what setup would you bring oversea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gng overseas soon...only have my D40 w kit lens...thinking of getting a 18-200mm, speedlight and tripod. BBB again :sweat:

Body+18-200vr+10.5mm+50mm 1.8)+SB600+Manfrotto 055CL+ Gitzo ballhead+2 spare batteries & charger+8 AA batteries & charger+ Laptop+GFLS2+Cleaning kit.

not sure, but with my current setup most probably only:
d50 + Tokina 12-24 + Tamron 28-75 and 2x TC <~ very useful for close up when used with 28-75. ;)

interesting.

thanks for the reply.
plz if possible include your reasons

Just back from my China holiday, this is what I carried:
1. Backpack - Lowepro minitrekker
2. Camera - Nikon D100
3. Lens - main AFD20-35 & AFD85, seldom used 16mm & 105mm
4. Photo accessory - Manfrotto tripod, Nikon SB80DX flash, 6x 1GB CF cards, 3x camera battery, CPL filter, 4x AA battery, battery charger, lens tissue, airblower
5. Non-photo accessory - Swiss army knife, Bandaid, tissue, pen, small paper pad, small plastic bag, gloves

No laptop, no handgrip, no telezoom, these heavy weights are just too heavy for a holiday.

I'm gng overseas soon...only have my D40 w kit lens...thinking of getting a 18-200mm, speedlight and tripod. BBB again :sweat:

Not sure if a tripod would be more of a chore to carry around than useful...guys any advice?

sorry but would you plz start your thread and not hijeck this one.

guys, you all travel along or with family? dun you all find your gears some wat heavy?
at when travelling, would ppl wait for you all to shoot? or do you all not setup at all?

sorry but would you plz start your thread and not hijeck this one.

Oops sorry didn't think of it as hijacking...my bad =)

guys, you all travel along or with family? dun you all find your gears some wat heavy?
at when travelling, would ppl wait for you all to shoot? or do you all not setup at all?

it's not really heavy.. main thing is to get a backpack with good back support... balances the weight on both shoulders...and get a lighter tripod...
i travel to see the world and i want to capture it at it's best.. if i'm not going to bring my gear i might as well not buy it in the first place... i don't have the time and money to go on pure photography trips so i have no choice but to lug my gear during holidays with my family..

i travel with family (occasionally friends).. and sure they don't mind waiting for me to shoot.. coz they know i'll give them a copy of the photos... the rest of my travelling group usually use really compact pns that are really hard to use esp at night... so i kinda end up being the main photog.. the downside? u see everybody else's face but yours in the photos....

setting up also can be quite fast, if u don't need a tripod, just turn on the cam and shoot..
if u do, setting up a tripod is just a matter of seconds, esp if u practise enough... getting the RRS L plates also help, so u don't have to adjust the tripod head when shooting portraits.. just turn the camera..

i travel to see the world and i want to capture it at it's best.. if i'm not going to bring my gear i might as well not buy it in the first place..

i agree with you and hear you loud and clear.

interesting.

thanks for the reply.
plz if possible include your reasons
well, my other lens is 80-200, which is a little too big/heavy to really bring it for oversea. so a compromise would be 28-75 with a 2x TC which fortunately gave me a way to go into close close-up (1:1.85)... only thing is have to stop down to f4 or f5.6 onwards for sharp result.

a recent take (f2.8, f5.6 effectively with TC)
and of cos when stopped down
example <~ all taken with that 28-75 and 2x TC (stopped down) ;p

basically just like that, until I got the $ to get new lens...

I would also buy insurance. Just in case. :sweat:

Well those tons of stuff are TOO heavy for a cheerful holiday isn't it?

I'll be going holiday this month, just planning to bring 30D and 28-135, 2 x 2G, 2 batt, Charger & that's it.

Not going for War :bsmilie:

Going Melbourne end of March, lugging my 300D + kit + 50mm + CPL + 500 DG + spare batts + cleaning it. Reason for choice of equipments? Coz that's all i have :bsmilie:

Anyway the range suffice and if budget permits BBB, i'll get a 17-40 f4L to replace the kit :sweatsm:

and then the 24- 105 f4L, 70 -200 F4 L, 30D....

:lovegrin:

i see most of the ppl here are very healthy and strong. lol.
i would agree to bring basic items.
for me i would bring 30D + 16-35 +50/26-75 + 580EX
i would for go the tele because i currently dun hold one and it would really be too heavy.

Before Marriage:

-DSLR Body
-12~24mm
-50mm
-80~200mm
-Assorted filters
-Flashgun
-Chargers
-Tripod
......and one helluva heavy bag.

AFTER Marriage:

-DSLR Body
-18~200 VR
-Flashgun

:bsmilie:

but....the 18~200VR Rocks!

i will leave my DSLR at home, and bring my Fuji S9500 out. the range over almost everything. 28-300mm f2.8-f4.9 :cool:

Body+18-200vr+10.5mm+50mm 1.8)+SB600+Manfrotto 055CL+ Gitzo ballhead+2 spare batteries & charger+8 AA batteries & charger+ Laptop+GFLS2+Cleaning kit.

and your portable HDD storage device...and lots of alkaline/rechargeable batteries for the flash, if u going to a not-so-advance countries..

my experience (i cannot get any batteries at some of the India states...damn desperate then..)no batteries, no backup, no flash...

hey GilbertGoh,

sorry to borrow ur thread to ask some question..i will remove if is not alrite with u..

hi guys...am going to virginia for 3 weeks and will stay with my aunt's place...believe will be move around so was thinking of getting an OTG or should i just buy a protable HDD n my notebook (Compy property) ....to store pic and i also tot of shoot Raw for most of the pic..just want to know how u guys plan n do for such, tks...

Canon 350D (with battery grip)
EF 28-135
EF 50 F/1.8
Speedlite 430EX
Creative Zen Vision W
Extra CF card
Domke bag
Blower
Lens cleaning cloth
MagLite Solitaire
Leatherman Squirt P4
PnS