What lenses should newbie have for Canon 50D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
u guys all scared him away la.

normally the second lens photographer's purchase is the 50 f1.8 because it's cheap and gd.

but then again, don't BBB.

He just created the account, so guess not so active here yet.
Give TS sometimes to think about it.

To all newbies, please don't ask qns of such as above, will only invite all sorts of criticism.

If you are new, stick with what you have till you discover what kind of shots you like then go for those lens that you need (notice the emphasis is on the word "need").

If you are damn rich or just want to show off, ignore what I have type and proceed with whatever purchases you want then.

Just my personal thoughts. No offence intended.

Sadly that thats the way it seems in this newbie forum nowadays, one-upsmanship in bombarding the newbie.

No doubt the question is vague, but giving the benefit of the doubt, we can simply ask questions to clarify his/her requirements.

1) What do you wish to shoot that is not possible with your 18-200?
2) what is your budget?

Simple

Sadly that thats the way it seems in this newbie forum nowadays, one-upsmanship in bombarding the newbie.

No doubt the question is vague, but giving the benefit of the doubt, we can simply ask questions to clarify his/her requirements.

1) What do you wish to shoot that is not possible with your 18-200?
2) what is your budget?

Simple

Hi, it's just my personal thoughts, not meaning to bombard the newbie (not forgetting I was one before and I ask all the "wrong" questions and kanna too! Haha..... but most importantly, I learn what to ask the "hard" way). Still, there are way too many newbies asking similar questions, the main culprit is the BBB virus at work. Most just want to show off and help boost the economy. What a pure waste of money, a visit to some 3rd world countries would help to "correct" their mindset. Again, I stress this is just my personal thoughts. No intention to offend.

Last edited:
There seems to be a great prevalance of the thought that "if only I bought this ______ (lens/flash/etc), my photos would definitely turn out better"...
and hence there are a lot of posts asking for recommendations for what to buy, as though there is this one legendary (yet affordable) must-have item which will improve one's photography...

i understand asking vague qns tend to irritate those who alr know alot.

i am also a newbie so i try to read as much as i can before asking... :)

thank u pppl for not flaming me.lol

hahah.. Stick with ur 18-200mm.. Thats what i got right now, coz u can do wide and telephoto at the same time. and since u got the 18-200mm, start with it and keep taking photos, and u will find out what kind of lens u need, whether it'll be wide angle or telephoto, low light or something else.

I hope TS is still reading this thread...

You already have a good camera and a very good all round lens to start with. Give this combo 3 to 6 months time. After that,

[1] look at the photo Exif that you took and see what focal length most of them fall under. e.g. if you are into landscape, most likely it will be in the wide angle side of 18-35mm. If you take a lot of portraiture, most likely it will fall under 50-100mm. For birding, it will most likely stayed at 200mm permanently and want longer reach...

[2] take a look at the quality of your photo image, are you happy with them? If not, do you think it is your skills that is lacking? Or, will a better lens help improve the photos? At this point, if your technical side is of no problem, you will most likely noticed things such as blurry image perhaps due to low light and the lens' aperture is not wide enough. Or, when pushing the ISO to above 1,600 and the noise become unacceptable. Or, the background blur (bokeh) is not good enough.

[3] combine the results of [1] & [2] and you will get your favorite focal length and the shortcoming of your 18-200mm lens, you can then decide on what lens to take a closer look at. Most likely the better lenses that have a bigger aperture prime or zoom lenses.

At that point, come back and ask again. But then, you might already have your question answered at that point...

Last edited:
though i'm a Nikon user... but i personally think there are a few lenses that a Canon user "must" have...

17mm TS-E
65mm TS-E Macro
135mm f2 soft focus
14mm f1.4L prime
100mm f2.8L Macro
50mm f1.2L prime

hmmm that's quite all about it... happy "collecting"...
Why do you think these are the MUST HAVE lenses?

Wow, newbie but already using a 50D! :bigeyes:

TS: I am a newbie too, using Canon 500D. Right now still exploring with my EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens and the EF 50mm f/1.8 II.

Personal advise is for you to stick with your existing gears, play around more with it before getting any additional lens etc. If you are really into portrait shots, you might wanna try out the 50mm f/1.8...good enough and easily affordable. If you have more monies to spend then go for 50mm f/1.4:bsmilie:

I feel that there are much more things to explore in photography then just buying new lens and equipment. No point spending so much money upgrading/buying new lens and missing out on the skills and techniques you would have learnt otherwise. Take your time to explore, learn, find out the types of pictures you like/want to take and get the lens and equipment that will ultimately meet your needs :D

Just my 2 cents worth of thoughts :)

Oops, thanks for too many response :thumbsup:
First, I am not that rich to show off or whatever... :(
Next, my concerned objects are non-human.
I decided to purchase 18-200 just because I need to take a picture of an object from reasonable distance and sometime, need to take a close shot (really love this). Still playing around with 18-200
I was recommended for these lens: 35, 50, 85 and 10-22. However, due to fixed budget, could not afford all and also, I am not lens collector :D
As the subject question, just wonder which lens newbie should have and use most of the time.
Last but not least, all suggestions/recommendations/objections are appreciated.
Regards.

Last edited:
Want more close up? 300 f/2.8L IS. This is what i will get if i strike Toto on thurs.
file_3_3.jpg

Or take landscape?

Realistically speaking, 17-40 f/4L is good, less than 1.5k should be able to get a brand new one.
canon_ef_17-40_f4l_usm_1.jpg

Last edited:
thanhbp said:
Oops, thanks for too many response :thumbsup:
First, I am not that rich to show off or whatever... :(
Next, my concerned objects are non-human.
I decided to purchase 18-200 just because I need to take a picture of an object from reasonable distance and sometime, need to take a close shot (really love this). Still playing around with 18-200
I was recommended for these lens: 35, 50, 85 and 10-22. However, due to fixed budget, could not afford all and also, I am not lens collector :D
As the subject question, just wonder which lens newbie should have and use most of the time.
Last but not least, all suggestions/recommendations/objections are appreciated.
Regards.

Nobody should recommend you lenses of such variety, unless he/she or you don't really know what you want. In that case, you really shouldn't be looking to buy another lens if you don't know what you want.
Your question "which lens newbie should have..." can be answered with "the one that can take the intended shots". Honestly, it's a vague question.
The newbie birding enthusiast will be looking at long focal length lenses.
The newbie travel photographer might be looking at 18-55 or maybe 18-200.

Nobody should recommend you lenses of such variety, unless he/she or you don't really know what you want. In that case, you really shouldn't be looking to buy another lens if you don't know what you want.
Your question "which lens newbie should have..." can be answered with "the one that can take the intended shots". Honestly, it's a vague question.
The newbie birding enthusiast will be looking at long focal length lenses.
The newbie travel photographer might be looking at 18-55 or maybe 18-200.
Noted with thanks ... :D
My mistakes... it was supposed to be 35 or 50 or 85...
Will stick with 18-200 then...
Thanks again ;)

Why do you think these are the MUST HAVE lenses?

i don't think i need to explain why i think these are the must have lenses... if you don't like it then don't buy... i'm not telling you to buy... ;p

Noted with thanks ... :D
My mistakes... it was supposed to be 35 or 50 or 85...
Will stick with 18-200 then...
Thanks again ;)

Enjoy the process of taking photographs, improving your skills so that each subsequent photo outing yields better and better results.
Try avoiding the dreaded "gear acquisition syndrome"... :)

35mm lens on a cropped body will give you approx the 50mm view on a film SLR/FX camera.
This is the lens that a large number of film photographers used to leave on their cameras most of the time, giving the "normal" field of view.

50mm and 85mm are both telephoto on a 50D. They would likely be used less frequently, though can yield really wonderful results when used at the appropriate time.

TS - No offence I hope with my previous postings. :)

Last but not least, just learn and enjoy using your current equipments 1st.
Fyi, it took me almost 2 years to upgrade from 400D to 40D and almost 2.5 years to upgrade from kit lens to current 15-85. Some of my friends still using 350D. :thumbsup:

Happy Shooting~! :bsmilie:

You need this:

canon-ef-1200mm.jpg

WTF is this lens! OMG! i thought those use in the soccer match was big! 1200mm? wats the F value?

Status
Not open for further replies.