between lenses? Can just stack this 2 lens to the PA? how abt UV lens? still have to put in? What is the sequence of stacking the lens? Uv is most outer lens?Sorry for so much question.

I'm thinking of buying the PA, close up lens and CP filter and last the lens cap. If there is any one who want to let go the above item, pls PM me ur offer. Thank you very much :)

PLUG is held every first saturday of the mth. Timing is from noon till... :dunno: Depending on the day itself.
Try to make urself free then.

As for the qtn u asked, if u wan to use a CP, its either u stack on top of the UV filter or you can take out the UV and mount the CP onto the adapter. Its up to u. Normally, I prefer not to remove my UV once its mount on to prevent dirt from visiting my lens. :bsmilie:

As Kavana mentioned, dun stack up too much. Image might degrade. :) :lovegrin:

josho said:
PLUG is held every first saturday of the mth. Timing is from noon till... :dunno: Depending on the day itself.
Try to make urself free then.

As for the qtn u asked, if u wan to use a CP, its either u stack on top of the UV filter or you can take out the UV and mount the CP onto the adapter. Its up to u. Normally, I prefer not to remove my UV once its mount on to prevent dirt from visiting my lens. :bsmilie:

As Kavana mentioned, dun stack up too much. Image might degrade. :) :lovegrin:

If u stack too much, u will get vignetting... i think 2 is still okie... must try then can see the results...

Hong Jia said:
If u stack too much, u will get vignetting... i think 2 is still okie... must try then can see the results...

yah. i mention 2. Did i say 3? :bsmilie:

josho said:
yah. i mention 2. Did i say 3? :bsmilie:

Did i say u say 3... nope right... haaaa..

Josh ---> :flush:

Hong Jia said:

My FZ10 with PA - UV > CPL - no vignetting.
If - UV > CPL > Hood - vignetting till 1X zoom.

Anyone tried with PA Adapter -> UV filter -> 62mm-55mm step-down ring -> WCON07
Will it cause any vignetting? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.