What setting to use for indoors and low light condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamintay

Mar 16, 2009
Singapore
Hi, I'm using a 40D and I can't seem to take photos indoors without having blur image unless I turn up my Iso or exposure.Using a cosina 19-35 f/3.5-4.5, despite having a filter size of 77mm I cannot seem to take photo's without it being blur or noisy.

1) Up your ISO
2) Use flash
3) Use prime lens

Either one of those, 2nd is the best.

Use tripod if necessary.

Hi, I'm using a 40D and I can't seem to take photos indoors without having blur image unless I turn up my Iso or exposure.Using a cosina 19-35 f/3.5-4.5, despite having a filter size of 77mm I cannot seem to take photo's without it being blur or noisy.

Use a faster lens.. mmm.. example.. 50 f1.8? or get a flash :)

Shoot in burst mode, shoot five or more shots by holding the shutter button down.

With pictures taken one after another, there is surely to be at least one photo out of the bunch that is sharp.

Try to bump up your ISO and use an external flash unit.

Maybe you can try playing around the settings in the M-mode by varying the shutter speed and aperture size.

Let the flash settle the exposure.

:)

Based on the way you phrased your question, one can only surmise that you are very new at this.

My advise is, shoot in normal condition, where there is sufficient light, learn the basic, before venturing into low light environments.

Don't run before you master walking.

Filter size has nothing to do with taking sharp or blur pics....

You need to learn more about exposure....

There is a minimum shutter speed that you need to maintain to freeze motion.

Take your time..
Shoot more and eventually you will get it!
Gambatte!:p

what does filter size have to do with whether the picture is

NOISY or BLUR?

have you checked for any front or back focusing issues?

Just use a flash, and filter size has nothing gotta do with your photos being sharp or blur.

you have many many options.. many csers has already pointed out earlier... just a simply summary here.

for without changing camera and lenses.

• start with using high ISO
  • if don't like noise, use wide open aperture
  • if not enough DOF, use slow shutter speed
  • if can't hand held, use tripod
  • if don't have tripod, turn on or brighten the ambient light
  • if can't increase the ambient light, use flash.

if can't or don't have or don't want to use flash, go back to the first option

Filter size has nothing to do with taking sharp or blur pics....

You need to learn more about exposure....

There is a minimum shutter speed that you need to maintain to freeze motion.

Generally a larger maximum aperture (faster lens)=larger diameter lens.

A larger diameter lens needs a larger filter, TS is not totally wrong.

you have many many options.. many csers has already pointed out earlier... just a simply summary here.

for without changing camera and lenses.

• start with using high ISO
  • if don't like noise, use wide open aperture
  • if not enough DOF, use slow shutter speed
  • if can't hand held, use tripod
  • if don't have tripod, turn on or brighten the ambient light
  • if can't increase the ambient light, use flash.

if can't or don't have or don't want to use flash, go back to the first option

catchlights' right:)

my suggestion is to use a stable tripod for low light or night photography.

also try to adjust your white balance (WB) settings aside from increasing your ISO. sometimes auto WB cannot compensate on night to low light situations.

just remember higher ISO means more noise as well:)

hope this helps:)

One thing to consider is that is what you want in your picture. In events such as concerts etc, you may not want to use flash as it takes away the color or the range/distance is too far.

In most situations, I prefer to up my ISO instead of using a flash. As mentioned on top, it may be a good idea to use a tripod as well.

Yup. Night photography better to use a tripod, if your hand is still not steady enough. ;)
And put it on timer!

Status
Not open for further replies.