What makes a photo special?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsbn

Jul 24, 2002
Planet Eropagnis
Yesterday I was at Wisma and Arts Central was having some kind of photo exhibition. Whilst looking at the photos, it made me wonder, "What makes all these photos so special?"

- The plain fact that they are taken by celebrity artistes, personalities & photographers?
- The special element in all these photos called 'Moments'?
- The type of camera that was used (this is out of the point since there are a couple of photos taken with so-called 'non-pro models' like Canon 350D)?

As for this thing we call 'capturing moments', for example a unique shot and pose that was captured at a sporting event, do we expect the pose as a result of certain actions and capture it or is 'capturing moments' a result of a totally unexpected, unanticipated move and that u're fast enuff to capture it?

jsbn said:
a result of certain actions and capture it or is 'capturing moments' a result of a totally unexpected, unanticipated move and that u're fast enuff to capture it?

You need both. This is what photography skills is all about. This is what separate you from the crowd. Another two factors that are needed but not essentially a must:

1) Effective lighting

2) Convincing and alluring composition

-------------------------------------------------
To be what you want to be as a photographer
start analysing the best practices and techniques
using by past masters as well as leading learning
photographers from this earth. Not sure whether
the aliens are bothered to make pictures like us! :)

when others see what you want them to see, and it becomes even more special when they see something else.

IMO, the most important is context and content that can stir your emotions.

If say, a so called technically badly taken snapshot show your loved ones during a memorable event, that is a special photo. A photo with good composition and lighting and nothing to stir your emotions is just a static and lifeless one, like most landscape photos.

Emotion. A foto that capture the emotion of the moment will touch its viewers.

That's how John Clang failed to impress Singaporean, he had to open his mouth to explain the emotion of his work...he he

Max 2.8 said:

That's how John Clang failed to impress Singaporean, he had to open his mouth to explain the emotion of his work...he he

there's no need to put him down. his artworks might not have convinced alot of people, but they work for others.

what makes a photograph special? Life.

eikin said:
there's no need to put him down. his artworks might not have convinced alot of people, but they work for others.

what makes a photograph special? Life.

He:thumbsd:

Max 2.8 said:

Erm... pardon me but who IS John Clang? :embrass:

tao said:
IMO, the most important is context and content that can stir your emotions.

If say, a so called technically badly taken snapshot show your loved ones during a memorable event, that is a special photo. A photo with good composition and lighting and nothing to stir your emotions is just a static and lifeless one, like most landscape photos.
Hmm.... I suppose u mean this way?

So much as we try to control technical aspects of a photo by metering off a subject-background correctly, trying to face the sun instead of turning our backs to the sun, using the best technology utilised in (D)SLRs but a technically competent photo means nothing and is nothing compared to a technically bad photo but carries a deep meaning to it?

The philosophy behind photography other than learning the technicalities... I think I've got much to learn. :think:

One that gives a lasting impression. After you have seen it, then you close your eyes - the picture's still in your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.