What lighting equips are required for indoor portrait?

Gerald Lam CK

Jul 2, 2009
Admiralty
glamphotography-ck.blogspot.com
Hihi...im thinking of buy light stands, umbrellas, soft box for indoor, low light shoot or outdoor evening shoot. But i don't what i should buy...for portraits should i buy soft box or umbrellas? Does it matters? And how many i shd buy? 2 light stands enough?

I'm also keen on food photography so is there a set up that can complement both purposes? What's the minimum budget i shd set aside for these? I'm not thinking of those high end one..just those cheap and affordable ones in mass sales...maybe under $150 to $200? Possible?

Question for you: How many flash guns do you have now?

flash gun? i oni got 1 x external flash...

If you only have one external flash (we call flash gun sometimes), why are you thinking of 2 light stands, 2 soft box, 2 umbrellas...?

Unless you want to buy another external flash, then I understand.

if u only have 1 flash, just get one umbrella, stand etc... then use some reflectors... put on a few chairs ard and u have some nice lighting...

If you only have one external flash (we call flash gun sometimes), why are you thinking of 2 light stands, 2 soft box, 2 umbrellas...?

Unless you want to buy another external flash, then I understand.

i can always buy another flash..coz if 1 flash/ umbrella then will cast shadow on the model/ food rite? So 1 flash also works?

if u only have 1 flash, just get one umbrella, stand etc... then use some reflectors... put on a few chairs ard and u have some nice lighting...

This also can? so i can get 1 light stand, umbrella and some reflectors (reflectors are the shiny silver ones or white Styrofoam? Btw what's the diff betw strobes/ softbox and using umbrella har?

i can always buy another flash..coz if 1 flash/ umbrella then will cast shadow on the model/ food rite? So 1 flash also works?

This also can? so i can get 1 light stand, umbrella and some reflectors (reflectors are the shiny silver ones or white Styrofoam? Btw what's the diff betw strobes/ softbox and using umbrella har?
this thread very new, only two days old.

Shoot thru umbrellas vs softbox

strobes are the light, softbox is just the cloth like box to soften the light from the strobe of flash gun.. umbrella usually is to reflect flash gun...

why not? use some reflectors etc... i've seen a case where its a strobe from behind, point to a reflector infront to the right of model, with another on the left of model... the one on right reflects some light onto the reflector on left, and onto the other side of models face... something like that, hard to use words... but i hope u can imagine....

but this is just one possibility, u can experiment, light from above, from below, right side, both side etc...

nissin 622 cannot trigger wirelessly for canon.

hmm...so i need to buy a wireless trigger?

bro, i already said CANNOT trigger wirelessly so why would you need a wireless trigger?

i can trigger it optically now aka from another off shoe flash that im using.

id suggest selling it off and getting a pair of 430 ex ii

Hi bro,

unfortunately, ur nissin 622 canon cannot be triggered wirelessly, so no point getting the wireless trigger, but if u get another flash which can be triggered wirelessly, then u still can use ur 622 as an effective slave loh : )

u dont need complicated equipments anyway, all u need is an umbrella, for me i prefer to use reflective. but its really up to u. u dont even need a light stand, some pp use tripods and simply mount their umbrella holder on the tripod.

and u probably need a reflector as well. in short, to do a glamorous shots, the most simple way is... one flash light, one umbrella and one reflector, thats it. there are so many techniques available actually. tsk tsk. hope the info helps.